PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit against God dropped.

AtmaWeapon
10-15-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/15/suing.god.ap/index.html

Linking then quoting's lame. The summary here is some Nebraska senator who's at the end of his term limit decided he was going to show the world that <insert whatever the devil he believes here> is better than Christianity by tying up our nation's legal system with a frivolous lawsuit against God.

The lawsuit charged God with terrorism, causing the death of millions, and inspiring fear in the masses. Honestly I can't argue that the accused seems rather guilty. However, for the defendant to go on trial He has to be served papers, and His unlisted home address has caused a problem. Thus, the judge threw the lawsuit out.

The senator, being of sound mind, is appealing and further keeping our court system busy for this important trial by arguing that if the court ackowledges God's existence, then they agree he is omniscient and has no need to be served papers since he already knows of the trial.

I can understand crazy lawsuits to make a point. The Congressman claims than the point of the trial is to prove that everyone should have access to court regardless of social status. Either congressmen make far less money than I believe or he is challenging the fact that God, as the almighty creator, technically owns all property in the entire universe.

Regardless, this is your tax dollars being put to work to further the cause of... something I guess.

Beldaran
10-15-2008, 10:46 PM
I think it's great. It shows how stupid the idea of god is simply by treating him as though he were real.

Din
10-15-2008, 11:08 PM
All I can say is "What the-?"
This is just plain weird. It's like trying to send the sky to jail because it rained. Makes no sense.

Modus Ponens
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
He thinks he found a loophole: "The court itself acknowledges the existence of God. A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God's omniscience. Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit." The problem with this "loophole" is that the court's "acknowledgment" of the existence of God does not imply recognition of God's omniscience; the court could believe that God is not omniscient. Just because you believe in God doesn't mean you believe everything everyone else says about God.

goKi
10-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Uh. Years ago there was a movie made on this exact concept. Not exactly a new and creative idea.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

goKi
10-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Double post... My internet connection is terrible.

AtmaWeapon
10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I think it's great. It shows how stupid the idea of god is simply by treating him as though he were real.OK hotshot. Let's discuss how this highlights the stupidity of God's existence as opposed to the stupidity of using taxpayer resources to play religious games (keep in mind that the state has no business endorsing or combating religion according to the Constitution).

So the judge decides that the trial can go on. Court date comes, God doesn't show. Well, maybe he's omnipresent so we'll just let the trial happen anyway. God takes the stand to testify. 30 minutes of silence. With no defense, God is charged a trillion dollars and 4 billion years in prison.

The end result is a state-appointed lawyer gets paid lots of tax money for "defending" God. A state senator spends hours in a courtroom "accusing" God when he could have been working on lawmaking. A judge is making money off of taxpayers by presiding over the case. Whether or not God exists, it's impossible to extract the money or keep him in a prison.

Wouldn't it be a better use of everyone's time to, I don't know, protest and make it public that you don't like the concept of Christianity? That doesn't cost taxpayer dollars. I'm curious if this opens the senator to a possible suit for violating the notion of separation of church and state. The government is not a tool to be used for religious purposes.

It's analogous to if I filed a lawsuit against King Arthur for abandoning the throne. He's obviously still alive and in Avalon, so I say it's a fair trial!

Archibaldo
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Technically God can't be sued due to the fact, that Church and State are to be kept separate. So really, no religion of any sort can be mentioned in the court room.

But, wasting lots of money seems to be quite a common fad these days.

MasterSwordUltima
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Regardless, this is your tax dollars being put to work to further the cause of... something I guess.

Nope. I live in Pennsylvania.

Beldaran
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
God probably has diplomatic immunity anyway.

BlissUnknown
10-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I think it's great. It shows how stupid the idea of god is simply by treating him as though he were real.

:glare:

God is the ultimate power. Us mere humans need to humble ourselves more. What kind of person has the audacity to sue the ultimate hand that feeds him, the source of his life, the source of all his countless blessings....

We are all reprimanded in some way because we are sinners. Regardless of how "good" we think we all are, the "good" and the "bad" are punished alike... We should all take responsibility for the demise of this world -- because we all contribute to it, one way or another...

Pryme8
10-17-2008, 12:10 AM
God is real... its just a word we put to things we dont understand...

plus shouldn't this be in the think tank?

BlissUnknown
10-17-2008, 12:15 AM
God is real... its just a word we put to things we dont understand...

plus shouldn't this be in the think tank?

How can God be real, yet is only a word?

Yes, this topic would be more fitting for the think tank.

By the way, Pryme8, your name reminds me of the word "permeate." :laughing:

Pryme8
10-17-2008, 12:21 AM
the word god is what we use to explain something that we can never fully grasp...
we just know of it in theory so we assigned a word to it/him/her

BlissUnknown
10-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Okay, I see where you're getting at. But I can't help but include that the word "God" isn't just any random word that was assigned to what we cannot explain.

The word "God" has an origin (I'm sure it goes back a LOOOOONG ways) and has come to be exclusively associated with the Supreme Being when it's used in its true sense.

Pryme8
10-17-2008, 12:34 AM
yea... the supreme something... might not even be a being

aces2022
10-17-2008, 04:49 AM
[QUOTE=BlissUnknown;1196195]:glare:
the "good" and the "bad" are punished alike... QUOTE]

No they are not.

BlissUnknown
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=BlissUnknown;1196195]:glare:
the "good" and the "bad" are punished alike... QUOTE]

No they are not.

Aces, I wasn't specific enough. I should have said "the 'good' and the 'bad' are punished alike in this world."

But why do you think that the "good" and the "bad" are not punished alike?

***By the word "alike," I mean to say that everyone (good and bad) is reprimanded in some way (even though the reprimands may come in different forms and some may be harsher than others).

AtmaWeapon
10-17-2008, 11:03 PM
God probably has diplomatic immunity anyway.Hahahaha well met!

aces2022
10-18-2008, 10:50 PM
That's all I meant Miss Bliss, that some reprimands may be harsher than others.

Banon
10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if God was brought in as a witness. Would he/she/it have to swear on the Bible? Seems like that would be a little weird. (Okay, maybe not a little)

That also brings up the irrelevant question of if the state, and the church are supposed to be kept separate, why do we swear on the Bible?

Pryme8
10-28-2008, 11:13 AM
because we are hypocrites and that's a old school practice...

Ive never had to do it when I went to court, they just ask you to tell the truth under purgery of the law now.

they might do it in some country bumkin part of the states now... but i doubt it.

and anyways probably cause majority is christian?

SUCCESSOR
11-06-2008, 09:49 AM
:glare:

God is the ultimate power. Us mere humans need to humble ourselves more. What kind of person has the audacity to sue the ultimate hand that feeds him, the source of his life, the source of all his countless blessings....

We are all reprimanded in some way because we are sinners. Regardless of how "good" we think we all are, the "good" and the "bad" are punished alike... We should all take responsibility for the demise of this world -- because we all contribute to it, one way or another...

I really hate you. The sad part is you think you are making sense don't you? Nothing pisses me off worse than this church babble.

If your god is the ultimate power (by this I assume you believe him omnipotent) than he is the cause/source/intent of ALL things good AND EVIL. Making us in your views simply toys for him to torture. Really, how can one be judged by god when he is simply enacting god's will? That's seriously fucked. You are twisted.

EDIt:: Wow this hasn't been posted in for a week. I need to stop posting when I get off work half asleep. And feel free to comment on how I should stop posting entirely it makes me all warm and fuzzy.

ON TOPIC: Personally, I find it to be a hilarious waste of taxpayer money.

Pryme8
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
ON TOPIC: Personally, I find it to be a hilarious waste of taxpayer money.

I concur with that!