PDA

View Full Version : To make a cave.

PompeyLegend08
10-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Can someone give me the EXACT steps to making a cave on ZQuest? The one I am using is the one at the very top of ShardStorm. I can do it perfectly on 2.10, but how do you do it on my one? Oh and dont say "Its the same!", because it isnt. It isnt working on mine but when I do it the EXACT same way on 2.10, it works.

Din
10-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Do you mean cave mini-dungeon or a cave like in Z1?

If you mean a regular cave, then you should just put a cave screen in screen 80, and put an item placement (for special item caves) and put A warp return right on the area you want Link to be when he enters.

Or did you mean a cave mini-dungeon? If that's so, just treat it like a regular dungeon, except make it an "interior" type, disable "Guys are in caves only" and consider the fact that there is no invisible barrier like in regular dungeons where Link can't attack or get hit. A cave mini-dungeon is essentially an overworld with the characteristics of dungeons.

PompeyLegend08
10-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Just a one screen cave to have the sword (Like where the first one is on LoZ), can you give the EXACT steps on how to link it back and forth, for it to have a 'Guy', to have a message and an item. Thanks!

Din
10-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Sure! Well, in order of steps, here's what I can give you.

Step 1: On Screen 80, make wall and ground tiles, just like you would any screen.

Step 2: Now, select the blue rupee from the toolbar, and place it where the special item you pick up in a cave is.

Step 3: Now select the first blue square on a seperate page on the toolbar, and place it where you want Link to be when he enters the cave.

Step 4: Now you have a fully functional cave! Note that you don't have to link to the cave, as it automatically does that as long as "Cave/Item Cellar" is selected from tile warp. Now, make sure that you have "Guys Appear in Caves/Item Cellars" checked under DMaps. All you need to do is select the guy (hotkey G) for each screen that you want to have a link to a cave. Now select the string you want him to say (hotkey S) when you enter the cave. Now choose the room type (hotkey R) that will take effect when you enter the cave. Some will have the option under Room->Catch All. Just hit "A" to trigger this, and choose the special property for the room type. Try it out! Please note that to set all of these, don't put the properties on the cave, but on the overworld screen that goes to the cave.

Example: JoetheGuy wants to put a cave accessed from 00. He made the cave on screen 80 already, he just needs to make the properties. On screen 00, he puts the guy as "Abei" and makes the room type "Special Item". Then he types "Link, take this to help you on your journey" in the String Editor. Then he selects that string from Room->Strings. Now he goes to Room->Special Item (only accessible once Special Item is selected under Room Type. Before it will just say Catch All. Now, from Room->Special Item, he chooses Wooden Sword. Now he chooses Warp Return A to return to the entrance. He plays it, and he enters the cave where the Old Man says "Link, take this to help you on your journey" and he takes the Wooden Sword. Afterwards, he vanishes, and Joe leaves the cave, and returns to the entrance.

DigiPro31279
10-21-2008, 01:40 AM
just reading this thread just helped me realize what I was doing wrong in the LOST I was doing for the AGN EXPO for the summer. explains why people were having trouble getting items in caves. Maybe I can fix it and continue working on it now.