PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead is pretty much the best game this year on any platform

AlexMax
11-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Real talk, Left 4 Dead came out of nowhere and has really surprised me. This isn't just your run of the mill zombie game, it's "Holy shit, did you see that?" and "God damnit who shot the witch this time?" the game. The Humans vs Zombies versus mode makes a sweet deal even sweeter. If you own a PC or a 360, you don't really have an excuse not to have this game.

Bonus videos for those of you who have no idea what game I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sg28rI4zZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4iCrtLWks0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GotNTtt1NNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ADYTK2d6I

I've got the PC Steam version. Who else has it?

Beldaran
11-20-2008, 02:47 AM
That game looks really stressful.

Shazza Dani
11-20-2008, 02:52 AM
Left 4 Dead is pretty much the best game this year on any platform

My vote goes to either Fable II or Fallout 3. (both of which I've never played…)

Beldaran
11-20-2008, 03:28 AM
(both of which I've never played…)

Then how the fuck would you know?:rolleyes:

Shazza Dani
11-20-2008, 03:37 AM
I haven't played any new games this year, so my opinion is based on which games seem the most appealing.

*b*
11-20-2008, 03:45 AM
Left 4 Dead is pretty much the best game this year on any platform
Indeed. Only played the demo so far, but I'm going to pick up the full version here shortly. Even just those two levels were helluva lot of fun. CPU is kind of annoying, though, as they just can't let zombies be when you throw a pipe bomb

And I know I'm not supposed to, but am I the only one who loves disturbing Witches?

Masamune
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
My vote goes to either Fable II or Fallout 3. (both of which I've never played…)

Take some advice from someone who owns and played Fable 2 (example: me), and stop giving a fucking about it. It's not that great. Get Fallout 3 and L4D and you will be most pleased. Trust me.

MottZilla
11-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I was interested in L4D before it came out. I played the demo and didn't find it that interesting. But I know why and that is because I played by myself, with the CPU controlled allies which is BORING. I might give it a chance if I have enough friends to play the game with on 360.

AlexMax
11-21-2008, 12:41 AM
I was interested in L4D before it came out. I played the demo and didn't find it that interesting. But I know why and that is because I played by myself, with the CPU controlled allies which is BORING. I might give it a chance if I have enough friends to play the game with on 360.

I preordered the game, but the demo (which isn't even up anymore) isn't really enough to give the game a fair shake. For one, you only get the first level and half of the second; so you don't really get a good idea of how long the campaign's actually are. For instance it took me and some friends an hour plus change to get through Advanced No Mercy, and that's with dialing back the difficulty to Normal on the last level after a couple-odd failures.

For another, the A.I. director, even on expert, isn't too tough in the demo. He's been given a huge kick in the ass in terms of numbers and boss monster strategy and getting through Advanced (not even Expert) is an achievement in and of itself. Trust me, things get a LOT crazier in the full game between the longer levels and more intense zombie swarms.

Finally, versus mode is probably the most fun you can have with your pants on. It's kind of frustrating being infected if nobody on your team is coordinating and the survivors are being smart and sticking together or somehow rushing through the map, but it's offset by the fact that you get to be both survivors and infected per map, the scoring is granular enough to separate two winning teams of survivors and frankly nothing beats the feeling of being a smug asshole when you team finally catches the survivors out of position and makes their life a living hell.

Also the graffiti on the walls is really funny if you actually take the time to read it.

Cronic
11-21-2008, 12:49 AM
That game looks really stressful.

i was gunna say spastic, but your answers good too.