PDA

View Full Version : Subscreen Editor and Life & Magic Meters

redmage777
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I need to know if it is possible, and if so how I would go about doing a couple things with life and magic meters.

1.) Cloning a meter, but giving one a different graphic. The Idea is to give the impression that the meter is actually 16 tiles tall instead of just 8.
++++++++ - Top Half
======== - Bottom Half
If Link gets hit, both life bars take damage, but the heart icons are actually two halves of the same picture.

2.) Is it possible to animate either of the meters?

I suppose it could be scripted, If so does any want to take a crack at it?

CJC
11-10-2008, 08:14 PM
You can't do that with meters, but you CAN using individual heart pieces.

Create a complete set of heart objects, assign them the numerical order (I believe it goes 1st container, 2nd container, etc, with the highest number being the last container recieved. You'll need to play with it a bit, it's been over a year since I used the subscreen editor).

Next, clone your heart objects and place the corresponding clones beneath the originals (So that they have the same container number).

Make two sets of graphics, one that is the top of the health meter, and one that is the bottom. Make sure the graphic matches your hit scheme. If the top of the meter is only supposed to show two quarters of the health, make sure the image is empty for the remaining damage... after the container has taken two quarter hearts in damage. Likewise, make sure the bottom container stays full UNTIL you've taken three quarter hearts in damage, and then drain it.

...That last bit may have been a bit hard to follow. Oh well, the important stuff is pretty easy to understand, right?

As for animating it, I believe because of the way a meter works the game cannot animate it. If you want an animated health meter, the entirity of it will probably need to be scripted (And I'm not skilled enough in that to help you!)

Hope this was useful!