PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger '08

King Aquamentus
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Chrono Trigger hit US shelves today. Some stores as we speak still await their shipment, but many others are already selling the title. Whether this is your first time playing the game or you're already a veteran, there is something in the new version for you. Everything from the PSX rerelease is included (except for the loading times, hahaha), and even more content has actually been added, namely new areas. And one of these has a lot to do with Schala and Magus. I'm not kidding.

Masamune
11-25-2008, 08:50 PM
The graphics don't look quite right, it seems empty somehow.

King Aquamentus
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM
To me, it feels more complete than the SNES game...

Masamune
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I think I don't like it because I haven't touched my DS since I tried that god awful World Ends With You game, and months of PSP playing has gotten me used to a larger screen. And the resolutions aren't the same, it reminds me of when I tried playing the NES Megaman series on my DS and his face was all smushed from the DS's resolution. It just doesn't feel right. The sprites look weird, all the touch screen shit is weird, and it just isn't the same.

EDIT: Now I'm noticing the dialog is different. This may not seem like a big deal, but it makes me uncomfortable to read.

EDIT 2: I'm also not comfortable with the fact that I run vertically faster than I do horizontally to make up for the shitty resolution.

King Aquamentus
11-26-2008, 03:58 AM
you're not using SD rom are you?? I'm using the cart, and I have no problems like that whatsoever. In fact, the visuals look very sharp. I'm not having your running problem at all. :/

Masamune
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
It doesn't make any difference, it's the same game.

King Aquamentus
11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
It does if you got a bad rom dump. Why don't you get a different one if it bugs you that much?

ctrl-alt-delete
11-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I think I don't like it because I haven't touched my DS since I tried that god awful World Ends With You game, and months of PSP playing has gotten me used to a larger screen. And the resolutions aren't the same, it reminds me of when I tried playing the NES Megaman series on my DS and his face was all smushed from the DS's resolution. It just doesn't feel right. The sprites look weird, all the touch screen shit is weird, and it just isn't the same.

EDIT: Now I'm noticing the dialog is different. This may not seem like a big deal, but it makes me uncomfortable to read.

EDIT 2: I'm also not comfortable with the fact that I run vertically faster than I do horizontally to make up for the shitty resolution.

I seriously thought I was the only person in the world who just couldn't get into The World Ends with You.

Masamune
11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Do you understand that the DS uses a smaller resolution than the SNES that isn't quite proportionate?

If yes:
Do you understand that the game cannot be displayed the same way?

If yes:
Do you understand that this is what is bothering me, and is the case with every single unit of the game rom dump or cart?

This is what's bothering me, it's not hard to understand. It's not the rom, I just hate the port. End of story.

Dechipher
11-27-2008, 06:20 AM
Masamune, you have bees as an avatar. Do you honestly think anyone will take you seriously?
Fuck.

I bought Chrono Trigger today. Haven't played it yet. I have to beat FFV first.

Pryme8
11-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Masamune, you have bees as an avatar. Do you honestly think anyone will take you seriously?
Fuck.

ITS THE KILLER BEE THOUGH!!!

WU TANG WU TANG WU TANG!

King Aquamentus
11-27-2008, 11:55 AM
game looks the same to me as it did on SNES. *shrugs.

Masamune
11-27-2008, 11:56 AM
WU TANG KILLA BEES. WE ARE THE SWARM!

vegeta1215
11-27-2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah...as excited as I am to pick up the port, I have a feeling the new translation will bother me. They've also changed a lot of item/weapon names, and even some Tech names. For example, Tonics are now called Potions, Power Tabs are called Power Capsules, and Lucca's Flame Toss is now called Flamethrower. Dumb dumb dumb.

Matteo
11-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I might check this one out after it drops in price a bit, however since I have original cart and psx version, might not be worth it.

Also, topic moved to GGD

Dechipher
11-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Off topic, kind of, I am playing through FFV on GBA, and I just found the underwater cave dude who tells you how many battles you've fought. I find it humorous that they named him Mr. Clio and gave him a Jamaican accent....

MottZilla
11-28-2008, 12:29 AM
game looks the same to me as it did on SNES. *shrugs.

I haven't played CT for DS yet. But I can tell you that the resolution won't be the same. The SNES was something like 256x224 or 256x232, approx. The DS is 256x192 per screen. So the same amount of area won't fit on the screen vertically. But in theory it shouldn't be a big deal as ideally it would be cropped and not scaled which would look ugly. I'll try it out eventually. It does sound nice and I'm sure it'll sell well.

The_Amaster
11-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I think I don't like it because I haven't touched my DS since I tried that god awful World Ends With You game

Yes! Someone else who didn't like TWEwY

#1 video game on the Christmas ist: Chrono Trigger DS.

Mak-X
11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Chrono Trigger DS just looks like its been cropped, not scaled, to fit the DS's resolution to me, and I usually spot this stuff. The text has a smaller font to fit in the text boxes that were cut in height to fit the screen.

I picked it up as a preorder and got the 2 track orchestra soundtrack (nice orchestrated themes but only 2), and it came with a free poster of the box art for the first print run. Reminds me of the original release that came with the maps and art on the other sides. I've played up to the cathedral in the middle ages so far.

The script has been retranslated to be more accuarate to the original version since the SNES script was cut down for space, though it looses some of its charm.

It runs much better than the Playstation version, no noticable load times really worth mentioning for most people. Yet for me, it seems like it should load a little faster from what I remember of the SNES game, with a slight lag after battles and between areas. The game is probably on a slower 1GB DS card so that might have something to do with it compared to the SNES cartridge.

The music was supervised by Mitsuda and sounds accurate, but the instruments also sound compressed, with noticable artifacts if you're listening with headphones.

I've been wanting to rebuy the SNES version for a long time since I tried playing the PSone release and gave up on the load times. It's a good port of Chrono Trigger for what it is, but I'd still rather pick up the original because of the differences I've mentioned, and I'd rather play it on a TV in its original quality than my DS. That or a virtual console release would have been good. That said, I'll probably stick with it and finish it once, I'm curious to see how the rest of the new script reads, and play the bonus content.

King Aquamentus
11-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey, any opportunity to reach Zeal and see Schala again is.... don't look at me like that!!! >.> <.< *runs