PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest Zelda Moments?

Anthus
11-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Have you ever wasted an absurd amount of time trying to do something in a Zelda game, only to realize it was in the wrong spot/ etc.?

I'll start with a true example.

In Twilight Princess, you can pay a fortune teller in the castle town to show you the locations of heart container pieces. Well, I'm missing two. One is in the Sky Temple, and the other, I thought was in Arbiter Grounds. I turns out the room was actually in the Temple of Time. I finally realized this when it wasn't in ANY of the rooms in AG. I also realized the spider enemies are only in the Temple of Time >.> Go me. I wasted about four hours tearing the grounds apart, only to leave and look again and realize the HCP was in the temple of time.

So. Any equally stupid moments in a Zelda game?

Russ
11-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Four Swords. Me and my friend were fighting Vaati. I threw a bomb, aiming at Vaati. My friend ran right in the way of it. He died. We didn't have any money left. Game over. :)

Anthus
11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
An a related note, I got those last two HCPs ;]

Now, I only need to find 14 more Poe souls and my 100% file will be complete.

Russ
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I got all the Heart Containers a while ago. I'm not even bothering to get all the Poe souls though.

Shazza Dani
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I got all that crap in TP. The only thing I didn't do in that game was go through the Cave of Ordeals the second time, 'cause I didn't find out it was different until after I sold my game.

Russ
11-17-2008, 08:05 PM
You have to go through a second time? Oh boy, here I go again.

Shazza Dani
11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
This is what I read about the Cave of Ordeals:

If you want, you can also go back through the Cave of Ordeals a second
time, and this runthrough will have more enemies than before. For example,
Chamber Forty-Nine has four Darknuts to content with. You can also see a blooper
on Floor Fifty, where the mailman will appear for one last time.

AtmaWeapon
11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Every time I open a chest with a map inside of it.

"Hey, this is the last dungeon of the game. Did you know what the map does? Well, I'll tell you again just in case..."

Twilight Princess extended this to any rupees you get from a chest, and I seem to remember for some reason every time the power was cycled most of the common-drop items made you suffer through the explanation as well.

WTF Nintendo, how stupid do you think I am? Once is enough.

DarkFlameWolf
11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Trying so hard to beat Yeta on the snowboard mini-game only to realize she was taking a previously unseen and undiscovered shortcut route high above me. Took me about 6-7 runs to finally see her and what she was doing. Wasted so much time there trying to get good at the new shortcut. The final hairpin turn sucks, it always seems that Link has an easy time getting stuck on the rock wall on that final turn thus ruining what could be called, a 'perfect run.'

Nicholas Steel
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Twilight Princess extended this to any rupees you get from a chest, and I seem to remember for some reason every time the power was cycled most of the common-drop items made you suffer through the explanation as well.

Rupee explanation for every chest that contains them existed in LttP ages ago but the messages where quick, Zelda 64 onwards they decided to show messages 1 letter at a time at a [really] slow pace that you can't speed up. incredibly annoying and pointless. Most of the interesting but pointless messages you can skip/fast forward but most of the dull boring important ones you can't at all. not even during a new game+

------------------

My stupid moment was taking 3 - 4 months figuring out that you needed to complete the Diving Game in Zelda64 OoT... nothing at all in the game mentioned you needed to dive deeper, well except for a bottle... how are you meant to know the bottle was needed?

I used a FAQ to get passed that horrible part of the game >_<"

Aegix Drakan
11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Forest temple in OOT. I ALWAYS get totally stuck at this one point.

I scour the place looking for this missing key, when I really just need to drop down one particular hole... :(

I've never finished Majora's mask, no matter how much I loved the game. stupid stary fairies in the water dungeon, and the STUPID FREAKING STONE TOWER. >_<

Oh, and dying in TP in the FIST ROOM OF THE MINES. Stupid, stupid lava.

And lastly, this little webcomic illustrates how I feel about the whole "putting rupees back" thing. (http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/comic045.html)

Nicholas Steel
11-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh yea, I hated the forest temple too, heh I never worked out that the last room you can push the walls, eventually took out a FAQ after scouring the place for days. again, nothing says to push the walls and it is the only room that has rotating walls in the entire game.

*b*
11-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Link's Awakening, Nightmare Key for Bottle Grotto (Level 2). Since it was my first Zelda game, I didn't know any of the enemy's names, so the hint about killing the certain enemies in order made no sense. For a few weeks, my friends and I scored the dungeon looking for it, until finally we found it

Same game, Wand in Turtle Rock (Level 8). Never realized we could hookshot across to the stairs in the dark room. Took a week to figure it out

Same game. Until much later in my gaming life, I didn't know what the number was under the filename. Don't think I figured it out until Ocarina of Time, actually, when I read that it was the game-over count

Anthus
11-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Same game. Until much later in my gaming life, I didn't know what the number was under the filename. Don't think I figured it out until Ocarina of Time, actually, when I read that it was the game-over count

I didn't know for a while either. I remember during AlttP thinking it was a save counter.

As for the Forest Temple, I always got stuck too. For the longest time, I would always think I needed to get that chest in the one out doors room. You know, the one with the small creek, and Giant Deku-Babas? You could never reach that chest until much later in the temple since you had to come out onto the grassy platform from the room with the falling ceiling. I think they key I actually needed was the one in the first room atop the vines and trees >.>

Shazza Dani
11-18-2008, 01:45 AM
You can reach that chest with the Hookshot, actually; but there's nothing important in it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/hookshizzle.png

Dark Knight
11-18-2008, 04:14 PM
My stupidest Zelda moment? I asked the cashier to get Twilight Princess Wii out of the little glass case Wal-Mart keeps their games in and ring it up.

Aegix Drakan
11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Link's Awakening, Nightmare Key for Bottle Grotto (Level 2). Since it was my first Zelda game, I didn't know any of the enemy's names, so the hint about killing the certain enemies in order made no sense. For a few weeks, my friends and I scored the dungeon looking for it, until finally we found it

OH MY GOSH.

>_< I HATED THAT PUZZLE. I spent AGES trying to understtand it, until a friend told me the answer. The one flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

Masamune
11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I didn't understand it simply because I didn't know what the fucking enemies were called. I called them bat, skeleton, and whatever. Not Keese and Stalfos.

Shazza Dani
11-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Reading *b*'s post, I realise I haven't played LA enough to remember barely anything about the dungeons. That means I can play it again and it won't feel old. Yayy~

Anthus
11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
You can reach that chest with the Hookshot, actually; but there's nothing important in it.

That's the longshot isn't it?

blubb
12-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Stupidest Zelda moments?

Finishing LttP with exactly 19¾ HPs and without knowing which one you've missed...

Another stupid thing was being stuck in Level 4 of LttP without knowing that bombs can actually be picked up and thrown! Should have RTFM on bombs instead of always skipping.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/blubb549/Zelda3-ALinktothepast_00000.png

This was around 1995, and being that young, I always threw the SNES controller against the wall or the bottom, don't know how many of them I f***ed up this way :D

Nicholas Steel
12-27-2008, 10:33 PM
there are 3 "extra" Heart Pieces in LttP, so you have all the Heart Pieces :)

blubb
12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
"Extra" HPs? Do you mean those which are hidden in chest games, e.g. in the "Dark Karaiko village"? Or are there actually 20¾?

Icey
12-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Forest temple in OOT. I ALWAYS get totally stuck at this one point.

I scour the place looking for this missing key, when I really just need to drop down one particular hole... :(

I've never finished Majora's mask, no matter how much I loved the game. stupid stary fairies in the water dungeon, and the STUPID FREAKING STONE TOWER. >_<

Oh, and dying in TP in the FIST ROOM OF THE MINES. Stupid, stupid lava.

And lastly, this little webcomic illustrates how I feel about the whole "putting rupees back" thing. (http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/comic045.html)

Okay... two things:

Stone Tower is easily the best, most fun level in any Zelda game, IMO.

And you died in TP...?

I don't really have any specific stupid moments I can remember, just little things like not realizing a key was right in front of my face or something.

Nicholas Steel
12-28-2008, 02:49 AM
"Extra" HPs? Do you mean those which are hidden in chest games, e.g. in the "Dark Karaiko village"? Or are there actually 20¾?
you can have a toal 19 and 3/4 hearts in the game without cheating. 3 extra heart pieces were thrown in for people having trouble with some of them.

Shazza Dani
12-28-2008, 02:56 AM
you can have a toal 19 and 3/4 hearts in the game without cheating. 3 extra heart pieces were thrown in for people having trouble with some of them.

Are you sure they didn't screw up and make one less? That would make more sense.

Nicholas Steel
12-28-2008, 03:26 AM
there are no "official" sources that claim it was a mistake.

Modus Ponens
12-28-2008, 03:39 AM
... What? I, uh.... That isn't true, is it? I mean, I've gotten twenty heart containers in LttP on multiple occasions.

P.S. I love how blubb's screenshot is from the French version of the game.

Shazza Dani
12-28-2008, 03:44 AM
... What? I, uh.... That isn't true, is it? I mean, I've gotten twenty heart containers in LttP on multiple occasions.

There's 20 hearts in the GBA version—I'm not sure about the SNES version. This is the first I'm hearing about it.

P.S. I love how blubb's screenshot is from the French version of the game.

Could be german… O:!

Nicholas Steel
12-28-2008, 08:17 AM
The SNES could have been missing a heart piece and they added it into the GBA version.

Shazza Dani
12-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, that's what I was speculating. But I just checked some FAQs and they all say there's an even number of HCPs. I made a thread on another message board to see if anyone can confirm this.

blubb
12-28-2008, 11:25 AM
There's 20 hearts in the GBA version—I'm not sure about the SNES version. This is the first I'm hearing about it.

Could be german… O:!

Yes, it is actually the German SNES version. Maybe that's why I always found max. exactly 20 HPs? But if I remember correctly, there were different versions of LttP. I also had a japanese rom titled "Zelda no Denetsu 1.2" (don't remember the exact spelling) where I also got exactly 20 HPs. Maybe they changed it from 1.0 or 1.1 to 1.2? Or maybe there are more HPs in the US release? Because I've been playing this game for 13 years now and I really don't know of any place in the overworlds or in any dungeon that I haven't visited yet :shrug:

CaRmAgE
12-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't remember any moments I've had in one of Nintendo's Zelda games (ZC quests, maybe) that I would consider "stupid"; however, a stupid moment of my brother's comes to mind.

Anyone who has played OoT's Master Quest might remember the waterfall room before Dark Link where you hit a slightly hidden crystal switch to reveal a bunch of Hookshot points on the waterfall itself. You had to longshot to the correct point so that you land on another one; otherwise, you would fall to your death. Normally, you would think if you had no idea which one was the "correct one," you would try hookshoting every single one until you don't fall to your death.

My brother, on the other hand, would constantly hookshot the same points over and over again. I guess he thought you could hang onto them like you could with other points. After losing about 5+ hearts to pit falls (in that room alone), he finally asked me for the solution.

ZTC
12-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Most of my troubles were in LA. I had horrendus trouble with the Bottle Grotto's Master key. With that I tried exploring elsewhere and discovered the L1 dungeon glitch. With my Game Genie, I managed to get through almost the whole game without beating L2 or getting the Pegasus Boots.

Thinking there was quite a bit more to The Minish Cap.

Modus Ponens
12-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe I have a later version of LttP, but on my console I know I've gotten twenty heart containers in some American version of the game or another.

ZTC
12-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I'll have to get a listing of hcps as I only have 19 hearts to see if my copy has the full 20 or not...

Cloral
12-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Are you sure you didn't just miss one somewhere?

erm2003
12-28-2008, 07:24 PM
You had to miss one. I know there are 20 full hearts in the game. Did you get the one from the treasure chest game in the Dark World town? You have to keep on playing the game until you get it (the one where you can open two chests at a time). It's random so many people either don't get it or don't even know it's there. Probably the most frequently missed piece.

Shazza Dani
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I asked on GameFAQs and two people there told me there's 20 total hearts.

Nicholas Steel
12-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, one of the games has an uneven amount of HCP. unless all the stories about it were made up :/

erm2003
12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe you are thinking of Link's Awakening and the seashells. You only need 20 seashells to get the second sword but you can collect somewhere around 26 in the game.

blubb
12-29-2008, 09:51 PM
OK, let's resume it: You can definitely get 20 hearts in LttP (at least in the version I've played). I've made a video yesterday and just uploaded it to Youtube, showing the locations of all the HCs (11) and HCPs (24) I've collected:

I'll have to get a listing of hcps as I only have 19 hearts to see if my copy has the full 20 or not...
Here you go :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJB86Vr8jhE&fmt=18

But I'm really curious if there are actually some "extra" HCPs I've missed. So if anyone has got the time and the motivation to watch it (9 min) and remembers places not mentioned there... :rolleyes:

BTW, after playing some ZC quests, LttP "has become" a whole lot easier! I think yesterday was my first time to play all the way from the beginning through the end of lv 7 without savestates (no death) in 9 hours while collecting all (?) HC(P)s & items and recording movies of getting the HC(P)s (via ZSNES).
Maybe I should look for an interesting ROM hack ;) Any recommendations? (IPS patches aren't illegal to ask for here, right?)

erm2003
12-30-2008, 01:27 AM
I scanned through the entire video and you found all the locations for the heart pieces. Maybe that will clear up some confusion.

Shazza Dani
12-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Maybe I should look for an interesting ROM hack ;) Any recommendations?

FUCK YES. (http://zeldaparallelworlds.googlepages.com/)

Nicholas Steel
12-30-2008, 04:58 AM
calm down ^^" oh and be warned, that hack is pretty darn hard ;) or at least the very first dungeon/prison is.

blubb
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
calm down ^^" oh and be warned, that hack is pretty darn hard ;) or at least the very first dungeon/prison is.

Oh yes, the first dungeon was hardcore :D I really wanted to avoid using savestates... but after 15 minutes in that b**ch my opinion changed slightly (sword- and shieldless... ouch ;) )

BTW thx for the info, now I have sth to do when I'm stuck in a ZC quest and awaiting an answer in the help thread.

Nicholas Steel
12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
also, don't follow the dungeon order it says on the end of your bed (in links house) that is incorrect and is a known bug in the game :)

JnAKers
01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
well in twillight
you know when you have to catch that fish at the start
took me a week to firgure it out lol