PDA

View Full Version : Hi, im new to ZC

Gamebones
10-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone, i just discovered ZC, and thought it looked like alot of fun. Iv messed around with different game creators over the years. (rpgmaker, mugen, Fightermaker, ect.) and the idea of being able to create my own zelda quests is just too cool to ignore.

Well i downloaded ZC and ran into a problem right away. and please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but i looked around the forum to try to find an answer but havent found one, and im desperate to get started on learning the ropes of the program so i can make my own zelda adventures.

Anyhoo, i downloaded, Zelda Classic v2.10 - Windows Version, and installed it, but when i try to run the program, it just crashes right away. My operating system is WinXP pro, with SP3 installed. I tried running the exe in Win98 compatiblility mode, but that didnt seem to do the trick, and i downloaded the Support Archive for 2.10 - Windows, and tried that but that didnt do it either.

So if any of you ZC experts could help me get this cool little program running so i can get started i would be really gratefull. This is probably more information than you care to know, but i was recently diagnosed with 3 brain tumors, so im currently sitting at home with not a thing to do, and the idea of creating my own zelda adventures would be a wonderfull way to pass the time..

I appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

Thanks for your time. :)

Gamebones
10-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok i found out that it will run in windowed mode, which is fine for me. So im gonna start hunting down tutorials so i can learn how to use the editor, which looks pretty complicated..

s2dve
10-11-2008, 09:26 AM
If your wanting to learn the basics, there are some tutorials on Youtube that are very helpful. They are made in the 1.92 version using the classic tile set.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Zquest+tutorials&search_type=&aq=f

Gamebones
10-11-2008, 04:26 PM
yeah i ran across those this morning, they are really helpfull, although im having trouble getting the entrance right to my first dungeon.. Whenever i enter the dungeon, link doesnt start in the first room, but some other one, so im tryin to figure out what i did wrong.. I think ill just erase the dungeon and start over.

Thanks for the help though, i really apreciate it. Once i get the basics down im gonna give some better graphics a try. Oh and i downgraded to 1.92, it seems to work better than the first one i tried. That one was very laggy, and hard to control the mouse when navigating menus and such.

SpykStorm
10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the help though, i really apreciate it. Once i get the basics down im gonna give some better graphics a try. Oh and i downgraded to 1.92, it seems to work better than the first one i tried. That one was very laggy, and hard to control the mouse when navigating menus and such.

You could try 2.10.2 (http://www.zeldaclassic.com/files/zc2102w.zip)

Why isn't that version on the downloads page? :tongue:

Gamebones
10-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Quick question.. I wanted to use a different set of graphics, but keep them as close to the original Zelda style as possible. and i found the "BS Zelda Tiles" at PureZC.

http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=10

And they seemed perfect for what i wanted to work with. But i ran into a problem, when making a dungeon, and using a template to make rooms, and when placing doors, it doesnt used the correct graphics.. Like when i place a template for the dungeon room, it places the room just fine, but in the 4 spots where the doors would be, it has the wrong graphics. and when i place a door, it also uses the wrong graphics. I can fix the room by drawing over the incorrect graphics, but i read in the tutorial that you shouldent "draw" doors, or they wont work, so im not sure what to do.. Is the tileset just buggy? Or am i loading the tileset incorrectly so its not working the way it should.. I wasent sure how to load a tileset, so i just when to "open" and chose the tileset, which loaded it. and it also had the overworld and a bunch of dungeons (copies of the original zelda) already drawn in, so i just deleted everything and started drawing my own.. Or do i have to load the tileset in a different way in order to use it correctly?

Thanks for any help..

Gamebones
10-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Well i completed my first dungeon, and i couldent believe it, but everything worked, lol.. I did the tutorial dungeon first to practise, then deleted it and designed my own. I drew it on paper first, with what would be in what rooms and such, then went to town and i was so proud when i picked up the triforce and warped back to the entrance.. Not bad for only two days of using this program. I wish i would have discovered it a long time ago, this is really fun.

Thanks for the help.

SpykStorm
10-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Congratulations on your first ZC dungeon! :)

Gamebones
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks alot man, im currently working on dungeon number 2 now.. hehe.

Heres a quick question that iv been trying to figure out.. In my boss room, i wanna make the door to the triforce peice to be a closed door, that will open once the boss is defeated. Currently i have it set up so that after killing the boss, a block becomes movable that opens the door, but id rather the door just open once the boss is dead. Could you tell me how to set that up.. None of the tutorials iv read seem too mention that.. If its possible i mean.

Shazza Dani
10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Just make the door a Shutter. Go to "Tools->Doors", I think.

The_Amaster
10-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Yup. The game assumes that unless you say otherwise, with pushblocks or something, you want shutters to open when enemies on screen are killed.

Gamebones
10-12-2008, 09:23 PM
oh ok.. so thats how those work.. Thanks a bunch guys.