PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong?

PompeyLegend08
10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I am using Zelda Quest 2.11 Beta and am trying to make a cave which is the stairs that go down. This is what I am doing:

Adding a 'Guy'.
Then add a room type (keep in mind I am doing this in the room before the cave) as Special Item.
Then I add a message string.
Then I do a tile warp with Entrance/Exit, Screen 80 (The bottom room) and click Ok.
I also put down Links Starting area, and the cave exit area.

What am I doing wrong, or if its easier, can you just give me a step by step tutorial to make a cave (2.11 BETA!)!

ShadowTiger
10-14-2008, 05:30 PM
For Overworld type Dmaps, Screen 80 is indeed initiated / configured on the screen ultimately leading to it. You do set the Guy, Room Type (Which will in such a case be special item.) and the Special Item.

No warp coordinates are needed though. Just Put the Stair or Cave (Up or down, doesn't matter.) combo wherever, (And Link's exit position.) Just leave it as the default warp type, and it should work.

Having an Overworld as level 0 will help with that though.

Which 2.11 Beta are you using, BTW? The ones generally found on shardstorm.com are the 2.5 Alphas, FYI.

What's the Dmap type?

PompeyLegend08
10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes it is the top one of ShardStorm, and its DMAP 1.

ShadowTiger
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Er .. Not the Dmap number. The Dmap tyoe, (Upper right of the first tab.) such as Overworld, Dungeon, Cave, BS Overworld, etc. Then you have the level number, in the general lower right of the first tab of the Dmap editor.

PompeyLegend08
10-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh, Its overworld

ShadowTiger
10-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Try this: Go to Quest -> Dmaps -> [Flags Tab] and see which of those are checked. Is the Fifth checkbox from the top checked or unchecked?

Otherwise, might have to give over an unpassworded version of your quest. (You can make a copy of it and delete everything else from it if you want.)

PompeyLegend08
10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Okay, its checked. Why do I keep starting up on the top left corner?

ShadowTiger
10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Uncheck it.

Anyway, you have to be more specific with your questions. Your phrase "Links starts" can indicate Link's position on the map, or Link's position on the screen on the map.

For the first: look at This (http://users.sephiroth.ws/ZCUTutorials/1basic/CombosAndPalettesExplained/1MainZQuestScreenLabelled1.GIF) image. When you can see that, (Or at least that screen.) Press Pageup or Pagedown until you see a panel with four blue warp things. Click on one or all of them and place them wherever you want Link to start on the screen.

For the screen on the map, that's done via setting the starting screen in the Dmap editor's "Continue" field.

PompeyLegend08
10-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Done.
Done.
Done.

Yup. But it is still not working properly.
Now, it starts on my screen that DID have grass and a house, but the screen is is black, and I start in the top-left of the screen, the straight away Link goes down stairs and I appear at the top-left of a cave. I have set the blue appear tile things (in the bottom) to the middle but it isnt working.

=== EDIT ===
Oh, also that screen is grey insted of brown (like in the editor) and is the same shape. It also has 4 keese, but in the editor, after clicking Screen -> Enemies, there isnt any there.

Its if the stairs are taking me to somewhere I dont even have.

ShadowTiger
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Okay; also know that there is a "Dmap Slider" in the first tab of the Dmap editor which essentially provides the Dmap with its X Coordinate range across the Dmap if it's not an Overworld type Dmap. The slider lets it know if it goes from 0,0-7 (7 being the normal maximum vertical range of the map.) to 8,0-7 or from 8,7 to 16,7 or anywhere in between. Overworlds automatically go from 0,8 to 16,8.

If that didn't make any sense, here's a li'l ASCII art image.

The 1s are just the left half of the map and the 2s are the right half. Maps are NOT naturally divided like that. I just did that to make it easier to see. It's just one long undivided map sixteen screens wide, and eight screens deep.

The Dmap slider lets you see which of those 16 horizontal screens your 8x8 Dmap will occupy if it's not an Overworld. That's what the bold portions of that ASCII image represent.

After reading all that, I hope you'll get to understand just a little bit more of how warps work in ZC. You can tell a warp to take you somewhere, but in fact it's been offset by that, since the upper left corner of the Dmap will be 0,0 regardless of its coordinates on the actual map itself. So you could tell it to go to screen 1,E (Based on the map.) but in fact end up on screen 2,1 or something. Keep that in mind and adjust accordingly, and make religious use of the GO button in the tile and side warp setup.

If that doesn't help, then this is just becoming a madhouse. :p lol, Please post the unpassworded quest file and directions to the offending screens in coordinates and map numbers please.