PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

Modus Ponens
11-29-2008, 01:31 AM
How'd everyone's Black Friday go? I started work at 4:30 this morning, which means I had to get up at about a quarter to four. I'm sure there are some of you who do this kind of thing regularly, but I sure don't, so it was pretty crazy. Not as crazy, however, as the number of people who actually get up and go to the mall at like five or six AM. Is it really that important to shop on the day after Thanksgiving?

Shazza Dani
11-29-2008, 01:47 AM
I walked to Target today to buy some Clif Bars, like I sometimes do, and there was 48 billion people in there. I suffocated and died. And I was thinking about going to the mall to buy some shoes, 'cause mine are practically falling apart, but I thought I'd better go on a different day—especially since I was dead at the time.

Icey
11-29-2008, 03:13 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081129/ap_on_re_us/wal_mart_death

Summary:

A) Worker gets murdered by people too impatient to let him finish opening the door
B) People are informed they have to go home because they murdered someone, and reply by complaining "but we've been waiting in line since Thursday!"

Makes me fucking sick to my stomach.

Cloral
11-29-2008, 03:18 AM
I went to the mall in the afternoon just to see the crowds of people there - and to get some towels for myself for cheap. Took my bike which was good, as there wasn't a parking space to be seen.

And I think they have to put an end to large groups lining up outside of stores for sales. People are too callous to trust them in gangs like that.

Daarkseid
11-29-2008, 03:38 AM

Summary:

A) Worker gets murdered by people too impatient to let him finish opening the door
B) People are informed they have to go home because they murdered someone, and reply by complaining "but we've been waiting in line since Thursday!"

I don't think it qualifies as murder since there was clearly no intent to kill him specifically or when he fell. Reckless manslaughter might be the legal term or negligent homicide.

Although it appears they're not sure how, if possible, they'll charge anyone over the event.

Its still fucking repulsive though.

Edit: Actually, now I kind of feel like a jackass splitting hairs over a subject I really have no expertise in or any real right to discuss with any sort of authority(legal definition of criminal homicide).

Beldaran
11-29-2008, 04:39 AM
I went to OfficeMax and got a 640 GB hard drive for $80.

Icey
11-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Edit: Actually, now I kind of feel like a jackass splitting hairs over a subject I really have no expertise in or any real right to discuss with any sort of authority(legal definition of criminal homicide).

Nah, that was fair enough, and you're right... I was just pissed, and I used a word that didn't quite fit, but showed how disgusted I was *shrugs*

moocow
11-29-2008, 06:19 AM
I didn't go out because I had to be at work at 6:30, but my mom grabbed some things for me while she was out. At the Wal-Mart in Heath (these are stories I heard from my mom and that my fiance heard from customers who left and went to the Wal-Mart in Newark)...

Some woman had a seizure and passed out, and people damn near trampled her while she lay on the floor convulsing.
Another woman's water broke and went into labor, and people started stealing stuff out of her shopping cart.
Someone pulled a knife on someone else.
Someone elbowed an 11 year old girl in the head and took the digital picture frame she was holding out of her hands and took off with it.

I guess someone started rummaging through my mom's cart too. I'm glad I didn't go out. If someone had started rummaging through my cart while I had my back turned, I'd probably flip the fuck out, too. It's first come, first serve. Get there early enough to get your shit and leave everyone else alone. Crazy fucking women.

At any rate, I was able to get a good amount of stuff for my boy for $60. w00t!

Revfan9
11-29-2008, 07:40 AM
I stayed in all day with a terrible cold.

Thank god.

Pryme8
11-29-2008, 08:41 AM

Summary:

this proves walmart is evil, and should be abolished before the Chinese take over the earth...

[edit] Ohh yea I had to work all day... but hey thats money!

erm2003
11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I went out and got most of my shopping done yesterday but I waited until 9 or so to avoid all the crazy door buster shoppers. The mall by us wasn't that busy because most people probably go to the larger one in a different town. I found some pretty good deals though so I am pretty satisfied, but I still have a bit more to go.

The_Amaster
11-29-2008, 10:32 AM
...I notice all the horror stories are coming from Wal-marts...

Fortunatly, most of the presents I ask for aren't the kind of stuff that goes on sale, as are my siblings, so my parents stayed safe at home yesterday. They had already got shopping for most other reletives done.

rock_nog
11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Gee, what a swell way to kick off the Christmas season. And I just love all those asshats who think it's the phrase "Happy Holidays" that's destroying it.

ZTC
11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Got up about 8:30, and got into town a bit after 10. Went to the norther super Walmart and saw that it was a little bit more crowded that usual. I go to the electronics dept to see if they have anymore of the 19" hidef tvs and the employee said they were out, so I complained to the dept manager on how they never have anything for these sales. Turns out they had over 100 more of those in stock. Stupid employees :/
I also brought in an office depot ad and wound up paying $30 for a 16gb flash drive. Other than that I bought a few Chuck Norris movies. It wasn't until later in the day I saw the Oscar Meyer weinermobile lol.

ShadowTiger
11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I was working yesterday. It actually wasn't bad. The corporate HQ sent us a nice lunch of donuts and macaroni salad, coleslaw, potato salad, and about seventeen feet (Seriously.) of submarine sandwich for the crew.

Didn't get nearly as many customers as we were hoping for though.

The_Amaster
11-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Where do you work, ST?
They sound pretty awesome.

Flash Man
11-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I did absolutely nothing yesterday. For the past two years I worked at Wal-Mart so I was up and working at 4AM. I slept in until 9PM.

The corporate HQ sent us a nice lunch of donuts and macaroni salad, coleslaw, potato salad, and about seventeen feet (Seriously.) of submarine sandwich for the crew.

However I did work on Wednesday, though the owners made a turkey lunch. Some people in other departments brought in some other food as well. It was kind of an on the spot pot luck.

ShadowTiger
11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Where do you work, ST?
They sound pretty awesome.

I work at an Ace Hardware, thanks. They're not bad at all for retail. It's nestled comfortably between the family owned shop, and the big heartless corporational chain.

Modus Ponens
11-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. Over at Brookstone, we also didn't get as many people as we wanted. I guess it's how things are now.

ShadowTiger
11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah; People rarely need furniture or mattresses or hardware for the holidays. It's all stuff you'd want your kids and/or husband to involuntarily separate their jaws from their faces over sort of things.

The worst that happened at the Ace while I was working was ... ... actually, I'm trying to figure out if anything really happened. We got some pretty darn friendly customers, and the occurrence of those ever-so-annoying "Demanding abbrasive instantaneous gratification with no wasted breath or social courtesy whatsoever" people were quite minimal, thank goodness.

SUCCESSOR
11-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I spent about 120$ and got gifts for over 10 people.

Nothing bad except sleeping some total of 3 hours for three days

Lilith
11-30-2008, 04:28 AM
---

AlphaDawg
12-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I worked on Black Friday. I didn't have to be in until 11 so I was thinking of joining the great unwashed for a little bargain-hunting until 1) I didn't get home from my Thanksgiving / Eagles tailgate until about 1 AM, and 2) I realized I was broke.

AtmaWeapon
12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Our coolest and most special guinea pig died.

Pryme8
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
They should ban black friday...

I think its bullshit stores run the idiots that much