PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting ZC in Windows XP...

mihalis
11-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Every time I try to run the Windows version on my machine, it crashes. I am running Windows XP. I had Vista at one time, but I removed it ages ago and installed XP (because Vista sucks). When I try to run ZC I get the following error message (w/o the asterisks):

zelda-w.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The error signature is as follows:

AppName: zelda-w.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: zelda-w.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0007fa51

I've tried every version of Zelda Classic and can't get one of them working. I know people with Vista have had problems, but like I said, I'm running XP, not Vista...and yes,Vista is completely 100% removed--not just on another partition. For the life of me I can't figure out why this program keeps crashing. It worked fine on my old computer.

Any suggestions?

elise
11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
do you have the good allegro and the quests in it before opening ????
did you try to install with the zelda Launcher from Sean may be that will work for you
do you install being the administrator ????

mihalis
11-25-2008, 05:46 PM
do you have the good allegro and the quests in it before opening ????
did you try to install with the zelda Launcher from Sean may be that will work for you
do you install being the administrator ????

Yes, yes, and yes. I tried all of the above, my allegro is good (as far as I know), I tried using Sean's launcher, and I've tried reinstalling several times. Nada. The screen will flicker for a very brief moment, then the program crashes. I can't even get to the title screen. :mad:

Any other ideas?

EDIT: I've even tried running the DOS version--both within a regular command prompt and in DOSBox. Nothing!! I'm about to give up on ever being able to play this again... *sigh*

CaRmAgE
11-25-2008, 10:10 PM
The screen will flicker for a very brief moment, then the program crashes.

Does this thread (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103865) relate to your problem?

EDIT: I've even tried running the DOS version--both within a regular command prompt and in DOSBox. Nothing!! I'm about to give up on ever being able to play this again... *sigh*

I've tried getting DOS versions of ZC to work on my comp in all sorts of different ways and discovered that, even if you get ZC itself to run, newer comps cause ZC to crash whenever you pick up any sword or the letter. So, don't even bother with the DOS versions.

mihalis
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Does this thread (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103865) relate to your problem?

Thanks! That worked. I didn't expect that the Vista issue would apply to me since I'm running XP, but apparently it did. Go figure. :rolleyes:

mihalis
11-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I've got another problem... I got it working, but now it's VERY slow and choppy--to the point where it makes the game unplayable. I noticed the FPS topping off around 40/60 FPS. Any way to fix this? I am using ZC 2.10, since I was never able to get the older versions working on this computer.

SpykStorm
11-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Did you try the 2.5 builds at shardstorm.com (http://shardstorm.com)?

Also, what service pack of XP are you using? I had the same problem with 2.10 fullscreen with XP Service Pack 2. If that's the case, then you should download 2.10.2.

Do you people ever plan on adding ZC 2.10.2 to the download screen? :tongue:

The_Amaster
11-27-2008, 10:16 AM
It's...being worked on. The general opinion is that until it's about as absolutly, positivly, totally as bug free as it can be made, it's not going to be "public". Personally, my moneys on the next few months.