PDA

View Full Version : The Economy

The Desperado
10-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I had the weirdest experience at Walmart today. I know the economy is basically going to shit, but this was the first time that I ever saw some sort of physical manifestation of the fear that people have right now.

So I'm at Walmart, just buying my normal shit and looking into some camping stuff cause a friend and I want to do some snow camping this winter. First i noticed as i walked by the battery thingy by the cash registers and their were no batteries. No batteries AT ALL! Then i got to the camping stuff, no flashlights, lanterns, warmers, propane stoves, etc. The place had been raided. So I went to the groceries cause my interest was peaked by now. Sure enough, almost all of their canned goods were gone.

Are people really that scared? Im worried about the economy and stuff, but I think its a little too early for people to be hoarding stuff.

Anyone else notice stuff like this going on?

moocow
10-10-2008, 07:26 AM
No, I haven't noticed it at all. It does make me think back to yesterday, when one of my bosses told a customer that America is going to shit because we're about to have a "colored" president so we all need to start buying our canned goods.

Weird.

rock_nog
10-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Christ, I'd say glad to see that ignorance and intolerance is alive and well, but I'm afraid that'd be an insult to ignorant people.

Anyway, no, I haven't really noticed anything specifically. Well, except for our local liquor store has signs posted saying "Due to supplier increases, beer prices will be going up." One of the most depressing signs I've ever read, though it might not necessarily be tied to the economy.

Come to think of it, though, there are some things I've noticed that aren't a result of this immediate meltdown. For instance, I recently saw that Kraft Mac and Cheese (small box), costs $1.00, and I remember when I was a kid you could get it for $.33 to $.50. The really crazy thing is, even the store brand was like $.70.

Nicholas Steel
10-10-2008, 10:13 AM
duh, 10 or so years ago lollies cost 1 cent here, 270gram cadbury blocks cost 2$ etc. now all the lollies are 50~cents and chocalate 250grams is 4.50$

Lilith
10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
---

Pryme8
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
if the world goes to shit, and you feel you need to hoard stuff from the old world to survive, you are shit out of luck when push comes to shove... cause I'm gonna either kill you for your supplies, or not even worry about dumb asses like them, cause ill be fishing and hunting for my food...

I dont need no electricity either... fuck being modern, Ive lived on a mountain for months and months at a time with nothing but a gun, and a couple good friends around (yea there was a cabin {that we built}) but it was basically homesteading roughing it hard core... So i don't understand hysteria like that

Modus Ponens
10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
No, I haven't noticed it at all. It does make me think back to yesterday, when one of my bosses told a customer that America is going to shit because we're about to have a "colored" president so we all need to start buying our canned goods.

Weird.

And you say you're getting a new job? Whatever for?

Archibaldo
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Haven't noticed anything like that. Then again, I live in Canada. Actually, gas prices dropped about 30 cents this week. It's awesome.

Lilith
10-10-2008, 03:34 PM
---

aces2022
10-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Might not have noticed it cost of living but I am going to get a pay increase next year. When the military pay goes up you know there's trouble.

moocow
10-11-2008, 07:34 AM
And you say you're getting a new job? Whatever for?

Because the people I worked for are fucking crazy.

The_Amaster
10-11-2008, 10:00 AM
...gas all over my city is dropping to under 3 bucks. Not exactly what I would have expected, but it's pretty sweet.

Modus Ponens
10-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Because the people I worked for are fucking crazy.

As was evidenced by your previous post which I quoted. I'm sorry, I tried to make the sarcasm clear without being totally overt; I guess it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

rock_nog
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Might not have noticed it cost of living but I am going to get a pay increase next year. When the military pay goes up you know there's trouble.
Wow, that's... depressing. Understandable, of course, but I've always been of the opinion that anyone who serves in the military should be able to come back home and live like royalty - I just feel like you serve in the military, you've earned it.

moocow
10-11-2008, 03:43 PM
As was evidenced by your previous post which I quoted. I'm sorry, I tried to make the sarcasm clear without being totally overt; I guess it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

No no, you did a fine job with the sarcasm. I was just trying to make my point very very clear lol.

phattonez
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Wow, that's... depressing. Understandable, of course, but I've always been of the opinion that anyone who serves in the military should be able to come back home and live like royalty - I just feel like you serve in the military, you've earned it.

They definitely should, but in California now they want to pay for it with a bond. I'm fine with raising taxes for veterans, but damn it, I don't want my kids to pay for my expenses of today.

I don't get it. Whenever the government wants to raise spending, it's with bonds now. No wonder out government is in debt.

rock_nog
10-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Play Simcity, and you'll understand. Whenever I play, I have the problem of my citizens constantly shrieking about the tax rates, but at the same time, they want me to provide roads, fire/police/hospital services, etc. Of course, these things are expensive, but my people never seem to get the fact that if I lower taxes like they want, I won't have the money necessary to provide those services. Sometimes, I just get so annoyed that I lower the taxes for them, and then laugh as the city's infrastructure falls apart. Serves 'em right, the greedy little bastards.