PDA

View Full Version : I read before posting... But I need help.

Maetora
12-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I always have technical difficulties in terms of game editing... I thought maybe I'de get lucky with ZQuest... But... :angry:

The following quote is the exact file that I downloaded:

Zelda Classic v2.10 - Windows Version 5.3mb
Version 2.10 marks the first ZC release in a very long time. Released on New Years Day, 2005, ZC 2.10 brings many of the features that Zelda Classic Fans have been hoping for, into reality.
There is a windows version, as well as a DOS version. Mac and Linux versions are in the works but are not publicly available yet.
Programmers: Dark Nation, fatcatfan

Now, the following is all the files that came with the download:

- - - - -

1st.qst - QST File
2nd.qst - QST File
3rd.qst. - QST File
182test.qst - QST File
ag - Microsoft Office Configuration File
alleg41.dll - Application Extension
allegro - Microsoft Office Configuration File
allegro - Text Document
grabber-w -Application
new enemy tiles - Adobe Acrobat Document
release_notes - Rich Text Format
sfx.dat - DAT File
zcmusic.dll -Application Extension
zelda.dat - DAT File
zelda.sav - SAV File
zelda-w - Application
zgp.dat - DAT File
zquest - Text Document
zquest-w - Application

- - - - -

Now... Here are my problems:

First of all, I'de like to load the game just to see if it works. But it's not my quest I made. It's the original quest the download is supposed to come with. When I try that, it says:

Error loading 1st.qst: Internal Error Occured

I have all my files where they should be, right in a folder on my desktop. Why is it saying that? I also didn't edit that file in any way. Right after I downloaded the thing, I wanted to start the application. The "Armageddon Games", logo popped up with the burning flames, and then I entered in a name, and started the game. That's when I got the error. I saw another help tutorial involving something to do with the, "Browse", option, to just load the game manually, but I wasn't given that option during my problem.

And another problem: When I'm in the edit (zquest-w) mode, it doesn't let me alter the colors for the tiles/objects/things... I heard you had to press the number pad to change the colors, but they said that if you're on a lap top then you'll have to press the "Fn" button. I tried both, but nothing works, so I'm stuck with the first set of tiles, being that of green.

What's the deal? :odd:

Sorry if these sort of questions were asked and answered, but I can't find anything here relating it. I get lost within the tutorials that lead me to things I don't want or need to know yet.

I hope to get a response of help. I'll reply back with info later today.

Chris Miller
12-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I suggest two steps:
1) http://www.ermock.com/zeldaclassic/zc190sr1.exe
Download the 1.90 version and copy 1st.qst into your directory.
2)If that fails, try using 2.11

Maetora
12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I had a problem with 1.90. It said that, "The system", did not support full screen mode, and it only gave me the option to close it out. Even if there is an option to do a non-full screen mode, I'de still like to have it work in full screen mode as well.

Could you give me a link with version 2.11? I couldn't find the file at Zelda Classics or the Ermock website.

Thanks so far!

CaRmAgE
12-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Could you give me a link with version 2.11? I couldn't find the file at Zelda Classics or the Ermock website.

Here you go: http://www.shardstorm.com/zc/alphas/901-windows.zip

Maetora
12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
All right, thanks for the links. The 902-windows one worked. I'm guessing that this is the 2.11 one? Hmm... Well, it let me load the game, and use full screen and everything, but the color problem still remains. I can't alternate the colors, for example, to make the GREEN trees to brown. I pressed the numbers, and I tried pressing the, "Fn", button as well. Is there any other way to get the job done? Perhaps a manual way? Thanks for the help.

CaRmAgE
12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
All right, thanks for the links. The 902-windows one worked. I'm guessing that this is the 2.11 one? Hmm... Well, it let me load the game, and use full screen and everything, but the color problem still remains. I can't alternate the colors, for example, to make the GREEN trees to brown. I pressed the numbers, and I tried pressing the, "Fn", button as well. Is there any other way to get the job done? Perhaps a manual way? Thanks for the help.

I don't have a laptop myself, but I think you need to hold the "Fn" button while pressing '+' or '-' on your Keypad (it should be around your UIO keys). I don't know of any other way to change CSets.

Maetora
12-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't have a laptop myself, but I think you need to hold the "Fn" button while pressing '+' or '-' on your Keypad (it should be around your UIO keys). I don't know of any other way to change CSets.

I tried that, too. It didn't work. :(

Chris Miller
12-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Dang, there's no way to put an attached image on a post that I can see.
On the bottom center box of the ZQuest screen, look at the very bottom right-hand portion, where it tells you your CSet. For example, it says "CSet 1". Just click that(not the arrow thing), click the text. It's cumbersome, but better than nothing.

Maetora
12-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Dang, there's no way to put an attached image on a post that I can see.
On the bottom center box of the ZQuest screen, look at the very bottom right-hand portion, where it tells you your CSet. For example, it says "CSet 1". Just click that(not the arrow thing), click the text. It's cumbersome, but better than nothing.

Ah cool! It works, and it's not cumbersome at all. At least with the version I'm using. Thanks a lot. :)

Now... To plague you all with more questions while I'm at it...

How do I import graphics? :\ The only option I can see is to open up the file, thus deleting everything I've made on my map... Can't I just add the tiles/graphics to the current one? :\

CaRmAgE
12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
File -> Import -> Tiles/Graphics Pack (or whatever else you want to import)

Joe123
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Go to www.purezc.com and download a new tileset to start in.

If you want to rip in new graphics, Quest->Graphics->Tiles, then press the grab button.
I could spend half an hour explaining how best and how best not to use the grab tool, but seeing as I'm lazy I don't really want to.

Have a go working it out yourself and if you get stuck I'm sure me or someone else'll give you a hand.

Maetora
12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
File -> Import -> Tiles/Graphics Pack (or whatever else you want to import)

I did that, but the file wasn't showing up, as if it's the wrong type of file...

I downloaded the tileset called, "PureTileset.qb1", and the other is a qst.

Go to www.purezc.com and download a new tileset to start in.

If you want to rip in new graphics, Quest->Graphics->Tiles, then press the grab button.
I could spend half an hour explaining how best and how best not to use the grab tool, but seeing as I'm lazy I don't really want to.

Have a go working it out yourself and if you get stuck I'm sure me or someone else'll give you a hand.

Hmm, I opened up a PureTileset file, and tried to rip out some tiles and place them in my current one, but after selecting what I wanted, the tile still remained as a blank red square... Don't know why it's doing that...

:banghead:

And another thing I'm really having a problem with, is items... When I add an item to my screen, it doesn't let me put it where I want to put it... Instead it puts it in the top-left corner, and I can't move it. :\

CaRmAgE
12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I downloaded the tileset called, "PureTileset.qb1", and the other is a qst.

Ah, that helps. That's a quest backup file. If you want to get the tiles from the file, open it as you would with other quest files, and go to File -> Export -> Tiles Save it as "PureTileset.til" (or whatever name you want), then open your quest and import the tiles. There's probably other ways of doing it too, but I haven't used Zquest in a long time, so this is probably as much as I can help with this question. Sorry if this doesn't solve your problem.

And another thing I'm really having a problem with, is items... When I add an item to my screen, it doesn't let me put it where I want to put it... Instead it puts it in the top-left corner, and I can't move it. :\

On the main screen, press Page Up or Page Down until you see this toolbar at the bottom:

[image removed]

Click on the image with the rupee (first on the left), then click on the screen where you want to place the item.

Maetora
12-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Again, thanks for all the help. I just get lost when reading tutorials, and this is really the only way sometimes I can do these sort of things. :\

I got the color to work, the items, the moving from maps, etc. And figured out how to do the shop, too. I think I can take it from here, at least for awhile. I assume that it will get tough when I want to try and make the game look more modern? Or do most of the same rules apply? :\

Joe123
12-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Just start again in the PureTileset.qst file.
Trying to rip pure graphics into Z1 is a very bad idea.

Maetora
12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Just start again in the PureTileset.qst file.
Trying to rip pure graphics into Z1 is a very bad idea.

Yeah, but the graphics given in PureTileset.qst is quite limited. I'de like to add as much tilesets to one panel of graphics, so that I have many options to choose from.

- - - - -

I have another question if anyone wants to answer it, then I'de appreciate it.

It's about bombable walls...

Tools > Combo Flags > 6 Bomb Trigger (Any) > Choose tile to bomb? > Then what?

What I want to do is bomb the wall, and have a Heart Piece underneath. I'm not sure how to do that, and also, if I bomb the wall, will the Heart Piece keep coming back every time I bomb that wall? Because I don't want that.

Thanks in advance!

The_Amaster
12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Hmm, right on top of the bombable wall put some more wall combos on Layer1 with the "Bomb" Flag on them, and place your screen item underneath. I'm pretty sure Layer 1 is drawn over items.

Maetora
12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Hmm, right on top of the bombable wall put some more wall combos on Layer1 with the "Bomb" Flag on them, and place your screen item underneath. I'm pretty sure Layer 1 is drawn over items.

I went to layer screen, but I don't know what to do with it. :\

I also can't figure out to have a staircase after bombing the wall, so that the staircase takes me to another room...

CaRmAgE
12-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I also can't figure out to have a staircase after bombing the wall, so that the staircase takes me to another room...

Screen -> Secret Combos -> Bomb tab -> Bomb

Click the black box next to Bomb, and select the combo for your staircase. Make sure the combo you select is of type "Stairs" or any other warp type you want.

Maetora
12-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Screen -> Secret Combos -> Bomb tab -> Bomb

Click the black box next to Bomb, and select the combo for your staircase. Make sure the combo you select is of type "Stairs" or any other warp type you want.

Ohh, duh... Thanks again. :)

It worked, but it didn't make the stair walk down animation with the sound effects. :\

CaRmAgE
12-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Ohh, duh... Thanks again. :)

It worked, but it didn't make the stair walk down animation with the sound effects. :\

Oh, are you referring to a cave entrance? You would have to use the combo type "Cave" to do that.

Maetora
12-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh, are you referring to a cave entrance? You would have to use the combo type "Cave" to do that.

Yeah, I'de like to figure out how to have items be under bombable things, too, though. :\

I'm having a problem figuring out something else, too. Surprising, eh? How do I make the Rupee limit 99? That way I can have wallets and stuff.

CaRmAgE
12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm having a problem figuring out something else, too. Surprising, eh? How do I make the Rupee limit 99? That way I can have wallets and stuff.

Starting with a 99 Rupee limit:

Quest -> Init Data -> Misc tab

Near the bottom left, you should see a text field named "Rupees." To the very right of that is a field called "Max." Change the value in there to 99.

Changing the limit size of the wallet:

Now, Zelda Classic has wallets to begin with, but I'm assuming you don't want the player's rupee limit to jump from 99 to 500. Let's change that, too.

Quest -> Items -> Wallet # -> Pickup tab

I think you have to change the "Full Max" and "+Max" fields; I'm not entirely certain. This is a new interface to me, so you can either experiment, or wait for another response.

Maetora
12-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Yep! It worked. Thanks again. :)

Maetora
12-11-2008, 02:01 AM
(Please don't consider this a double-post. I didn't ask a question in my last post, and editing the post doesn't notify subscriptions.)

Anyway, on to another question for my question marathon... I thought this one would be easy to figure out, but... Well, yeah. I wanted an intro title for like if you go to a dungeon, then it would say, "Level 1", etc. Or the overworld would say, "Hyrule", etc.

I went to DMap and then typed in my overworld name in the section, "DMap Intro", but when I tested the game, nothing happened. I guess that's not how you work that, huh?

CaRmAgE
12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Correct. I think it's on another tab of the DMap. I'll check after I'm done my 8am final.

EDIT: Dang it, that was the longest final of my life. Anyways...

Come to think of it, you did enter it in the correct field. Not quite sure how to answer this one. Anyone else know how this works?

Maetora
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Hmm... It's working now. But it's weird, because first it didn't, and I saved it, too. Oh well. Is there a way to change the font/graphics of the words that come upon intro? And the color, too. Because when the title appears, it's in small white letters, and sometimes it's hard to see because it can conflict with the background.

Maetora
12-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Now I'm having a real problem with the magic system. I looked up on some tutorials, but nothing is working.

I start with no magic. I start with 3 hearts, but no magic.

I went to Quest > Init Data > Misc:

And then I changed the magic from 0 to 3 and then the max magic from 0 to 32. I saved my work, and then tested it out, but nothing happened. I thought maybe it was just the graphics of the magic meter not working, so I put a candle on the first screen just to test it out. I got the candle, and then it still didn't let me use it, because I have no magic, apparently.

And yes, of 'course, I checked the, "Enable Magic", option in the rules.

Any ideas? :\

>_< Extra Question: When I for example burn away a bush, how come it triggers my bombable wall at the same time?

Chris Miller
12-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Go to the Sprites menu. Under Weapons/Misc., select the first tile for the magic meter.
As for the bush triggering the bomb flag, you can only have one or the other on a screen at a time.

Maetora
12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Okay. Well for now, I don't think I'm going to have magic in my first game anyway. Hmm, but since I won't have magic... How do I take away the part that says, "Magic", on the subscreen? This quest also involves no Triforce pieces, so how do I take away that as well? Hmm...

I'm having problems with the Bow and Arrows, too. I have the Rule checked to, "True Arrows", so that I can pick up ammunition and use it instead of Rupees, but whenever I get arrow ammunition, the arrow count doesn't go up, and it doesn't let me use my Bow. It's just the regular Bow, not the Long Bow. I don't know what the difference is anyway. What's with the silver and golden arrows?

CaRmAgE
12-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Okay. Well for now, I don't think I'm going to have magic in my first game anyway. Hmm, but since I won't have magic... How do I take away the part that says, "Magic", on the subscreen? This quest also involves no Triforce pieces, so how do I take away that as well? Hmm...

Quest -> Misc. Data -> Subscreens

Go to your passive subscreen, click on the magic elements, and press the 'Delete' key. Same goes for the Triforce in the active subscreen.

I'm having problems with the Bow and Arrows, too. I have the Rule checked to, "True Arrows", so that I can pick up ammunition and use it instead of Rupees, but whenever I get arrow ammunition, the arrow count doesn't go up,

Quest -> Misc. Data -> Subscreens

Select the Passive subscreen you're using with the arrows on it, click on the letter/number next to the arrow icon, then...

Edit -> Properties -> Attributes tab

Is "Item 1" set to Arrows?

and it doesn't let me use my Bow.

Did you give yourself the Bow and the Wooden Arrow item (not just ammo)? You need both in order to use the bow.

It's just the regular Bow, not the Long Bow. I don't know what the difference is anyway.

Arrows fired from the Long Bow fire faster.

What's with the silver and golden arrows?

If you have Ganon from the NES game in your quest, the player needs at least silver arrows to kill him (the arrows are also stronger). Golden arrows can be shot through multiple enemies (like the plasma beam from the Metroid series) as well as being stronger than silver arrows.

Maetora
12-13-2008, 04:59 AM
Aha, thanks a lot! I can't believe I forgot the actual Wooden Arrow thing in order to shoot the arrows. I'll try the subscreen stuff now and edit later to say if it worked or not.

Maetora
12-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Okay, I've come across another very annoying problem. I have completed my first dungeon, and then tested it. At the end of the dungeon, upon completing it, I go back to the Overworld, but when I press start, the Map, Compass, and Boss Key from the first dungeon is in my inventory, meaning I can use those items in ANY dungeon! What's up with that? And how do I fix it? :(

Those items should only appear and be used for their corresponding dungeons...

Joe123
12-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Set the level number of each dmap to something different.

Maetora
12-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Set the level number of each dmap to something different.

That's what I thought the problem was...

The Overworld and every other map is set to Level 0. While the dungeons are set to Level 1, 2, 3, and etc.

Should I change the Overworld Level to like 20 or something, and then everything else 21, 22, 23, and etc.? That seems real unnecessary, but I'll do whatever I have to do to get rid of this problem, 'cuz it's quite annoying. :confused:

Maetora
12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Okay, I have resolved this problem, so never mind.

I have a problem with the color sets in dungeons, though. I can choose any color I want, for a dungeon template, but when I place the doors onto the screen, then it gives me a list of only 6 color sets to choose from. What's the deal? :\

(I'm using 2.11 btw)

Chris Miller
12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
You can actually edit the door graphics from the Graphics menu. The Doors Menu simply lets you pick the ones you have set up.
From the actual editing menu, you can change the door colors and tiles as you see fit, or even make a new set.
If I'm not mistaken, it's Graphics ->Door Combo Sets

Maetora
12-14-2008, 04:35 PM
You can actually edit the door graphics from the Graphics menu. The Doors Menu simply lets you pick the ones you have set up.
From the actual editing menu, you can change the door colors and tiles as you see fit, or even make a new set.
If I'm not mistaken, it's Graphics ->Door Combo Sets

Seems like it will take awhile to set that all up, but as long as it works. Thanks.

Maetora
12-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I've gotten two dungeons done so far, and I'm almost done with the third. I'm trying to come up with some good puzzles, but I'm limited to only do the common "push block to open shutter", and, "kill enemies for items". Is there any other puzzles I'm missing, or is this pretty much our limit?

Chris Miller
12-14-2008, 10:39 PM
scroll further down the Flags screen, and you'll see a lot more options for pushing blocks.
You can push them in one or two directions only, silently or not, and use the Block Trigger flag where you want the block to end up. This, in conjunction with the "Blocks open Shutters" flag can make some good block puzzles. Also, if you have the "Freeform Dungeon" rule enabled, add more than one door to the wall(draw it on manually) and have multiple paths branch out. That way, you can have two or more ways through rooms. The possibilities are endless.

Maetora
12-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks!

I've come across ANOTHER problem, however...

I set up a locked door in a dungeon, and when I unlock it with a key, everything is fine. But when I enter the next room, the door behind me that I JUST went through, is LOCKED. It's supposed to REMAIN unlocked after UNLOCKING it from the other side. What's the deal now? >^<

Chris Miller
12-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Make sure, in your dMap, that your level is not set to zero.

Banon
12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I've gotten two dungeons done so far, and I'm almost done with the third. I'm trying to come up with some good puzzles, but I'm limited to only do the common "push block to open shutter", and, "kill enemies for items". Is there any other puzzles I'm missing, or is this pretty much our limit?

There are more ways than just the traditional "push a block, and the door opens" to use pushable blocks. For instance, you can have the player push blocks over damagable flooring, or pits (direct warp tiles). If you set the under combos properly, the block will create platforms behind it for the player to use.

Other puzzle favorites I have include:

Shooting magic through a series of mirrors which end in a switch. The switch makes a block that prevents the player from making it to an item or door move 2 or more spaces towards the player. The idea is that the player must make it next to the block's original spot before the magic reaches the switch. (You can combine this with a block puzzle by having the player move the mirrors into position.

Having a room filled with spikes, and have the player use the lens of truth to show a safe path.

Have the player on a sideways conveyor (compared to Link's direction), and use the hookshot. The player will continue to be moved by the conveyor as the hookshot moves across the screen. This will allow the player (if timed right) to hit a hookshot grab that is behind a solid tile. Link will be pulled all the way to the hookshot grab.

Finally, if all creativity fails, make a simple block puzzle, and add a time limit.

Maetora
12-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Make sure, in your dMap, that your level is not set to zero.

The level isn't set to 0. When I unlock a door in a room with another locked door, it triggers all of the locked doors in the same room, meaning I can have only one locked door in one room. Same goes if I have a lock block in a room. I had a room where there were 9 lock blocks, sort of like resembling the lock blocks in Key Cavern from Link's Awakening. But when I unlocked just one lock block, then ALL of them unlocked at once. I tried using combo flag 94 which is for single triggers, but that didn't work.

@ Banon: Thanks for the tips. Is there a way to set a time limit for one room only? If so, how? :\

Chris Miller
12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
It sounds to me like you have the doors set as lock blocks.
You can only have one lock block on a screen at a time.
There is one other possibility I can think of. Make sure your dMap type is set to "Dungeon" and not "Overworld" or "Cave".

Banon
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
For the timed room question

Go to screen data. At the bottom of the window that pops up, there should be an option called "Timed Warps" (Or something like that). In the box beside, type in the amount of time you want for the room (Keep in mind that the number that you type isn't in seconds. The number of seconds is shown just to the right of what you type). The time warp refers to the side warp you've set up on the screen (make sure you don't refer it to a direction, and that you put the warp style to an insta-warp of some sort). Finally, try to put something on the screen that at least tells the player that there is a time limit, as the game won't do it for you. I would recommend making from scratch a tile with the time limit written on it, and stick it somewhere that will never be used in any of your dungeons (ie: the top left corner).

Another common way to show a time limit, is to place an inaccesable item (usually a clock, so its more clear to the player what it means) on a conveyor belt, that at the end is an "X". The conveyor is usually a blank tile, which would show up as black in game. Time the warp so that the item reaches the "X" just as time runs out. (Put the conveyor on a side of the screen without doors, and a timer moving left to right on top looks more visually appealling, followed by top to bottom on the right.)

And now to catch my breathe... I winded myself typing...

Maetora
12-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks! Sounds good. I'll try it out.

Random question: Does anyone know how to turn our quest qst files into a ROM to play on an emulator?

Chris Miller
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
You can't.
Zelda Classic's architecture is completely different from any console system.

Maetora
12-15-2008, 11:40 PM
You can't.
Zelda Classic's architecture is completely different from any console system.

Ah, okay.

- - - - -

I don't think the search feature works very well... Because I tried doing a search on how to do the dry up lake with the recorder thing, but I didn't get any results. So how do you do it? How can you have 2 tiles on the same square? I want there to be a lake covering up a dungeon. (Not stairs.)

Chris Miller
12-16-2008, 12:29 AM
This is the simplest way I know of:
Draw your dungeon, then use Layer 2 for the lake.
On the screen that you've drawn Layer 2, set your secret combo flags on the lake tiles and pick your secret combos in the Data -> Secret Combos.
On the screen where you drew the dungeon, set Screen Flags -> Whistle>Secret.
When you blow the whistle, it will change the Layer 2 combos you've drawn.

Maetora
12-16-2008, 02:03 AM
This is the simplest way I know of:
Draw your dungeon, then use Layer 2 for the lake.
On the screen that you've drawn Layer 2, set your secret combo flags on the lake tiles and pick your secret combos in the Data -> Secret Combos.
On the screen where you drew the dungeon, set Screen Flags -> Whistle>Secret.
When you blow the whistle, it will change the Layer 2 combos you've drawn.

Ahh, that makes sense and sounds easy enough. But I've never done layers before... How would I do that?

Banon
12-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Layers other than 0 (the regular tiles) are placed on a different screen. (If your overworld is full, or is going to be filled, place the lake on a different map. Make sure to take note of the map and screen number. Then, go back to the screen with the entrance to the dungeon on it. Go into the layers menu (It's just above pallete if memory serves), and choose whatever layer you want to put the lake on (keep in mind layers 3 and above will appear above Link), and enter the map and screen number. (You can use the layer screen for multiple areas, so if you want an area where it is raining, you only need to make one screen of rain.)

As for how to make that layer disappear with the whistle... Ask someone else, I'm still pretty new to ZQuest myself.:(

Maetora
12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure I understand... I know how to make the lake disappear, IF I could get the layer thing first. I'll try experimenting some more.

Screen > Layers > Then I'm quite lost. o-0

@ callitaday: I can't find anything that says Whistle>Secret. All I see is Whistle>Palette Change and Whistle>Dry Lake. Will Whistle>Dry Lake trigger my secret tile flag 16? 'Causing Layer 1 to be revealed?

Chris Miller
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
My mistake. You don't use screen flags for this. Use Flag #3 (Whistle) on all the walkable tiles on the screen where you have the dungeon drawn.
The Layers screen is fairly straightforward. Don't worry about the X: Y: stuff.
Just fill in the Map number and Screen number. The checkbox is for whether or not you want it to show up transparent. In this case you don't.
Layer 1 and 2 are layers that you can walk over. Layer 3 and 4 are layers that you and walking enemies can walk under. Layer 5 and 6 cover everything, including flying enemies.

Maetora
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
My mistake. You don't use screen flags for this. Use Flag #3 (Whistle) on all the walkable tiles on the screen where you have the dungeon drawn.
The Layers screen is fairly straightforward. Don't worry about the X: Y: stuff.
Just fill in the Map number and Screen number. The checkbox is for whether or not you want it to show up transparent. In this case you don't.
Layer 1 and 2 are layers that you can walk over. Layer 3 and 4 are layers that you and walking enemies can walk under. Layer 5 and 6 cover everything, including flying enemies.

Okay, I'll try again. I'll post later with exactly what I did in case it still doesn't work.

Maetora
12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Okay, it's still not working. I'll write exactly what I did, so you can point out my mistake.

First I copied the original screen, and pasted it onto another map. The other map, I will use as the layer. We'll call the original map 1 and the layer map 2. So on map 1, I draw the dungeon, and in map 2, for the layer, I draw the lake in which would cover the dungeon. Then I go to map 1, and go to Screen>Layers, then I write the map and screen, which would be map 2 for the layer for map 1. Then on map 1 I set combo flag 3, "Whistle Trigger", onto the tile squares where the water is.

When I tested it, I blew the whistle, but the lake didn't disappear. Instead I was able to just walk on the water.

Chris Miller
12-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Right.
On Map 2, you draw only the lake, yes?
Okay. On Map 2, you need to use the secret combo flags on the lake (flags 16-31). Go to your Secret Combo editor, Data -> Secret Combos.
On one of the tabs, there are secret combos that correspond to flags 16-31. Pick whatever combos you wish for the lake to turn into, then set the flags on the lake you drew.

Maetora
12-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Right.
On Map 2, you draw only the lake, yes?
Okay. On Map 2, you need to use the secret combo flags on the lake (flags 16-31). Go to your Secret Combo editor, Data -> Secret Combos.
On one of the tabs, there are secret combos that correspond to flags 16-31. Pick whatever combos you wish for the lake to turn into, then set the flags on the lake you drew.

I was just about to edit my post. I got it working now. But I didn't set the under secret combos on 16 to anything. I left it black, since it's going to turn into whatever I have already on map 1, including the dungeon.

On a last note... Is there a way to animate the lake dry up, such as on the original LoZ? Because all I got is an instant disappear effect.

Thanks for the help again.

Chris Miller
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Best way is with combo cycling, but it's a pain in the soft parts.
You may want to consult the tutorials on combo cycling.

Maetora
12-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Argh! I thought I had it down!

EDIT: Nevermind. I do have it down. =P

Maetora
12-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Alright, this question isn't about help with editing anything, but about getting the program to run. I looked at the stickies and FAQ, but I didn't find anything regarding my concern. I went to load my game to play it, and everything is SUPER fast. Let me emphasize that... IT'S SUPER FAST! There we go. Yeah, I just press the directional keys and BAM there goes Link! I remember having this problem when I first downloaded ZQuest, but I don't remember what I did to fix it. I went into settings and looked around, but I don't see anything of significance. What's the beef guys?

Link
12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Alright, this question isn't about help with editing anything, but about getting the program to run. I looked at the stickies and FAQ, but I didn't find anything regarding my concern. I went to load my game to play it, and everything is SUPER fast. Let me emphasize that... IT'S SUPER FAST! There we go. Yeah, I just press the directional keys and BAM there goes Link! I remember having this problem when I first downloaded ZQuest, but I don't remember what I did to fix it. I went into settings and looked around, but I don't see anything of significance. What's the beef guys?

Just press F1. :)

Banon
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Just press F1. :)

Also, if you want to use this newfound speed to your advantage, you can hold "`" (top left on most keyboards), and it will speed the game up only until you let go.

Maetora
12-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Hehe, duh... Thanks again guys.

Now I can finally start working on my fourth dungeon!

Maetora
12-18-2008, 03:50 AM
Alright, what's with the heart pieces? I collected 4 heart pieces, but my life didn't increase. I went to init data and set it to collect 4 pieces in order to gain 1 extra heart container, but still nothing happened.

EDIT: Okay, this isn't making any sense. I made a test quest file, and placed 4 heart pieces into 4 rooms. When I collected all 4, then my max heart life increased. But in my actual quest I'm working on, when I collect 4 heart pieces, my max heart life does NOT increase. So this has nothing to do with a bug or error. It has to do with my actual quest. I've checked the rules and init data, but I can't find anything in why this would be happening. I would hate to have to cancel a quest that I've worked on for so many hours, and I'm over 50% complete with it as well.

EDIT 2: Problem resolved. Setting the Heart Container type differently than what it should be, for some reason affects the use of the Heart PIECES. Weird.