PDA

View Full Version : The Japan Dedication

g.iaroos
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0PaPpmGa8

Japaneses really amaze me with their dedication to accomplish such things sometimes.

MasterSwordUltima
10-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I like how they busted out Wily's Castle theme, and then later near the end, I could've sworn I heard the olde FF hymn. Apparently Super Mario World hacks are cool nowadays in japan.

I still like that one video (not a hack though) where its just video game characters going through levels and they all clash together, with a choir singing Wily's Castle. There were lots of Zangeif's flying, and Megaman died a lot.

g.iaroos
10-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, most of the tunes are anime songs from Japan but there are a few VG tunes busted in. MM2 Wily's Castle, the main FF theme (the one from the bridges at the beginning of FF1 and FF4) ... there's even a part of the forest song (Geno's Woods??) of Mario RPG somewhere at the beginning.

Modus Ponens
10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I recognized the Super Mario RPG woods theme, Wily's Castle from Mega Man II, the Super Mario World main theme, the Final Fantasy main theme, and the traditional Japanese folk song Sakura Sakura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakura_Sakura) at the very end.

Anyway HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Video games are rad.

Anthus
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Is it bad that I noticed the Lucky Star theme song towards the middle :D

Anyway, this is pretty cool. I wonder how long this took them to make.

Pryme8
10-17-2008, 12:25 AM
I dont get it... is that a really level and someone really playing it?

Revfan9
10-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Someone made a modification of the game's data to create a custom level, which they then used to play through with a custom-tailored emulator movie so that the sound effects in the level would synch up with the background music (Which they did better in some parts than in others...)

Is it bad that I noticed the Lucky Star theme song towards the middle :D

Anyway, this is pretty cool. I wonder how long this took them to make.

No, the first time I watched it I was like "OMG WTF awesomez", there's nothing wrong with that at all :3

There are several of these videos around, and this isn't my first time seeing this particular one. I've never tried it myself, but depending on the creator's experience and free time, it'd probably take a couple of days (longer for their first video).

Modus Ponens
10-17-2008, 04:11 AM
I dont get it... is that a really level and someone really playing it?

Also note that no user input is required once the level begins; it's all conveyor belts and bouncy blocks and weird gusts of wind or however you want to explain it.

Revfan9
10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Mario does jump several times, so the input is needed for that. I've never done it, but a tool-assisted emulator movie appears to be the most probable to me.

MottZilla
10-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think Mario ever jumps. There are bouncy blocks that make him bounce up, not jump. But I didn't watch all the video.

g.iaroos
10-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure everything is just timed well and they just pressed start on the stage select and let it go.

Modus Ponens
10-17-2008, 04:10 PM
You'll notice that he only "jumps" when he touches certain blocks, and it doesn't make the jump sound effect.

Revfan9
10-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I could've sworn I'd heard the jump sound in there quite a few times, but maybe I'm just losing it.

ShadowTiger
10-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Somehow, this entire video is housing my favorite song(s) of the year. Does anyone happen to know what the song from between 1:45 to 2:30 is?

EDIT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2WQjqKpVM): <-- May be on to something.

Lemon
10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
I would really like to just play this straight forward. I know it defeats the point, but it would be awesome. I've seen these plenty of these before, most of which are great, but this is the only one I've been able to finish watching solely due to the great music.

Also the way I saw it, green & red egg blocks make Mario jump, grey stone blocks push him left or right.

MottZilla
10-17-2008, 09:18 PM
ShadowTiger, I think this video tells you what songs play in that video. http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=z8MGt3_19gU&fmt=18

It was a link in the description of the video. I clicked it to see what it was and that's what it seems to be.

AtmaWeapon
10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Didn't someone post this like 2 months ago?

MottZilla
10-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe, at the least a similar crazy video was posted. I wouldn't doubt more than one exists.

Anthus
10-18-2008, 01:00 AM
@ Revfan. Yeah, the Green Yoshi-egg blocks make him jump. Maybe the player jumps a fw times, but I doubt it.

@ MottZilla. That video with the songs helps a lot. I didn't realize there were so many MegaMan 2 songs in there.. That, and "Prince of Tennis" had a few.