PDA

View Full Version : Okami for the Wii, freaking AWESOME!

Rijuhn
10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
First off let me stary by saying this, if you are a fan of the 3-D Zeldas then you will love this game.

It has a Teen rating and for good reasons, death and Issun's smart mouth. I feel I can take the game more seriously when story-centric characters actually die, and when the comedy isn't aimed at children. It also has a well written story, and the characters are believable and well-rounded.

The game can only work on the Wii or on the PC as it stands now, but it's tailored for the Wii. It originally came out for the PS2, but doing the Celestial Brush techniques properly with a joystick was a pain in the groin. Some of the techniques are still hard to pull off even now for me (I'm at the end of the game and I'm going to beat it tomorrow), but after about 15 hours into the game the battles really flow since you really know how to utilize your attacks.

So for anyone who was put off by Twilight Princess then I think you should check out Okami.

Modus Ponens
10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
You hear that, Bel?

vegeta1215
10-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Man, you are late to the game ;)

Okami is such an awesome game though. I was blown away by it. It took me a little while to get used to the wiimote controls for the celestial brush, but now I can't imagine playing the game any other way. There are a few optional brush techniques later on that are hard to do (thunderstorm, galestorm, blizzard), but they mainly don't work cause you draw them too big and you don't have enough ink to do it. The Sei-city side quest with the patterns you draw for Mr. Chic is a pain in the ass though. Probably the worst part of the game. Thankfully it's only a side quest.

bwt, there are probably some tips etc the big Okami thread I started back in april. http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102324

Beldaran
10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
You hear that, Bel?

hehe, indeed but I need to finish Mario, Metroid, and Zelda first. That's a couple of months of gaming right there.

ShadowTiger
10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Okami is so good you need to drop everything you're doing, get it, play it, and discuss it with us.

Brawl is a terrible, terrible game in comparison. And I'm a smasher. Call it a lethal case of heresy if you will, but I feel no guilt in saying that Okami is one of the best games I've ever played, and I truly regret having beaten it; for now there is no more Okami left for me to play. :(

What's all this about Okami being on the PC?

Modus Ponens
10-30-2008, 11:47 PM

Yeah, no kidding! I sort of glazed over that when I first read Rijuhn's post, but wtf?

MUST KNOW

Nicholas Steel
10-31-2008, 03:09 AM
He must use the Dolphin emulator :O (unless thats only for the gamecube >.>")

Rijuhn
10-31-2008, 03:14 PM

Sorry everyone, I should've clarified my statement.

"The game can only work on the Wii or on the PC as it stands now, but it's tailored for the Wii."

I was refering to the fact that using the PS2 joystick is annoying, and using a PC mouse or the Wii Remote are the only real ways to make the gameplay work. As far as I know there are no plans for the game to come to the PC. I was just trying to get the point across that the brush needs to be handled with procision.

Icey
10-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I have to say that I disagree on one point - playing Okami on the Wii is all good and everything, but I never had any trouble playing it on the PS2.

Either way, though, I have to agree that Okami is definitely one of the best games out there... more like a real Zelda game than Twilight Princess was, sadly.

Cloral
10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry everyone, I should've clarified my statement.

"The game can only work on the Wii or on the PC as it stands now, but it's tailored for the Wii."

I was refering to the fact that using the PS2 joystick is annoying, and using a PC mouse or the Wii Remote are the only real ways to make the gameplay work. As far as I know there are no plans for the game to come to the PC. I was just trying to get the point across that the brush needs to be handled with procision.

Actually, I had very little trouble with the brush on the PS2 version. Less even than I've heard people reporting with it on the Wii. I'm sure the Wii brush feels a bit more natural, but it worked fine on the PS2. And I never had trouble with it not detecting the brush stroke I was trying to do (except on the first boss where if I drew a straight vine it would sometimes decide I wanted a slash instead). This might be because some of the symbols, like the thunderbolt, were designed around the precision of the analog stick - it is really easy to do the sharp corners that symbol needs to work, while I've heard people complain about getting it to recognize on the Wii.

DarkFlameWolf
10-31-2008, 05:09 PM
yes, trying to get the thunderbolt to hit that stray bead chest in sei-an city was a pain in the @ss.