PDA

View Full Version : Job Get!

Modus Ponens
10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
For the longest time now, I've been steadily unemployed. One might say it has been by my own choice, and one might be correct in saying so. Rather than generating any source of income, I've been slowly sucking away at my savings and wasting most of my time. But no longer! Starting... soon, I will be a Seasonal Associate at Brookstone in the nearby Northgate Mall. Finally I will be able to look at myself in the mirror and think, here is a guy who works for a living. Granted, it's "seasonal," so come January my job will vanish, but the guy who hired me said he's planning on keeping on more than half of the seasonal help as full employees, and I think I can do a good enough job to prove myself and get chosen as one of them.

So, there we are. I now join the ranks of all ye who get up in the morning and go to work, and I'm proud to do so.

Cloral
10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Good for you. Jobs have been harder and harder to come by lately, so its good to know you've found employment.

Shazza Dani
10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Congrats. I'm also unemployed and burning away my savings; I need to be looking for a job too.

Archibaldo
10-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Ditto. I worked my ass off all summer and I decided to focus on my studies rather than get a job for my last semester.

AlphaDawg
10-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah I've been in the same unemployed boat for about a year now too. I've been selling some Magic: The Gathering cards on eBay to make a few bucks, but I need to find some steady work. I'll probably start looking tomorrow, maybe Friday, maybe after the World Series, I dunno...

Zaphod Q. IX
10-16-2008, 01:23 AM
lol.
Far from being unemployed, I work 40 hours a week...and I'm looking for a second job. I wish I could afford to take some time off, and live off of savings.

Good luck with the new job.
:thumbsup:

Prrkitty
10-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Congrats hon... may you enjoy the job even if it might only be temporary.

Modus Ponens
10-16-2008, 02:12 AM
I figure if January rolls around and they don't want to keep me on, at least I'll have gotten a couple of months of retail experience (and a crazy couple of months they'll be) to put on my resumé, which should make getting the next job a lot easier.

g.iaroos
10-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah, retail experience is always a big plus. If you leave in good conditions with your employers, you really have something to back you up, considering over 50% of the jobs available today are to work with public.

Modus Ponens
10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
The guy who hired me said, "You know how every citizen in some countries has to spend a year in the military? Well I think that every citizen in America should have to spend a year working retail." I'm sure that people who rush in to buy their brat nephew some violent video game on Christmas Eve would be a lot less likely to be assholes to the store employees if at some point in their lives they'd been on the other side of the counter.

aces2022
10-17-2008, 05:07 AM
People still have enough to put into savings!? There is STILL hope.

Modus Ponens
10-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Well... I kinda had the last of the savings. Sorry, everyone. But at least I spent it on really tasty fruit snacks! And, like, a lot of them. They were great.

aces2022
10-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I wemember wen my mawmy could only afford fruit roll ups. I wanted gushers and fruit by the foot.

Modus Ponens
10-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Dude, I fuckin love Fruit Roll-Ups. I want some right now. They're so Goddamn good. Man.