PDA

View Full Version : Weeeee!

Beldaran
10-28-2008, 01:44 AM
As Zank Tripper and Modus Ponens (two of my real life friends) know, I bought a Wii on Saturday night.

I got Wii Sports (included, obviously), Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3.

HOLYFUCKINGSHITITSSOMUCHGODAMNEDFUN.

I can't sleep anymore. MP3 is the best FPS I have ever played. It's my new favorite game. Mario Galaxy is the best platformer in history. It's my new favorite game. (oh shit! Two favorite games!)

I'm having so much fun. The Wii is the best console I have ever owned. I love you, Wii. I love you. The Wiimote is ridiculously fun. I am brutal with the wiimote aiming in Metroid Prime 3. I am just so addicted to this fucking console. Even the little games I don't give a crap about are fun, just because of the interface.

My console ID: 2956 1917 7794 3086

Pineconn
10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
I can't sleep anymore. MP3 is the best FPS I have ever played. It's my new favorite game.

It is very addicting. Just wait until you play through the game on Hypermode difficulty. :scared:

(However... why do I sense a slight bit of sarcasm in your post...?)

Disclaimer: If you are not being sarcastic, glad to hear you are enjoying the Wii.

Beldaran
10-28-2008, 02:53 AM
(However... why do I sense a slight bit of sarcasm in your post...?)

No sarcasm. I just sound like such an idiot, you assume I must be kidding. I am not, however, kidding. I am absolutely enjoy playing this console.

Vagla
10-28-2008, 03:54 AM
Honestly, I'm not a big Metroid Prime 3 fan. While an improvement over MP2, there were a lot of things about the game that bugged me and a ton of things I'd consider pretty severe design flaws. It's certainly a good, enjoyable game, though. :) Mario Galaxy, on the other hand...I had, like, three small complaints about the game. And that's it. It was brilliant. One of the best games I've ever played, without a doubt. I remain amazed at how well it turned out!

I highly recommend you pick up Mercury Meltdown Revolution. I think it's the best deal on the system. It's one of the best Wii games I own and has a ton of content, especially considering the price. Trauma Center: New Blood is also fantastic, but me warned that it's very hard. Blast Works is pretty fun and has a lot of user generated content, though it took me a little while to like it. I definitely consider it worth the asking price, at least. No More Heroes is another must-have; its style is really amazing. I also can't pass up mentioning Zack & Wiki, which is dirt cheap right now.

In the event you haven't played the shit out of it already (and even if you have), Resident Evil 4 for Wii is fantastic. It's the best version of the game, both in content and in play control. The Wii controls make the game just so much better. It really is a joy to aim on the Wii version.

Mario Strikers Charged is a great multiplayer game, if you have someone around to play with (best as a 2p game). The single player gets pretty bland.

Elebits is another neat game you should pick up. It should be really cheap now; I'd say it's worth it at $20 without a doubt. It makes great use of the Wii remote. You should also pick up Link's Crossbow Training if you can find it for cheap enough. It's a lot of fun, but pretty short.

Oh, and the Homebrew Channel is pretty neat. Get it. :)

It's really refreshing to see threads like this after reading a lot of people talking about how they never play their Wiis anymore. There's a lot of good content to be had on the system.

Beldaran
10-28-2008, 04:40 AM
Honestly, I'm not a big Metroid Prime 3 fan.

Followed by:

Resident Evil 4 for Wii is fantastic.

Let's me know that you are so dramatically different from me that I can't possibly take any of your advice seriously.

aces2022
10-28-2008, 05:04 AM
lol If you like racing games Need For Speed Carbon is one the best racing games out there. Seriously. Even if you don't like Need for Speed. I hated it actually before the Wii. But there's just something amazing when drifting and it's actually like your pressing the gas. You lift up on the Wii-mote to let off the gas. It's gotta a good speed feel and has a great deal of replay, heck of alot of cars, the customisation is insanely better than any game out there. It also has alot of freeplay and exploring feels like it has a purpose with it's city.

Vagla
10-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Fine, don't listen to any of my advice, then. Metroid Prime 3 is a decent game, but man, it has so many irritating flaws that I couldn't overlook while playing it. None of the Prime games were bad, and Prime 3 is certainly better than the second. However, it introduced a lot of issues that weren't in prior games (or at least in Prime 1, which I'm more familiar with than 2) and a lot of aspects were unnecessarily repetitive and not as compelling as they could have been. I found boss fights to be a disappointment on the whole.

And you don't like Resident Evil 4? Weird. I'm not going to knock you for it; I'm just surprised, as I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. The graphics, (most of) the controls, the environments, the weapons, the gameplay... I find it to be an incredibly well crafted game. It manages to surprise me every time I play it.

But whatever. Clearly our somewhat differing opinions regarding shooters indicates that our preferences vary wildly for puzzle games, shootemups, 3D beatemups, point and click adventure games, doctor simulators, and sports games. I hope you at least read reviews of those games; I promise they're all at least pretty good. ;)

Oh, and Mercury Meltdown Revolution kicks ass.

Aegix Drakan
10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Glad to hear you like it.

:P If you like Zelda style games, go look up Okami Wii (unless you alreay plaed it on PS2). Okami is great.

...oh...and if you like brutally hard, yet innately silly shooter games (like gradius), then go give Castle of Shikigami 3 a try. It's pretty awesome, especially with 2 players.

MottZilla
10-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Congrats Beldaran. I take it you were able to walk into a store and buy it, not have to camp out or anything? I've heard that as of late the Wii actually have been in stock in stores. I bought the Wii when it came out and camped out for it. But I ended up selling it to my brother as it wasn't really able to compete for my attention with the Xbox 360. Ofcourse this was at launch, there have since been more games I'm rather interested in. My theory on selling it was by the time I wanted to play alot of Wii games, the system and games would be cheaper. Not yet though. =(

Elebits did look amusing to me. Super Monkey Ball was cool too. Then ofcourse there is Mario Kart. And if you like Metroid Prime 3, that new FPS Conduit might be to your liking.

rock_nog
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Way to go, man. Seriously, your post reminded me of just how much Mario Galaxy blew me away - it's been a good while since I played it, but man, every second of that game was a blast.

Oh, and I highly recommend Mario Kart. Honestly, for me, it usurped Mario Kart 64 as my favorite ever. The tracks are all amazing, and there's enough new elements added (bikes are awesome, 12 players is a blast, and of course Internet multiplayer is just the best thing to ever happen to Mario Kart).

Beldaran
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
...oh...and if you like brutally hard, yet innately silly shooter games (like gradius), then go give Castle of Shikigami 3 a try

Oh cool, I'll definitely check that out. I love those kinds of games.

Congrats Beldaran. I take it you were able to walk into a store and buy it, not have to camp out or anything? I've heard that as of late the Wii actually have been in stock in stores.

Yeah, I called Best Buy and they had like 30 Wiis. They must have just gotten a shipment, because every other store in Waco was sold out. I had sort of casually been wanting to buy a Wii for almost a year, but honestly they were just sold out every single time I inquired.

ShadowTiger
10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I got mine from the Nintendo Store in Manhatten last year, some time around the end of June. They had a whole wall of them. Or at least something that generally resembled a wall, whose bricks are in actuality composed of Wii boxes. Oh yes.

Get Brawl. It's fantastic. This is, of course, the opinion of a serious Smasher, but it's a lot more balanced than Melee was, and is highly enjoyable. I've seen people who thought they wouldn't like it pick it up and, well, enjoy it.

Breaker
10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
I bought a wii, played it for two months, and it's been collecting dust ever since. The games you mentioned I purchased, played, and beat, and then there was nothing to do with it anymore. They were a lot of fun, but there's not many great games being released on the Wii and their library sucks. It got to the point where I had to hack it so now it's just an SNES emulator for my living room, which in itself is very cool.

Beldaran
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, there are like 8 games I'm really interested in for the Wii. That's something like 300 hours of entertainment. Given that I am very busy and don't spend an inordinate amount of time playing games (maybe 10 hrs a week? Less than that if I'm reading a good book at the time), that's about 30 weeks. So 7 months of basically non-stop fun is worth $600 to me.

That doesn't even include Wiiware, and Virtual Console titles. Modus Ponens got me Secret of Mana as a "welcome to the wii" present, and I know that's not the only game I intend to download.

I could play the existing library of games for at least a year before I got antsy and wanted a new game to come out.

Aegix Drakan
10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Oh cool, I'll definitely check that out. I love those kinds of games.

Nice. It's even better 2 player. Not just because of the teamwork aspect, but...the dialogue combos are.....interesting, to say the least....... >_< Take Roger Sasuke (the ninja looking guy) and the "butler"...and....yeah, you'll see what I mean.

Pineconn
10-28-2008, 09:03 PM
No sarcasm. I just sound like such an idiot, you assume I must be kidding. I am not, however, kidding. I am absolutely enjoy playing this console.

You don't sound like an idiot... I just wasn't sure if you were sincere or not. Now I know you are. :)

Quite honestly, I was the same when I got the Wii. I'm certainly not giddy about it anymore, but the motion controls in MP3 are just phenomenal... I love playing that game. Hypermode is so freaking hard and so freaking worth it. I honestly haven't found ANY problems with the controls in MP3... except for my crossed legs sometimes getting in the way of the Wiimote and the sensor bar. ;)

Icey
10-29-2008, 02:59 AM
I bought a wii, played it for two months, and it's been collecting dust ever since. The games you mentioned I purchased, played, and beat, and then there was nothing to do with it anymore. They were a lot of fun, but there's not many great games being released on the Wii and their library sucks. It got to the point where I had to hack it so now it's just an SNES emulator for my living room, which in itself is very cool.

I agree entirely. I loved SMG, MP3, and Wii Sports. But after a while... my Wii hasn't seen any use. The most I do with it is play Punchout! every once in a while..

Nicholas Steel
10-29-2008, 04:39 AM
elaborate on the issue's with MP3 please. I've only played MP2 and find it to be incredibly fun, granted most new games I've played have been absolute crap. Mario Kart Wii is alright, but only with a friend, they removed all the shortcuts and customization settings... you can't do 1 vs 1 battle or racing, you can't customize what power ups are present, you cant remove all power ups and it is STILL boring if you can't help but be 1st all the time... you get banana's dud crates, green shells... that's it. Also, the blue shell can now no longer be blocked, the last good Mario Kart I played was Mario Kart 64 (on the actual n64) even though it ran slower because nintendo was too lazy to adjust it properly for PAL.

Vagla
10-29-2008, 12:31 PM
It's been a while, so unfortunately I can't remember them all, but I'll name a few (in a spoiler, in case someone finds any of this to be spoilers).

-=SPOILER=-

War Lord
10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Your enthusiasm for the system is great. I too was like that at one point.
I bought it at launch, and now I never play it and haven't for quite a while.
Once that initial gimmick wore off, I was done.

I hope your spirits stay as high for the system as they are now.

With a 360, I never even think to turn on my Wii, I just can't bring myself to sell it however.

Beldaran
10-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Your enthusiasm for the system is great. I too was like that at one point.
I bought it at launch, and now I never play it and haven't for quite a while.
Once that initial gimmick wore off, I was done.

I hope your spirits stay as high for the system as they are now.

With a 360, I never even think to turn on my Wii, I just can't bring myself to sell it however.

Well, I'll probably like it for a long time. I'm just like that. First off, I don't have any other consoles, so the Wii is the center of my gaming universe right now.

Second, I still play PC games that I used to enjoy years ago. I go through phases and get bored of this or that game, but in the long run I keep playing games long after the shine has worn off. I've beaten Chrono Trigger like 4 times without using NewGame+. (I've gotten all the endings with NewGame+). Last year I played through all the original DOOM games from start to finish on a really hard difficulty. I still play some arcade games from time to time.

I think the Wii is great fun, and since I don't make very many gaming purchases, I think I'll get a lot of mileage out of it. I just don't need a new thing every two months to keep interested.

It will probably be Fall of 2009 by the time I've played through the library of good games and get bored of the Wii. By then, maybe some awesome new games will come out. In my mind, a year of fun is worth the cost of a $250 console and some games.

Nicholas Steel
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
It's been a while, so unfortunately I can't remember them all, but I'll name a few (in a spoiler, in case someone finds any of this to be spoilers).

-=SPOILER=-They do that in Metroid Prime 2 too, or do they do it more earlier or with a more detailed guide directing you directly to the item?

-=SPOILER=-o_o MP2 is awesome, well it is up to the point where you have to hunt down the Sky Temple Keys... up until you reach that point, the game is awesome! For the rest of your opinion/thoughts, it seems like the game has gone the way of every other new game in good franchises. BTW, someone mentioned to me that they may not like MP2 because it is fairly same/same to MP1 but with a dark world gimmick, I accept people hating it for that reason but as a game on its own, it is great.

Rijuhn
10-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Well, I'll probably like it for a long time. I'm just like that. First off, I don't have any other consoles, so the Wii is the center of my gaming universe right now.

Second, I still play PC games that I used to enjoy years ago.....

.....I think the Wii is great fun, and since I don't make very many gaming purchases, I think I'll get a lot of mileage out of it. I just don't need a new thing every two months to keep interested.

It will probably be Fall of 2009 by the time I've played through the library of good games and get bored of the Wii. By then, maybe some awesome new games will come out. In my mind, a year of fun is worth the cost of a $250 console and some games.

Glad to hear about you purchasing a Wii. I was one of the 32 people to camp outside (11 hours) in the cold in front of my local Wal-Mart.

The Wii is my only console right now, and with all the Wii games I've yet to play plus virtual console games plus backwards compatibility I'm set for at least 8 months of gaming. The best thing is when I'm done catching up there are going to be about 5 games that I'm going to want to thoroughly beat, so I'm trying to time it right so that there are never any periods of non-gaming.

I signed up for Gamefly, which is a gaming service in the mail. I can have 2 games out at a time for the price of $26 a month. So I get the game about 2-4 after I mail the other one back. It seemed like a lot of money at first, but it turns out to be the cheapest way for me to play all the games on the GCN and Wii that've interested me over the years, but wasn't wanting to rent or buy.

You might also want to check out Cooking Mama. They're coming out with a sequel sometime in November I believe, and I had quite a bit of fun with that quirky game.

Happy Gaming!

aces2022
10-30-2008, 05:37 AM
I got my Wii New Years Eve last year. It turned out that it made it one of the best parties ever. Everyone loved it. At the end of the night when I was droned, my friend and I were playing boxing and I punched him in face. I went EA sports on him and yelled YOUR IN THE GAME!.

vegeta1215
10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
MP3 and Mario Galaxy are really great. Like others have said, you definitely need to get Okami and Zack and Wiki too. I also recommend Tomb Raider Anniversary, and Wario Land: Shake It.

DarkFlameWolf
10-30-2008, 11:58 PM
I loved Zack and Wiki up to the point of the final puzzle with those stupid pirate battles. Killed me every time. Got so frustrated I sold the damn game.

Anthus
10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Galaxy is cool. MP3 is okay, but it is better than MP2, which blew.

rock_nog
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
You know, all this talk about the Wii has actually led to a newfound appreciation for my Wii. Not that I don't play it, but I usually stick to virtual console/Wiiware these days (well, and Mario Kart). But I've actually decided to dig out my copy of Galaxy and play through again. Damn, it's every bit as fun as I remember.

The_Amaster
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Galaxy is one of those games where the levels are just so much sheer fun to play through that you go back and do them over and over just of the hell of it...at least I do.
Funnily enough, I only moderately enjoy Brawl, while my 13 year old brother and 9 year old sister are so competitive that they play constantly and can beat me easily. It's kinda annoying. Same with Mario Kart, although not as bad, and I still really enjoy MK.

Nicholas Steel
10-31-2008, 09:20 PM
do your little kids use cheap tactics to win? if yes, that may be why you don't like it that much! go smack them each time they use cheap tactics until they stop!