PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Ocarina of time argument

Valientlink
11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
There are many rumors saying that the Spirit Temple comes BEFORE the Shadow Temple. That's how it appears in the subscreen, but Sheik says that Shadow comes first. But after you beat the water temple, Saria says to go to the desert. But if you beat the dungeons out of order, Navi says, I wonder if anyone has a clue to where we should go next? You can do either in any order, but it's something I've always wanted to know. You'd obviously've come across Kakariko on fire before doing the Shadow Temple, because that's your only clue to getting the lens of truth which you need to get to the Spirit Temple. But anyone without a guide there first time playing, could've easily come across the song of storms guy in the windmill hut. Meaning, after they beat the forest temple, they went back to being a kid to play the song of storms in the hut, so they could've got the lens early.

What do you guys think?

vegeta1215
11-29-2008, 02:59 AM
I thought you needed the hover boots from the Shadow Temple to get past the sinking sand in the desert before entering the Spirit Temple as adult Link...

Russ
11-29-2008, 03:04 AM
No, you can use the hookshot.

Personally, I think Shadow is harder, but Spirit seems to be a much better last dungeon level to me. Twinrova is the best pennulitmate boss ever.

Not to mention the fact that Kakiriko catches on fire and all of that suggests Shadow should some first.

Icey
11-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Shadow is obviously intended to come first, based on what Shiek tells you to do, the need (or lack thereof...) of the hover boots, and all the story elements of the game.

However, I always liked playing Spirit first, just because I had fun going out of order; nice to get some non-linearity in finally ;)

Shazza Dani
11-29-2008, 03:45 AM
nice to get some non-linearity in finally ;)

I always play the adult dungeons in this order: Ice Cavern, Fire Temple, Forest Temple, Water Temple, Spirit Temple, Shadow Temple. That's fairly non-linear.

Anthus
11-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I have always done Spirit last. And I thought you could only get so far in the Fire temple without the Bow and Arrow. My Oder is usually Forest Temple, Bottom of the Well, Fire, Ice Cavern, Water, Shadow, Spirit. Sometimes I play the Fire Temple up to the room where you need to bow before going to the Forest Temple.

Shazza Dani
11-29-2008, 03:08 PM
You don't need the Bow at all in the Fire Temple. There is only one eyeball switch in the entire temple, and it's completely avoidable, and also unnecessarry (I think it leads to the Map).

Demonstration:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/thisdoor2.png

Anthus
11-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Actually, I thought so. I do remember beating it first a long time ago, but for some reason, whenever I got to that room, I just thought it was required so I left.

Valientlink
11-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Shadow is obviously intended to come first, based on what Shiek tells you to do, the need (or lack thereof...) of the hover boots, and all the story elements of the game.

However, I always liked playing Spirit first, just because I had fun going out of order; nice to get some non-linearity in finally ;)

Yeah, Shadow probably was intended first. Navi says, I wonder if anyone knows where to find a sage or something, you'd probably go to a crowded area like Kakariko, to find that it's on fire. But if you've already gotten the lens of truth, then Kakariko on the map won't be flashing, gerudo valley will. So you'd probably go there instead.

Shazza Dani
11-29-2008, 03:30 PM
This topic is making me want to play Ocarina of Time again. O:

Cloral
11-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Don't you need the lens of truth in order to reach the spirit temple? I thought you needed it to see the guy in the desert.

Modus Ponens
11-29-2008, 08:11 PM
It's making me want some Gewürztraminer. Brb.

EDIT: Cloral snuck in a post between mine and darknut's, so the immediacy was ruined. So now I have to say something on-topic. Uhhhm...

Oh! This all reminds me of Super Metroid, wherein there are quite a few possible sequence breaks. In fact, when I play through the game nowadays, I can barely even remember the intended order of operations anymore.

ShadowTiger
11-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I never did. Ever. It's just one fun-loving hopeful map-checking grindingly curious room after another for me.

Don't you need the lens of truth in order to reach the spirit temple? I thought you needed it to see the guy in the desert.We do. There's a ghost or something you need to follow through the desert. I don't know if the path the ghost follows persists or exists whether or not you're using the lens, or if you have it or not.

But the lens isn't found in the Shadow Temple though. It's found at the bottom of the well in Kakariko Village when you're a child. So you don't have to set foot into the Shadow Temple, right?

CaRmAgE
11-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I always went by the order the sages appear clockwise in the chamber of sages. The order is: Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit, and Shadow. Plus, I thought it seemed more appropriate to save Impa last since she says you'll be meeting Zelda soon or something like that.

I don't know if the path the ghost follows persists or exists whether or not you're using the lens, or if you have it or not.

The path is there whether or not you have the Lens of Truth, which is useful for those who want to get the Silver Gauntlets early for whatever reason.

Shazza Dani
11-29-2008, 11:48 PM
But the lens isn't found in the Shadow Temple though. It's found at the bottom of the well in Kakariko Village when you're a child. So you don't have to set foot into the Shadow Temple, right?

This is true. You can get the Lens o' Truth any time after finishing the Forest Temple.

Cloral
11-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Right, it just seemed to me like going to Kakariko and getting the lens puts you on the path to the shadow temple - which is why I always thought you were supposed to do the shadow temple first.

Nicholas Steel
12-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I... always did the spirit temple before the shadow temple... Don't you need the mirror shield or silver gauntlets for the shadow temple?

ShadowTiger
12-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I've never done the Spirit Temple last, so I can say with absolute confidence, that you do not need either.

Cloral
12-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I... always did the spirit temple before the shadow temple... Don't you need the mirror shield or silver gauntlets for the shadow temple?

Nope. All you really need is the bow for the boss.

Oh, you do need the hookshot, but then again you need that to get the bow anyway. I don't believe you need the longshot, but maybe you do...

ctrl-alt-delete
12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I can't believe how many responses this thread has gotten...

As for me, I'm pretty sure I always did Spirit first.

Cloral
12-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I was just thinking, and I think another part of it is after the fire Shiek gives you the dark song which warps you right to the entrance of the shadow temple. I think ultimately that's what told me to go do the shadow temple at that point.

King Link
12-07-2008, 05:38 AM
I always play the adult dungeons in this order: Ice Cavern, Fire Temple, Forest Temple, Water Temple, Spirit Temple, Shadow Temple. That's fairly non-linear.

I could be wrong in my recollection, it's been a LONG TIME.. however, my order was Forest, Ice, Fire, Water, Shadow.

OR more than likely Forest, Fire, Ice, Water, Shadow.

Sam Atoms
12-17-2008, 03:31 AM
This topic is making me want to play Ocarina of Time again. O:

Me too.