PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory World Series discussion thread

AlphaDawg
10-23-2008, 01:03 AM
As I write this my hometown Phillies are up 1-0 vs the Tampa Bay Rays in the World Series! We are just three wins away from the biggest party Philadelphia has seen in at least the last 25 years!

Most of the so-called experts on ESPN.com are picking the Rays to win the series, just like most of them picked the Dodgers to win the NLCS. One of them predicted a Rays sweep, so that one's out the window now.

I hope the Phils can take it in 4 or 5 so they can start partying at home, but I think a 6 or 7 game series is more likely. No matter when they win, I'll see everyone who can make it at the parade!

Zaphod Q. IX
10-23-2008, 01:47 AM
I think the Phillies have a good shot at winning it all. I hate you.

I have the Reds and Bengals to cheer for. :sb:

Go Ocho Cinco! :rolleyes:

Perhaps we'll have a good football team again when Carson Palmer's kid brother is old enough to shave. I have even less hope for the Reds. Perhaps Marge Schotte will come back from the dead...she'd whip them into shape.

aces2022
10-23-2008, 04:39 AM
What are you talking about you still have the Tribe. Which went to the final playoffs last year only to loose the 7th game to those bastard Red Sox. Besides I think the Rays are gonna take. I knew the Phillies would come out and surprise people the first game but I don't think they have much more gas in the tank. They don't look hungry and they're clutching the bats for dear life. It will be a good series.

phattonez
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Go Rays. I have no respect for the Phils this year, so I have to betray the NL and go with the newcomers. Of course, it's not because they beat us, it's because of all those hit batters, and for no reason.

aces2022
10-24-2008, 02:24 AM
BOO-YAH!! Rays make it 1-1.

AlphaDawg
10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, last night's game was rather depressing. The Phillies had no trouble getting men on base but after that their bats apparently turned to Jell-O...

Oh well, at least they're coming back to Philly with home-field advantage!

AlphaDawg
10-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Go Rays. I have no respect for the Phils this year, so I have to betray the NL and go with the newcomers. Of course, it's not because they beat us, it's because of all those hit batters, and for no reason.Sorry Phattonez, I gotta disagree with you here. As Tim McCarver said at least 100 times during the NLCS, pitching inside is a part of the game. If batters don't want to get hit, they shouldn't crowd the plate! Ask Philly's own Chase Utley, who actually led the league in HBPs this year.

Anyway, last night was a wild and crazy game, no doubt about it. The Phillies still can't get a hit with RISP. It doesn't really matter this time of the year, as long as they get the W. 2 more wins to the parade, baby!

Masamune
10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm so sick of hearing all this Phillies shit. Every local news channel is hyped about something Phillies related, every store is selling "Authentic Phillies T-Shirts and gear". Can't wait until this world series bullshit is over.

phattonez
10-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Sorry Phattonez, I gotta disagree with you here. As Tim McCarver said at least 100 times during the NLCS, pitching inside is a part of the game. If batters don't want to get hit, they shouldn't crowd the plate! Ask Philly's own Chase Utley, who actually led the league in HBPs this year.

Martin twice? Manny once and another pitch behind him. That's all in two games, don't you think that's a little much?

AlphaDawg
10-26-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm so sick of hearing all this Phillies shit. Every local news channel is hyped about something Phillies related, every store is selling "Authentic Phillies T-Shirts and gear". Can't wait until this world series bullshit is over.Yeah, I don't really care for the local media coverage either. I just watch the games and that's about it. Also for every store selling "authentic" Phillies gear, there's probably two or three selling knockoff gear.

Martin twice? Manny once and another pitch behind him. That's all in two games, don't you think that's a little much?I think Martin only got hit once. He was put on his ass by Brett Myers another time. And Brett said the brushback pitch slipped out of his hand. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, doesn't really matter that much. One of your guys threw over Victorino's head, so all's good in love and baseball.

Meanwhile, holy crap! The pitcher Joe Blanton just hit a home run! 6-2 Phils!

ctrl-alt-delete
10-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Go Phillies!

AlphaDawg
10-27-2008, 12:47 AM
The Phillies bats finally wake up as they smash the Rays 10-2! One more to go! And Cole Hamels will be pitching! What could possibly go wrong?

Na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good... er, not quite yet, but almost!

By the way, here's a funny picture a buddy of mine sent me:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj7/KingSquee/DoitforSteveIrwin.jpg

Pineconn
10-27-2008, 12:54 AM
The Phillies bats finally wake up as they smash the Rays 10-2! One more to go! And Cole Hamels will be pitching! What could possibly go wrong?

Last year the Cleveland Indians went up over the Boston Red Sox 3-1 in the ALCS and we all know how that ended. ;)

aces2022
10-27-2008, 04:39 AM
SHUUUUT UUUUUP Screw the Red Sox. I despise even hearing the word socks any more. Indians deserved it, they even came through the Yankees. The Red Sox got some dumb luck. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cleveland fan, they got luckier than a llama licking a lollipop. The way todays game ended made me depressed. Everybody always...ALWAYS counts the down team out, no matter how good they are. I still think the Rays can come back. That pic of Steve was hilariouos.

AlphaDawg
10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
The Phillies bats finally wake up as they smash the Rays 10-2! One more to go! And Cole Hamels will be pitching! What could possibly go wrong?Um, wow, what can I say? A suspended game? Seriously? Maybe there is something to the Curse of Billy Penn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn) after all... he isn't giving up without a fight!

Addendum: I just looked out my window... snow flurries! The plot thickens! (I live about 15 miles from the ballpark, for what it's worth.)

Masamune
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Addendum: I just looked out my window... snow flurries! The plot thickens! (I live about 15 miles from the ballpark, for what it's worth.)

That's exactly what I was thinking. What business do we have getting snow so soon?

phattonez
10-28-2008, 03:17 PM
The Phillies should never be allowed to participate in the World Series again for this. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia my ass.

AlphaDawg
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good... er, not quite yet, but almost!Ahem, so as I was saying...

Na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!

We've waited 25 years for a title, we could have done another 46 hours standing on our head! And to think, some people were saying the Rays had the advantage thanks to the suspension!

See ya'll at the parade!

aces2022
10-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Congrats to Phils fans.

phattonez
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks to this delay, game 5 took about 3 days to finish and I didn't get to see the end of the World Series. Thank you Philly.

Sam Atoms
11-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Congrats AlphaDawg. I know very well how long you'd been waiting for this.

Masamune
11-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Alpha, where were you at teh parade?

aces2022
11-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I heard there were 2 million people at that parade.

AlphaDawg
11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Alpha, where were you at teh parade?I had tickets for the Linc, but sadly I did not make it because Septa stopped running southbound trains. So I went to the Fogo de Chao a couple blocks from City Hall for lunch instead.

I got home just in time to hear Chase Utley drop the F-bomb on live TV, so all was good!

phattonez
11-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I got home just in time to hear Chase Utley drop the F-bomb on live TV, so all was good!
That's the way to represent UCLA!

Masamune
11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I had tickets for the Linc, but sadly I did not make it because Septa stopped running southbound trains. So I went to the Fogo de Chao a couple blocks from City Hall for lunch instead.

We didn't have tickets to anything, we just climbed up onto a roof. Lol.

Matteo
11-12-2008, 12:43 AM
I haven't been around to celebrate on the forums; but hell yeah man!

Fightin Phils!