PDA

View Full Version : Supply and demand what?

rock_nog
11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.wsoctv.com/automotive/17945476/detail.html#-

Well, this is just dumb. Apparently falling gas prices have boosted the sale of SUVs. Sometimes you know, I just gotta wonder - do these people actually understand that a large part of why gas prices fell so much is the fact that we seriously cut back on gas usage? If you start using more gas, prices will go up again to match increased demand. It's simple economics. Gah, just unbelievable.

MasterSwordUltima
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
[shrug]

I do seem to have purchased more gas, but I just paid the same $40 I usually do. It just so happens that I got a full tank. I'm not driving anymore than I used to.

Archibaldo
11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, a lot of people are really dumb. Gas here is incredibly cheap. While it would be nice to take advantage of it, there's only so much driving one can do to justify the purchase of really cheap gas. Maybe fill up now and wait till the prices go back up to start driving your car?

Trevelyan_06
11-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Same thing happen back in the 70's with the oil crisis. Gas shot up to incredible prices, there was long lines at stations to get what gas there was. People cut back on driving and traded in all their gas guzzlers. Then during the 80 and 90's everyone went right back to the giant SUV gas hogs. People do not learn. There is NO reason to have a giant vehicle.

I will admit I have a Chevy Silverado Truck. It, however, has the smallest six cylinder you can get in them. Get's about 22MPG on the highway. Even this though, is really too much of a gas hog. I have it though because the city in which I work has horrible horrible roads and drainage. Sometimes I literally have to ford a small lake to get to work. Plus it was cheaper to get this Silverado then it to get a smaller Colorado.

rock_nog
11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't go that far - I know some people have need of big-ass vehicles. However, if people are buying those vehicles because gas prices have gone down, they've got a sore lesson to learn, because once gas usage goes back up, so will prices.

Icey
11-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I know the vast majority of people here who have cars like Hummers or giant SUVS and trucks have no fucking reason for having them. Seriously, they all just use them to go on the 405 - believe me, you can sit in traffic for hours with a small car. There is no rugged driving around here, and most of the time I see a ton of clean, sparkly four wheel drive gas guzzlers that have obviously never been taken out of the city. It's ridiculously stupid.

Pineconn
11-11-2008, 05:56 PM
At least it's not my fault - I drive a 36 MPG '06 Pontiac Vibe. I keep my tires inflated, too, fools.

Shazza Dani
11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't even own a car, mothafuckas!

Yoshiman
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
From my experience in working with customers, only about half of the population can count change correctly. How much of them actually understand basic economics? =p

I know the vast majority of people here who have cars like Hummers or giant SUVS and trucks have no fucking reason for having them. Seriously, they all just use them to go on the 405 - believe me, you can sit in traffic for hours with a small car. There is no rugged driving around here, and most of the time I see a ton of clean, sparkly four wheel drive gas guzzlers that have obviously never been taken out of the city. It's ridiculously stupid.
Exactly. The closest thing we have to "rugged driving" around here are the streets with unfilled potholes. And yet, everyone seems to own these the huge SUVs and pickup trucks for driving back and forth to work.

My little Camry gets me from home, classes, and work just fine. It gets good mileage as well.

rock_nog
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't own a car, either, but it pisses me off because gas prices affect food prices and such. And seriously - people don't realize that the price of gasoline is directly related to the amount of gas they use?

Archibaldo
11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey everybody! Gas is on sale! Let's go wild!

After the prices go back up a bunch of people are going to be really pissed. It's strange, I was watching TV and a commercial for a new hummer came on, and I though to myself, who in the world is going to buy this considering the price of gas and the state of the economy.

moocow
11-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I think it's hilarious that I'm spending the same amount of money on gas a week now that I'm driving a lot further for work, as I was when I was driving a mile to work every day. I got lucky and gas started going down the first week I started working in Reynoldsburg. I spent $70 on gas that week, and I haven't spent that much on gas since then.

I will not, however, run out and trade my Olds in for an SUV. I rather enjoy my little, dependable car :)

AtmaWeapon
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm just kicking back and waiting for all of these people buying the SUVs now to have their houses foreclosed so I can save a ton of money once I enter the housing market. America has this stupid tendency to have to wave around wealth even if we don't have it, and people are too stupid to think 4 months ahead, let alone figure out just how much that 72-month lease on a giant piece of metal will cost them.