PDA

View Full Version : The Great Election Game!

The Desperado
11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
With the election only being a few days ago, i figured we'd play a little game with it. List all fifty states, plus DC, and guess whether McCain or Obama will win that state. Whoever gets the most correct wins bragging rights.

Alabama -McCain
Alaska - McCain
Arizona - McCain
Arkansas - McCain
California - Obama
Colorado - Obama
Connecticut - Obama
Delaware - Obama
District of Columbia - Obama
Florida - Obama
Georgia - McCain
Hawaii - Obama
Idaho - McCain
Illinois - McCain
Indiana - McCain
Iowa - Obama
Kansas - McCain
Kentucky - McCain
Louisiana - Obama
Maine - Obama
Maryland - Obama
Massachusetts - Obama
Michigan - Obama
Minnesota - Obama
Mississippi - McCain
Missouri - Obama
Montana - McCain
Nebraska - McCain
Nevada - Obama
New Hampshire - Obama
New Jersey - Obama
New Mexico - Obama
New York - Obama
North Carolina -Obama
North Dakota - McCain
Ohio - Obama
Oklahoma - McCain
Oregon - Obama
Pennsylvania - Obama
Rhode Island - Obama
South Carolina - McCain
South Dakota - McCain
Tennessee - McCain
Texas - McCain
Utah - McCain
Vermont - Obama
Virginia - Obama
Washington - Obama
West Virginia - McCain
Wisconsin - Obama
Wyoming - McCain

Pineconn
11-01-2008, 03:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/PokeMaster/elec08.png

A tie? :laughing:

rock_nog
11-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey, that isn't fair, Desperado. You clearly just stole your predictions from fivethirtyeight.com, which was totally my plan before I went over your list and figured out what you had done. Now what am I supposed to predict?

The Desperado
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Actually I didnt steal them completely. They have been putting Indiana into play and I just dont think its going to happen. And you can just predict the same, then when we're both right we just claim that we're both geniuses.

rock_nog
11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Alright, I do predict the same, except give me Illinois for Obama.

MottZilla
11-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I really hope everyone doesn't list it like you did. People should just take a US map and color them as they think it will be. Otherwise no one is gonna look through 50 fucking states per person trying to guess.

It will be nice when we finally have the election behind us, hopefully with desirable results.

Pineconn
11-01-2008, 07:20 PM
http://news.aol.com/elections/predict-the-president

I used that map and took a print screen.

Icey
11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v367/139/89/2541492/n2541492_43319653_2789.jpg

This was my halfassed prediction - and by that, I mean I didn't go by the polls for swing states, but with either a guess or a gut instinct.

Dunno how similar or dissimilar it is to eveyone else - but yes, definitely make images so we can compare. Gigantic lists... no.

Edit: I decided to stop being lazy and fix my image.

rock_nog
11-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Alright then, here are my predictions in pictoral form.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/macweirdo42/Untitled.png

EDIT: Oh crap, just noticed - I had meant to give North Carolina to Obama. Damnit!

Icey
11-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Hah, both of us messed up, and both of us are too lazy to fix it. :p

Also, if there were a tie, it would throw the election to the House. And we all know which candidate the Democratic House would choose.

Pineconn
11-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Being from Ohio, I have the strange instinct that McCain will win it... However, Ohio has chosen the president correctly for the past 40 or so years... Hm, this should be interesting.

aces2022
11-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm with Pineconn. McCain

rock_nog
11-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Of course, height had correctly predicted the president, too (the taller candidate has always won for I don't know how long), but that was upset in 2004 when John Kerry (who is significantly taller than Bush) lost.

MottZilla
11-02-2008, 03:04 PM
We also have never elected a Senator to be President or atleast that's very uncommon. That one is down the tubes now.

Icey
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
We've had 15 senators as president - John Tyler and Andrew Johnson weren't elected in their own right though (became president when Harrison and Lincoln died, respectively) - so make it 13. If you don't want to count Nixon, since he was elected after being both a Senator and VP under Eisenhower, make it 12. Add Obama or McCain and you get 13. 13/44 is like 30%, so almost every one in three presidents. It's definitely a minority, but it isn't that uncommon.

Beldaran
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Here is my prediction:

http://www.forrestkyle.com/prediction.jpg

AlexMax
11-03-2008, 02:45 AM
I don't have an 'opinion' insomuch as that I think one set of polls is more accurate than the other. And so far, I've found this to be pretty comprehensive (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=1).

For laughs, here's the New York Posts's "outlook" (http://www.nypost.com/seven/11022008/news/politics/poll_lifts_hope_of_mac_miracle_136467.htm). Oh Rupert you card...

Being from Ohio, I have the strange instinct that McCain will win it... However, Ohio has chosen the president correctly for the past 40 or so years... Hm, this should be interesting.

I sure as fuck hope not. Both Florida and Ohio have proven several times in the past that they can not be trusted with the future of our democracy.

Beldaran
11-03-2008, 03:35 AM
the future of our democracy.

As we are not a democracy, this doesn't bother me much.

Constitutional Republic FTW.

aces2022
11-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Either way we still can't samoke. Screw bigotry.

rock_nog
11-03-2008, 09:15 AM
As we are not a democracy, this doesn't bother me much.

Constitutional Republic FTW.
All the same, I swear, if I hear the phrase "hanging chad" used in reference to this election, I will personally spearhead efforts to kick Florida out of the U.S.

Cloral
11-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Back in the day, presidential candidates were frequently from Ohio to try to help ensure they voted for the desired side, since Ohio is a state that can go either way and has a lot of electoral votes.

rock_nog
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Alright, I think it's time we started analyzing the results. Okay, looks like I'm two off - Indiana went Obama, and Missouri went McCain. So that's 48 out of 50 for me, not too shabby.

Icey
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Alright, I think it's time we started analyzing the results. Okay, looks like I'm two off - Indiana went Obama, and Missouri went McCain. So that's 48 out of 50 for me, not too shabby.

47/50 for you. North Carolina went Obama. Edit: Oh, nevermind, you got 48/50. I forgot you were too lazy to change your picture and amended your prediction in a later post :p

I got 48/50. North Carolina and Virginia went Obama, and I put them for McCain.

The Desperado
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
48/50. I had Indiana for McCain and Missouri for Obama.

Icey
11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Illinois - McCain

47/50. And this time I'm actually correct. I distinctly remembered how you called Illinois for McCain (and rock_nog even mentioned it after your post) and wondering what the fuck you were on. lol

The Desperado
11-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Must have been a mistype cause I'm not that retarded. Or am I? ;)

Icey
11-07-2008, 06:59 AM
I dunno, see, it's hard to think that you wanted to put Illinois for McCain, but... you put that in stone, and what's done is done.

In some ways, this was like casting a vote, and you made an error filling out your ballot. This makes you as bad as those Florida residents whose ballots suffered from hanging chads in 2000. Thus, I conclude that you are responsible for George Bush winning the electoral college in 2000.

THANKS A LOT DESPERADO.