PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in ZCL?

Deviance
12-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Ok boys and girls as you noticed there hasn't been any updates to ZCL what so ever. So here is the deal. I coded as much as I could think jampacked in one little app like that. Now here is your chance. Would you like a feature added? Post in this topic about it explaining what it would do and also post a concept photo if possible. I will check in and out and the ideas I like will be posted in this topic. Basically this will be my ideas for ZCL 2.1

Features that will be in ZCL 2.1
ZCL window will be a lot bigger so it is not cluttered
Descriptions of what each feature does :o
Zscript Editor with Syntax Highlighting =D

....still more to go

Revfan9
12-09-2008, 11:47 PM
You know what I'd like? Make it so that you can use small mode from ZCL. Cause I still hate large mode.

Russ
12-09-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree with Revfan. I like small mode better, and the launcher seems to always launch it in large mode unless you uncheck the box in Zquest's options menu.

Nicholas Steel
12-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I'd like a larger version of ZCL so that bigger and easier fonts can be used...

Deviance
12-10-2008, 01:14 AM
You know what I'd like? Make it so that you can use small mode from ZCL. Cause I still hate large mode.

There will be an option on the new ZCL build that says Use Classic Interface... This was just added the the linux build not to long ago =D

Revfan9
12-10-2008, 02:09 AM
I agree with Revfan. I like small mode better, and the launcher seems to always launch it in large mode unless you uncheck the box in Zquest's options menu.

From my experience ZCL will launch ZQ in large mode whether you have it checked or not, and until you said "Options Menu" and I checked I wasn't aware that there was a check box for small mode in there. I thought the only way to use it was to use a shortcut with the -small flag.

Anyway. A syntax checker/editor for ZScript would be useful, since the one in ZQ itself fails. Syntax highlighting (configurable) would also be good.

Deviance
12-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Anyway. A syntax checker/editor for ZScript would be useful, since the one in ZQ itself fails. Syntax highlighting (configurable) would also be good.

Automatic no

Gleeok
12-10-2008, 02:25 AM
In the Quickload options, how about instead of it reading Slot 1, Slot 2, etc, it reads the name of the quest loaded (or even the name entered by the player in ZC) into that paticular slot?
Or even a step farther; Be able to create a quickload shortcut to a given slot and rename it whatever you want.

Deviance
12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Automatic no

Ok so I lied

Teaser Shot
http://sjnetwork.net/zscript.jpg

Banon
12-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I would love to see an npc follower for Link. I don't think it would be hard to script, just have them move, and act in the same way as Link, just... slightly behind him. He/she could act like a level key in that the mapmaker could choose to have them be able to open certain doors. The main use, though would be for making better plots in the quests. I find that most plots tend to be terrible, just because Link doesn't speak, or the only time Link speaks, he's making a joke. People do this, because they don't want to define Link's personality, and likely piss off every Zelda fanboy who plays ZC. A partner would be able to add emotion to the storyline. For instance, the partner could be Link's childhood friend, and later on in the game betrays him. Or, the partner could come to Link for help on his mission, and Link agrees for a price (In this, Link would be a mercenary, and would probably use a non-ripped sprite). Later, the guy could die, but Link continues the mission to the end because of his (non-homosexual) affection for the man.

I know there are probably a billion more ideas people want more, and it would probably be implemented long after I care to wait, but its gone unsaid, and I personally think its a good idea.

Wait... is this thread only include ZC, and not ZQuest? It's kinda hard to tell even after reading the thread, because everyone seems to only care about a large mode or a small mode.

If this is the case, ignore what's above, and listen to below.

I think that there should be to switch between all maps when you are in an area that would allow for it. (I'm talking about the spacebar map by the way). And/or have it use the pallete number used in ZQuest on the screen (Giving it a point other than the maker seeing their own athstetics, and allow the player to recognize which place is which more easily.

Joe123
12-18-2008, 06:35 PM
This is a thread about ZC Launcher - a program bundled with ZC which helps load it up with what screen size you want and things - not ZC itself.

If you want a script for an 'NPC follower' then there's the Scripting Forums (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1154), where you can request one or check the database for one...
..or if you want to see one in action, you could play my demo of The Legend of Zelda: A Key to the Heavens (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4dzvkgjhjbj), which has one implemented ;-)

Not quite in the same way you suggested, but the idea of giving the friend a personality because Link can't have one's there.

Using each screen's palette on the map isn't an option, due to the ZC's colour restrictions.
However, in the betas there is a DMap flag next to the 'allow spacebar map...' one which says something like '...but only show screens on this DMap'.

redmage777
12-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Isn't ZCL supposed to remember your preferences? I happen to prefer large mode and would like it if ZCL could remember that. However, for them most part it works great and has been a godsend in decluttering my PC's dockbar.

sps999
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Personally, I would like to see a Paste Specific to All, so that I can paste a specific detail to every room on the map, not just either the room design or the whole room. This is because I was making a game with waves of enemies that come in, and I have all the enemies, tile warps, and screen data for the screens, and I realized I left the secret sound on, which really ruins the game. I think (may not be right) this would be really easy to pull off and would like to see it in any later builds.

Also, I want to see an option to import/export enemies and items for use in other games, I'm tired of having to remake all these enemies over and over again for all my projects. I'm not sure if there is a subscreen import/export, but if there isn't, I would like to see that.

I hope you take my post into serious consideration.

CaRmAgE
02-10-2009, 08:28 PM
This is a thread about ZC Launcher - a program bundled with ZC which helps load it up with what screen size you want and things - not ZC itself.

And not Zquest either. You posted in the wrong thread, sps999.

sps999
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
woops, my bad, sorry

redmage777
03-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I'd like to see the Yellow Icon come back. ZQuest's Icon is blue already and I liked it better when each of the executable had its own color.

ShadowTiger
03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Agreed. :) I keep missing ZCL in WinExplorer because of it.

Russ
03-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I third that.

Also, it seems that to disable large mode, you have to open zquest, and check the flag "use small mode". Could ZCL handle this?

pkmnfrk
03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
It already does: "[ ] Use Classic Interface"

Russ
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
It never seems to work for me. I still have to go into zquest and turn large mode off manually.

pkmnfrk
03-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Dunno what to say, it works perfectly fine for me.

redmage777
03-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Most people only run one version of Zelda Classic and ZQuest, and having to configure ZCL to find the version you want to use when it worked right out of the zip file before is ridiculous for a feature most people will not even need. (If I was a noob I would have probably skipped ZCL all together.)

Can we by default have ZCL work has it has in the past, but still allow those who use multiple version to set them up manually? This could be done via a check box like this:

"Use Multiple versions of Zelda Classic and/or ZQuest. (Additional Configuration Required.)"

ShadowTiger
03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it's actually more work to have to configure it than to have to just put it in every folder ZC is in. I have a folder for each beta, and ZCL isn't so big that we should only have one copy of ZCL Manage a maximum of what, ten? .. copies of ZC. That doesn't make that much sense, IMHO.

Unless it's something you need to do nowadays, code-wise.

Freedom
03-09-2010, 01:43 AM
I suggest going with yellow for the icon, it gets confused with zquest them both being blue