PDA

View Full Version : Explain Your Avatar

Modus Ponens
11-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Friends, I propose a thread in which we explain our avatars—where they came from, what they mean, how we got the image, that kind of thing. Of course, if you're using a public avatar, just explain why you chose it.

Naturally, I'll go first.

My avatar is a photo taken of me from a couple Halloweens ago, when I dressed up as Little Mac from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!. I chose it because after having been in this community for so long, I felt it would be fun to show my face in a public manner.

Anthus
11-04-2008, 12:27 AM
I was tired of not having an avatar, so I went onto a website for a song, and screencapped the image on the front page.

I chose this, not because I'm into anime, or anything, but because I like the song, and like the girls (not THAT way, but I like their style, or whatever). Plus, I figure, it is pretty eye catching. I also like the idea of people not being quite sure of my gender on the internet :o It is interesting.

Icey
11-04-2008, 12:29 AM
My avatar is a famous picture of a Californian lobbyist, Artie Samish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Samish). Because of the institutionally built in weakness of the state legislature during the 30s and 40s, Samish was able to basically single handedly decide, for his clients (the liquor industry) what legislation got passed and what didn't.

In a magazine interview, he took this photo, with his dummy "Mr. Legislator" whom he controlled. That interview and picture basically led to his downfall.

Badass, though. :p

Russ
11-04-2008, 12:48 AM
What can I say? I am AGN's biggest fan of EarthBound/Mother. So, nearly any avatar of mine will have something to do with that series. It's just the way I work. :)

AlexMax
11-04-2008, 12:52 AM
My avatar at presents represents my attitude towards you when I am browsing these forums.

Yes you. You, the individual sitting on the other side of your CRT or LCD.

Beldaran
11-04-2008, 01:00 AM
My avatar is Eddie, the mascot for the 1980's metal band Iron Maiden.

The Desperado
11-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Mine is a public one that a choose way back in the day. I choose it because FF7 is the greatest game ever made. And i wanted a strong evil character to represent the Empire.

phattonez
11-04-2008, 01:49 AM
I chose this avatar because the character Charlie was abandoned by the Simpsons and he was one of the funniest in the show.

Zaphod Q. IX
11-04-2008, 01:55 AM
My avatar is from a black and white poster advertising the 1976 Martin Scorsese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Scorsese) film Taxi Driver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_Driver). It's Robert De Niro standing in front of a taxi at a political rally. His character eventually attempts to assassinate the presidential candidate "Charles Palantine".

In late 2001 (or early 2002...I can't remember), I became staff here and got the privilege of a custom avatar. Back then you had to have 1000 posts or be on staff for a custom avatar. I chose this one because I love that movie, and because I actually looked like Robert De Niro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_De_Niro) from that film during the years 1992-1996. Mohawk and funky green jacket included. :sb:

I have used that avatar from then until now, with some exceptions. I've switched it up on certain holidays (including 4/20 and Christmas). I've used pictures of Jesus, Santa, bongs, marijuana, Hitler, my dog, and even my own image on occasion...but never for more than a day or two without going back to my original custom avatar.

I'm not sure I'll ever change it for good. It's become a part of me.
:shrug:

Trevelyan_06
11-04-2008, 03:26 AM
My current avatar is that of Dalek Sec, leader of the Cult of Skaro. I choose it because I have recently started watching the Doctor Who series and have become a fan. In it, like most other shows I watch, I find myself enjoying the villain just as much as I do the hero. Plus Daleks kick ass.

I've also used the Tardis from doctor who that someone, I can't remember who, thought was the phone booth from Bill and Ted. Bunch of Philistines I tell ya. Before that my avatar was one that a friend drew for me.

moocow
11-04-2008, 06:11 AM
My avatar is self-explanatory. I chose it because I thought it was funny.

The_Amaster
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
My avatar (at least right now) is the eye of the HAL 9000 series supercomputer from 2001: A Space Oddyssy. He eventually goes insane andn tries to kill all of the crew, but that doesn't keep him from being one of my favorite fictional characters of all time.

rock_nog
11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, I've already explained mine, but it's Death from the Pearl Jam video for "Do the Evolution." I just really liked the video.

Din
11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Mine is pretty self-explanatory. My name is "Din" so I put Din from Oracle of Seasons as my avatar!

Rijuhn
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Mine currently is Apple, which is a photo-realistic apple I digitally painted on my computer using my Wacom Intuos 2 graphics tablet.

I do random things all the time, and I used to have Mr. Muffin as my avatar (another creation of mine), but I wanted something new. The apple doesn't really represent anything though...and I want to change it to something awesome now.

In the past I've had:

- Megaman X
- Bass from the Megaman Series
- Rijuhn (the character I drew)-
an animated Megaman-esque box with the name RIJUHN fading in and out
- Mr. Muffin

Archibaldo
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Spongebob, because well, Spongebob is awesome. 'nuff said.

Pineconn
11-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Master Sword from Twilight Princess.

Shazza Dani
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
My current avatar is cropped from one of my favourite paintings by my favourite artist.

Gloomietta
11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Arietta the wild from tales of abyss

Cloral
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
When I first joined, you had to have 1000 posts to have a custom avatar. So I looked through the lists, and eventually selected the 'evil serge' (from Chrono Cross) avatar. Once I got to 1000 posts, I upgraded it to a cropped screengrab from the in-game cinematic where he turns evil.

Prrkitty
11-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Mine is a public avatar. I can't remember if it was DK, Gerudo or Dechy that said this one is pretty much ... me... red hair and sassy attitude (or bitchy attitude as needed).

MottZilla
11-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Mine is Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3. I recently played MGS4 and Snake is a badass so why not. For awhile my avatar was Rash from Battletoads punching an enemy in the nuts. It's been many different things before that like Kyo from King of Fighters, Raziel from Soul Reaver, Zero from Mega Man X, others I can't recall.

rocksfan13
11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
My avatar is a Simponized version of me when BK had their part in the Simpson's Movie last year.

erm2003
11-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Family Guy is awesome. Star Wars is awesome. Enough said.

Aegix Drakan
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
My avatar (as of now anyway), is a brawl screenshot of sonic sitting (well...he tripped, actually) in a perfect position to look like he's relaxing with a great view of the fire emblem stage in Brawl. (I go tthe screenshot from the Dojo a while back)

I like it because, well, my ideal state is similar to sonic. Free as the wind. Also, I am a pretty big sonic fan. That, and the screenshot seemed perfect. Sonic, slacking off and enjoying a nice view? Perfect. That's what I'd like to be doing.

@Moocow: I LOVE that avatar. It's just...hilarious, in a sad sort of way.

Lilith
11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
---

ZTC
11-05-2008, 12:55 AM
I have no explanation, as I have no avatar.
Previous avatars:
Kunckles running; 2001, I was on a major Sonic kick
Crapload of Mega Man/MMX avatars; all before I hit 1k 2004-2005
Super Sonic on a ledge; first custom avatar in 4 years.
Boss Hogg; just started watching Dukes of Hazard in 05
Ecchi girl sitting; was told that it was awesome
Don't remember
Don't remember
Girl licking blood; all I remember I disturbed two or three people with that one.
Catgirl
Catgirl
Catgirl
NekoArc; some loved, some annoyed by it

Maybe I should get something new uploaded sometime. :shrug:

AlphaDawg
11-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Um, my avatar is Donovan McNabb, QB of my beloved Philadelphia Iggles.

I was thinking of changing it to something Phillies-related after they won the series. Then I thought, maybe I can combine the two, perhaps a pic of McNabb wearing a Phillies cap. Unfortunately a GIS turned up nothing. Unfortunately even more, I suck at Photoshop. So maybe somebody here can make me a pic of McNabb wearing a Phillies cap. I'm prepared to give 500 Pineconn Dollars to whoever makes me one.

Dark Nation
11-05-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/image.php?u=136&dateline=1225897141 ?

ShadowTiger
11-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Current: Samus Aran, pretty much how she always is.
Reason: I'm a Smash Bros fan/fanatic. Samus is quite possibly my Main in Melee, and at least one of my secondaries in Brawl. In Melee, she's exactly my style.

SUCCESSOR
11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
It is my ass in all it's splendor. Look at it! Lust for it!

Just figured you need to see the best of me.

I would so clone and fuck myself.

AlphaDawg
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/image.php?u=136&dateline=1225897141 ?Thanks DN. Did you make that yourself, or do I suck at GIS'ing?

Either way, thanks very much, and I'm wiring 500 Pineconn dollars to you as I write this...

Dark Nation
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2008/05/medium_donovan_mcnabb.JPG + http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TXADMV1QL._AA280_.jpg = http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/image.php?u=136&dateline=1225897141

It's simple math. And GIS. And Photoshop. And too much time on my hands. :D

Modus Ponens
11-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Wow, that looks really good, DN. I especially like the facial shadow.

Aliem
11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Mine's just Azure Flame Kite, from .hack//G.U.

Not really much to explain... I just liked it.

rock_nog
11-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Alphadawg, I may disagree with your politics, but I LOVE your McNabb/Phillies combo. Mainly because I have a very close friend from Philly, and she'd beat the ever-loving crap out of me if I opposed her favorite teams.

Masamune
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Wu-Tang killa bees, we are the swarm.

Kairyu
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
It's mini-Robo-Ky running from a Magneton-evolved-form-thingy-whose-name-I-forget. Pretty sure it's not Manectric since that's a conehead dog thing but that's all that's coming to my mind. I think it might be Magnezone?

BACKSTORY:
The GG series is a fighting game series which is awesome. Every character (except for this 3-year-old winged girl with a lizard tail who lives with sky pirates led by a debonair hard drinking womanizing pedophile I swear I'm not making this stuff up here) has a move called an "Instant Kill." It instantly kills the opponent and ends the round. But it's really slow and obvious and screws you over if you miss so nobody uses them (except this French boi who collects teacups and rides lightning). But they're all really over-the-top.

One of the characters is Robo-Ky, a robotic clone of said French boi who plays nothing like him at all despite being a clone. Actually, he doesn't play like anyone else in the game. But his Instant Kill, like everything else about him, is awesome. He stuns the enemy with a sword, then a throne unfolds out of his back and he sits in it. Then he opens his mouth and his tongue turns into a red-carpeted stairway and four miniature Robo-Ky robots jump out of his mouth and walk down. The mini-Robo-Kys all surround and grab the dazed enemy, fly into the air, and explode.

Still with me? No? That's okay, it's not important.

For a while I was an assistant programmer at a Java-based recreation of the Advance Wars series with custom content (Custom Wars, the project completed but then AW:DoR came out so nobody plays anymore lol). I had a mini-Robo-Ky avatar, because I made it for a Guilty Gear discussion forum and loved it because it was awesome.

Eventually one incredibly awesome member (not me) submitted a new Commanding Officer based on Robo-Ky and Andy, the empty-headed hero of the AW series (who doesn't know what an airport does yet is still allowed to command massive legions of troops in an all-out war against an alien Snifit who coughs pink smoke I swear I'm not making any of this up at all). He was an awesome robotic clone of Andy called Robo-Andy.

I loved him so much I edited my Robo-Ky avatar to hold a giant wrench and have brown hair instead of blonde like the real Robo-Andy.

Then one day for reasons I forget everyone at the site started using bizarre Pokemon avatars, like a Girafarig trussed up to look like Stalin or Pikachu and pair of Pichus in a Megatank or a kitty Photoshop'd to look like a Shinx (still not making this up). I said "I KAN DOES THAT TOO" and changed my little marching mini-Robo-Andy into a little running mini-Robo-Andy and gave him a reason to run: A GIANT MAGNET OH GOD WHY IS IT CHASING ME GET IT AWAY GET IT AWAY OH MY GOD NO

Also the wrench is gone because the Magnet took it or something.

Sam Atoms
11-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Mine is a Protoss Observer, and when I'm on here it's usually to go lurking.

mrz84
11-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Mine is a chibi pic of Samus from one of the many Metroid dojin I found on the net many years ago. I've had several others through out the years though I don't remember them all. Here's a few:

Cheese(the food, not the chao)
Project Zombie(one of my original characters)
Kuno(from ranma 1/2)

That's all I can really remember..... :kitty:

MasterSwordUltima
11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
A couple years ago my fiancee [whom was only my girlfriend at the time] made me an AIM icon that is basically a pixelated version of my current avatar.

Then about a year or so ago, she made me a full size version to use as my avatar. I haven't worn a coat like that since high school, and my hair is quite a bit different [cleaned up a lot, and not as red], but I still like it.

aces2022
11-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I decided to pick this one because it's how I feel we humans are with God as a whole. We can almost touch him, almost feel him, almost be rigth there. But all we know is the direction to look and reach . Maybe someday day we will find it, know it and be able to be eternaly happy. That and because alot of the people I thought abandoned me on my quest for self fullfillment in life as a Marine left me totally by my self in the world started talking to me again.

AtmaWeapon
11-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Mine is the last frame of the next Harry Potter movie.

gray0x
11-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Jim Morrison for some reason. That's all there is to it.

Modus Ponens
11-08-2008, 02:39 AM

What is it really? I can't quite place it. It looks kinda like Ōkami, but I can't be sure.

Rijuhn
11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
What is it really? I can't quite place it. It looks kinda like Ōkami, but I can't be sure.

It looks exactly like the end of Okami. I should know, I just beat it a week and a half ago, and I loved the game completely ***** (<---- 5 STARS)!

Anyway, I've always diregarded Atmaweapons avatar because I could never figure out where or what it was...OMG, now I know! W00t!

Trevelyan_06
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Lies! I know the truth, it's a screen cap of the end of the internet.

Modus Ponens
11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
No, Trevelyan—this is a screen cap of the end of the internet:

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/space_arp_2.jpg

Cronic
11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
mines me... pretty straight forward... designed to put a smile on that face of yours, and to remind us all that... why so serious?

MasterSwordUltima
11-08-2008, 07:04 PM
I thought that Atma's was the ending screenshot from Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland. [shrug] If not, then its awfully similar.

aces2022
11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Jim Morrison for some reason. That's all there is to it.

Did anybody else think that was Will Ferrel at first?

"BOATS AND HOES"

Pryme8
11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
mine means i wish you all catch cancer and die

The_Amaster
11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Changed because Sonic Unleashed comes out in 7 days!

Pineconn
11-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Either way, thanks very much, and I'm wiring 500 Pineconn dollars to you as I write this...

Pineconn is pressing charges due to the illegal transfer of monies to a forum administrator. Only Pineconn can transfer Pineconn Dollars to such individuals.

You owe Pineconn and everyone claiming damage from this act... oh... 1 Chuck Norris Dollar. Gasp.

... ... Anyway... To remain somewhat on topic, I'll likely never change my avatar permanently. Sure, I've participated in avatar swaps (which were big-time fun and hilarious), but Pineconn = Master Sword in these parts of the West, partner.

*b*
11-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Bouncy Kirby is bouncy

Also made it myself, for no reason other than the fact I was bored

MasterSwordUltima
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
, but Pineconn = Master Sword in these parts of the West, partner.

I feel like part of my soul was just stolen...

rock_nog
11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Well that's good, Pineconn - that way my demotivational poster making fun of your inability to detect sarcasm on the Internet will never become obsolete.

Gerudo
11-11-2008, 11:56 AM
It's Keitaro from Love Hina. I've had this avatar for such a long time, and even though I havent been around much in recent months, it kinda identifies my name (ie; people know its me when they see it). I watched Love Hina a few years ago and became a little obsessed with it. I liked Love Hina Again more because of the art style and better animation.

Breaker
11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
It's a sloth, smiling. My signature represets most of the members of this forum. You know who you are.

Revfan9
11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I was once on a certain ROM site, and this website keeps track of the latest DS releases, with an accompanying thumbnail of the box art. One day, I saw this game on the box cover, and it just amazed me so much that I just had to save a copy of the image so I had proof that such a game existed. I felt like changing my avatar from that dumb Ganon and thought "Hell, why not?"

EDIT: I did some digging and found out that the game is called "Gachapin Nikki DS". It's apparently some kind of weird puzzle game aimed at small children. The box art is still the best thing ever though...

The_Amaster
11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah, Revfan, what game is that? I've always wondered.

Anthus
11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
I have a new avatar.

It causes nightmares. Literally.

But, I still like it. I'm not ashamed either. Oh well.

Pryme8
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
It's a sloth, smiling. My signature represets most of the members of this forum. You know who you are.

I always thought it was a self portrait o_O...

I really like your signature thing, im sure we have all felt that way breaker...

Revfan9
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah, Revfan, what game is that? I've always wondered.

After some digging and a crash course in basic Japanese, the title is "Gachapin Nikki DS". It's some kind of weird puzzle game targeted towards Japanese toddlers.

EDIT: I completely forgot that I edited my original post to contain the same information, sorry about that.

Aegix Drakan
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
My signature represets most of the members of this forum. You know who you are.

...The crazy stepmania players?

Seriously, every time I see that image, I think "Guy's first song is Max 300 on heavy mode, and he's never played before..." XD

Anthus
11-27-2008, 07:28 PM
It has to be the best dictionary game out there...

Even though its status as a "game" is disputed >.>

redmage777
11-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Its a nice picture of Tatt and Mail... Tatt looks just like a red mage Mail looks like she could be a female fighter... The only classes that were even worth using in the NES version of Final Fantasy.

At the time tough I had just "discovered" Popful Mail and thought it was a pretty cool game (Still do BTW)

The_Amaster
11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Hehe, Tobias, read IGN much?

Its Iron Man. I like Iron Man.

Pryme8
11-28-2008, 02:44 PM
its my representation that all of you should of been aborted...

Shazza Dani
11-28-2008, 03:29 PM
its my representation that all of you should of been aborted...

That's should have or should've, not should of. Go abort yourself. ;P

Pryme8
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM
That's should have or should've, not should of. Go abort yourself. ;P

hater...

its all good, you should of at least