PDA

View Full Version : I saw Coldplay tonight

Dechipher
11-17-2008, 02:13 AM
and it ruled, hard.
They played everything off of Viva la Vida except Yes. They also played Clocks, God Put a Smile on Your Face, Politik, Fix You, the Scientist, and then Yellow as an encore.

Awesome awesome awesome.
Christ Martin is a weird dude.

Beldaran
11-17-2008, 02:33 AM
I am not a fan of Coldplay. Something about their whole "style" annoys the crap out of me. Their music is obnoxiously self serving emotional crap.

Archibaldo
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
You know how I know you're gay? You enjoy Coldplay.

J/K.

Pryme8
11-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I saw hinder the other day, at Jeagartour... and realized the lead singer is gay like literally... he looks, presents and sings like a fag

Masamune
11-17-2008, 01:59 PM
The most badass show I've ever seen was Tool. It ruled so hard.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I drove to Kansas to see Hanson.

I win.

Masamune
11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
I drove to Kansas to see Hanson.

I win.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

Breaker
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I am not a fan of Coldplay. Something about their whole "style" annoys the crap out of me. Their music is obnoxiously self serving emotional crap.

we're two sides of the same coin. i like coldplay, but i can't bare to hear their music more than a few times. very similiar to how i can order pizza hut until im sick of it, then switch to papa johns for several months until i forget how bad pizza hut is, and it takes eating it again to realize it, but ive already spent my money and committed myself, so i might as well eat the whole pie until it's done.

i could never attend a coldplay concert though. their lyrics are emo, but the instrumentals are done well enough to be tolerable. i often times wish i could turn off their voices when i hear their songs playing. and a concert would probably attract that whole emo subculture that i want to round up and put in concentration camps.

Archibaldo
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
we're two sides of the same coin. i like coldplay, but i can't bare to hear their music more than a few times. very similiar to how i can order pizza hut until im sick of it, then switch to papa johns for several months until i forget how bad pizza hut is, and it takes eating it again to realize it, but ive already spent my money and committed myself, so i might as well eat the whole pie until it's done.

Why don't you just stick with Papa John's all the time then?

Breaker
11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
i don't like pizza that much.

Dechipher
11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
i could never attend a coldplay concert though. their lyrics are emo, but the instrumentals are done well enough to be tolerable. i often times wish i could turn off their voices when i hear their songs playing. and a concert would probably attract that whole emo subculture that i want to round up and put in concentration camps.

You're actually way off on that, and let me back that up.

First, I would like to address your point that Coldplay lyrics are 'emo'. I'm not going to ask you define the word 'emo', as I think we have similar understanding of it. However, I think you are confusing their lyrics. I would say that while most of their lyrics are emotionally driven, they are not whiny, nor unnecessarily self-indulgent. In fact, I would put them in comparison the the Beatles; much of the Beatles' catalog is love-driven, but there is still substance. Additionally, Paul and John were master song-writers, and so is Chris Martin. He's got a great sense for melody. He seems like he'd be a dick, but if you see him live you realise he's really into what he's doing.

Second, I would like to address your prediction that a concert like Coldplay would attract the emo subculture. Actually, every kind of person went to this concert. It was amazing to see every age group there. There were definitely a few of the emo type people there, but no more than would attend a concert by The Rolling Stones. Or Elton John. Or Eminem. Or anyone else, really. There were a ton of people there, and people from all walks of life. On my left was a couple of at least 55, and on my friends right was an Asian couple in their 30s. As for myself, I listen to all kinds of music and my friend and I share common interests in groups such as 'Explosions in the Sky', 'Ratatat', and 'mc chris', none of which are remotely mainstream nor emo.

Their songs translate really well live. They're incredibly singable, and it was great to hear the crowd end 'Fix You'.