PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia

gdorf
11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Lately I've been really digging playing older games. In the last few months I've been playing some of the golden games of my past.

Games I've played recently:

XCOM - UFO Defense : As good as its always been. A+
Nox : I lost interest pretty quickly, the controls seemed wonky.. should I try again?
Baldur's Gate I & II : stellar.
Lords of the Realm 2 : this game is still fun for a quick play through
Lords of the Realm 3 : TERRIBLE, I can't believe how badly they messed this series up.
NWN : Not that old, but it was still fun to play through this again - I rolled a monk for the first time.

And I am going to start Dungeon Siege 2 after I finish up BG2.

So now that you've seen some of the games I enjoy, does anyone have any suggestions for games to play?
Also, has anyone else been getting in touch with their past?
Were games better back then, or is it just me?

MANDRAG GANON
11-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Commander Keen

Beldaran
11-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Nox : I lost interest pretty quickly, the controls seemed wonky.. should I try again?

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I LOVED this game when I was younger. I beat it with all the classes. Maybe it's stale now, though, with all of the higher expectations of today's RPGs. I haven't played it in years, but I do remember enjoying it a lot.

Also, has anyone else been getting in touch with their past?
Were games better back then, or is it just me?

I just got a Wii, and the virtual console has gotten me fired up for old games. I'm currently trying to beat MegaMan 1, which is a really hard game. I also play a sadly large amount of PunchOut!. =)

I love old games. They are so challenging and fun.

Lords of the Realm 2 : this game is still fun for a quick play through

I was a big whore for this game back in the day. I don't think I ever beat all the levels, but I got really far and was totally obsessed. I had really good combat strategies, and could win a battle with just a handful of archers when heavily outnumbered. Also, if I had a few knights and lots of peasants, I could take all the castles except the Royal Castle. The Royal Castle required a solid army.

CaRmAgE
11-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Been playing Rise of the Triad most recently. Of course, there's also the very first Doom. :)

Dark Nation
11-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Cave Story

It may be somewhat recent, but it's in an old style, sort of.

ShadowTiger
11-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I miss Rise of the Triad. I wish I could find my install diskettes. It was the only game I actually bought the full version of before like, 1997. I miss Nox as well. Had so much fun with it, and I remember the hotkeys being extremely useful. Neverwinter Nights is still by far one of my favorite games. Get the Community Expansion Pack (CEP) just to mess around with in the editor. It has an unholy amount of new content in it - It feels almost as if it's about three or four times the content that included with the original game, even fully expanded.

I'm still a tremendous fan of the Ultima series, and will occasionally play through both Ultima 7 games and both Ultima Underworlds for the hell of it. I've been doing speed runs on the first UU for years.

Anthus
11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I've been playing through Mother recently. Aside form that other 'old' games I've been playing include Chrono Trigger, and Tales of Phantasia.

I was playing Terranigma for a while, but I quit for a while, and totally forgot what I was supposed to do. I know I'm towards the end too >.< I tried to get into Soul Blazer, and Legend of Gaia, but I just couldn't. v.v

I know none of these games are too old, but meh.. You asked. As for a truly nostalgic game from me, I play through Link to the Past, and Mario Bros 3 (and sometimes, OoT) on an almost regular basis. I have all three on my Wii (The latter on the collector's disk along with Zelda 1, and 2, and MM). Super Mario Bros 3, and AlttP are almost tied for my favorite gamer ever but I think I like AlttP better. SMB3 is easily my favorite NES game though.

Prrkitty
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I've been playing Dungeon Siege 2, Age of Empires III, Civilization 4 & Darkstone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone <- for the PC)

I need to get back into play Diablo 2 again...

ShadowTiger
11-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Ah, Darkstone. I really enjoyed that game. :) A fine mix between Diablo II and Dungeon Siege. Dungeon Siege 2 ... ... eh ... felt like a different game than Dungeon Siege 1. I really can't even explain it. :-/

The_Amaster
11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I started up one of my favorite old open-ended RPGs again recently; Avernum 3. I'd forgotten the absolute sense of freedom that this game gave you. It's almost like playing DnD on the computer, actually. Very refreshing after some of the more modern linear RPGs of late.

Sonic 3 still remains one of my most played VC games as well.

Modus Ponens
11-11-2008, 05:10 AM
I just got the copy of Diablo I ordered on eBay. It's a fun game. It's hard to believe it's more than a decade old.

MasterSwordUltima
11-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Jedi Knight for the PC. Shame it doesn't seem to want to install on my Vista laptop. :(