PDA

View Full Version : They tried to get me to reenlist...fuck tha--did you say Naples Italy?

Brasel
10-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah, so along my Reenlistment NCO's quest to get me to sign on to another couple years of Army bullshit...he spoke of an offer that sounds mighty interesting.

3 years, $10,000, one 6 month deployment...and stationed at a NATO unit in Naples, Italy.

I'll get to bring my wife, and with all the time off the Army is constantly giving you, think of all the travel opportunities. I've been wanting to tour Europe since I was a kid learning about Geography. This is a really good opportunity I think...but man...the Army? I just don't know what to do. I really want to get out, but my entire Army experience is in this one unit. I've never gotten to be stationed anywhere else. My unit used to kick ass. I mean literally. We were a force to be reckoned with. Of course I wasn't really part of that part of it, but it was really neat being a little part of a really kick ass unit. Now, since we've gotten our current commander, we've sissified. We're all about winning hearts and minds. Sounds all well and good, but it isn't. THAT is a story for another time though. Point is, leadership in this unit blows ass and its really making this unit suck. Every other person I've talked to thats been somewhere else in the Army says its the worst unit they've ever been in. But as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. So that being said, the Army might still have something else to offer me. Maybe its just the bitter taste in my mouth from this screwed up unit that makes me hate being in the army so bad. I might really love being at another unit...but do I REALLY want to chance that...I'm not sure.

From what I hear, Naples is a really sweet gig. My mentor actually is stationed there right now. The guy who taught me most of what I know got orders for Naples after my last deployment. We still keep in touch and I'm waiting on word back from him on specifics of the unit. I do know one thing, he's still getting out of the army when his times up, but he's not moving back to the States. He's staying in Italy.

Yeah, moving along.

Oh, by the way...my wife is on board with the idea, but she said she's still willing to play the skeptic if I want her to.

Beldaran
10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
How do you know they won't station you in Italy, and then five days later be like, "Oh ooops lol we need you back in Iraq, pack yer shit."?

Icey
10-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, as far as things go, being stationed in Europe is pretty much the best you can get in the Army. I've had friends in Germany and Japan and they really loved it. But if you really are serious about getting out, and getting a career going, you might wanna weight it against that. I'm not really sure what advice to give, but I will say that being stationed in Europe will be an infinitely better experience than being in Iraq.

Also what Beldaran said, is there some possibility they will make you go back? or give you extended tours of duty... except not in Europe? That would blow big time.

Russ
10-03-2008, 03:54 PM
As long as there's no chance of them pulling you back to Iraq, I'd say go for it! Naples is a lovely place. Beautiful landscape, nice climate, and you'll get to be with your wife. Why not go?

rock_nog
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I dunno... It sounds like a sweet deal, but I'd be wary of them yanking you back to Iraq or some shit like that. Besides, you sound like you could really use some distance between yourself and your current situation, which makes me want to suggest just getting the hell out and into civilian life.

Brasel
10-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, I can't say that there isn't any chance that I would be completely safe from deployment. Its always a danger of being in the army. Nice thing is, my buddy and mentor who's stationed there now is doing three years there and he's only required to do one six month tour, which he already did. After that, he isn't required to do any other kind of deployment. As far as I know, other than the six months, I'm safe. Six months in Iraq won't be shit to me or my wife. Realize...in like, five days I'll have been gone for an entire year.

The Desperado
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I say screw the army. You've done your duty and stood up for this country more than what most civilians have done. You deserve to come home and enjoy the rest of your life.

Pryme8
10-03-2008, 04:33 PM
do it! I support all our troops, and your important, your an NCO~!

Archibaldo
10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Take it. Then stay in Italy for the rest of your life. It's a once in a life time opportunity. 2 years isn't that long when you're young. Plus if you don't get deployed it must have to be a really easy gig, considering there are no wars in Italy at the moment.

AlexMax
10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
How do you know they won't station you in Italy, and then five days later be like, "Oh ooops lol we need you back in Iraq, pack yer shit."?

This is totally going to happen. Ask around and google before committing to something like this.

Pryme8
10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
wow google what the military is gonna do... most uniformed statement i have heard you say...

AlexMax
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Important question, does it come with an iPhone?

http://xs232.xs.to/xs232/08405/6395.jpg

Beldaran
10-04-2008, 12:08 AM
wow google what the military is gonna do... most uniformed statement i have heard you say...

It can be very productive to search for testimonies of current and former members of the military and see what their experiences have been. Google is an excellent tool for this.

Maybe it is not Alexmax who is "uniformed". :rolleyes:

Trevelyan_06
10-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Well Tony, I pretty much think the same thing as the others do. It's a wonderful opportunity, but what's to stop the army from yanking you back to Iraq? Sure there are soldiers over there now that have got a sweet gig in Italy, but I'd check to see what their MOS is and if it's in high demand. Also, I checked to see if your MOS is in high demand, if it is then I'd think there is a good chance that they'd yank you back to Iraq no matter what they promised.

If you're going to do it, it'd be a nice way to get to see Europe. You could maybe become a sergeant if you wanted, and you'd have Tera with you. We'd all miss you here, but hell we miss you now. Besides, you won't be gone forever.

On the other hand, when has the army kept all it's promises to you? I mean, these are the guys that have done some shitty shit to you like keeping you extra. I don't think that it's just your unit that makes you not like the army, but I'm not there so I can't say with absolute certainty. Another thing is the career issue. You'll be putting both yours and Tera's off for awhile. Unless she can get a teaching career over there.

Bottom line, if I was you I wouldn't take it simply because I trust the army about as far as I can throw them. I wouldn't want to put my career off for another two years unless I planned on gaining some rank in the army. Living in Europe would be awesome, but I'd want it to be on my terms, and not have to constantly be worried that I was going to get shipped off somewhere and have my wife stuck in a foreign country where she not only doesn't know anyone but it isn't easy for her to get back home for visits.

However, I'm not you. I don't want you not to go because of me man. If you wanna talk some about it, you can send me an email. Or not. I know it's a big decision, and I'm just trying to help you out man. Really, the best case is that you do EXACTLY what it is YOU and TERA want to do, don't worry about everyone else.

Brasel
10-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks guys. I just got an email back from my good buddy who is in Naples now.
This is what he had to say (he hated the army when he was stationed with me):

I think it's great but a lot of people don't like it, it all depends
on you. I would say to jump on the chance. I get out in 12 months but
I am still considering the possibility to extend here for two more
years.

Here's the good side:

-no more 12 - 15 month deployments, EVER!

-no more Iraq

-when you are TDY you can make a lot of money (I will be making around
$8000.00 for being in Spain for two months)

-you will have a lot of chances to go around Europe (so far I have
been to Germany, The Netherlands (Holland), Belgium, Denmark, Spain,
France and all while being TDY.

-your pay will increase a lot! I get paid around twice as much as I
did in Ft. Stewart. My total entitlements for this month was $6735.59
(it is more when the Euro is stronger).

On the negative side:

-you will be TDY a lot, about 4 times a year, but not for more than 2
months so will have plenty of time to spend with your wife

-there is a chance that you will deploy to Afghanistan (anywhere form
1 - 4 months maximum)

The great majority of the people who don't like it live at the Navy
base and hardly ever venture out. If they are offering this assignment
to you I would take it. E-mail me either way, good luck.
- Show quoted text -

Beldaran
10-04-2008, 02:18 AM
-you will be TDY a lot, about 4 times a year, but not for more than 2
months so will have plenty of time to spend with your wife

4 times a year for 2 months = gone 8 months a year. How is that considered "plenty of time with the wife"?

-there is a chance that you will deploy to Afghanistan (anywhere form
1 - 4 months maximum)

Deal breaker. Why would you risk going there? Blech.

aces2022
10-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Ya Afghanistan is the new Iraq if your going anywhere, they are probably gonna send you there. I plan on getting out whenever my contract expires. I don't know how much different it is in the Army, but I don't get alot of free time here in Japan for any dedicated venturing.
If you do make this decision, ask yourself is it more about the money or the the place. Money is always good but I say you've done YOUR TIME for your home. Now the only thing left is to... go home. You should probably get out before they reel you back in. Like now.

The_Amaster
10-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Especially because Obama and Biden have said that if they win, they're going to really focus on Afghanistan, as the "home of terror".

Eh...I wouldn't risk it man....

moocow
10-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Tony, I hope whichever decision you make works in your favor. What matters most is yours and your wife's happiness. I'd talk more about it with her and with other people who have gone :) Personally, I'd say fuck the army and go home lol, but that's not up to me. Either way, I hope it works out for you :)

Brasel
10-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm still on the fence. Also, I still don't even have the assignment promised to me 100% yet. Its still up in the air if I'll even be able to get Naples. I'm not going to reenlist if I don't get Naples, and I'm still not completely convinced that I will be reenlisting even if I do get Naples. I don't know, I AM ready to be able to grow a beard, drink lots of beer, work in clothing that isn't an Army uniform.

About being plenty of time with my wife. We've already been separated a lot this time and I'm really looking forward to being with her again. I'm not ready to be separated for months at a time right now. On the other hand, you can ask Trev, Tera and I have mainly only had a long distance relationship. We haven't even lived together for an entire year yet. We're used to it. We both get along well without each other, but we have a blast with each other when we're together. I don't know. I'm still torn.

Beldaran
10-04-2008, 02:47 PM
You know what? Fuck the god damned army. Go get a real life and try living with your wife. Have a life of your own for a change.

Prrkitty
10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
It's good to get opinions... but honestly hon do what feels best for you and Tara. :)

It would be an opportunity that you might not be able to get if you get out. But... is it *that* important to yours and Tara's life together?

At this point, unless you can get what you want IN WRITING and GUARANTEED... I'd say get out and start your civilian life now.

I'm a military brat and knew enough about military life that I didn't want to be a military wife... the absences would have been the hardest part (deal breaker) for me.

Only you (and Tara) know whats best for the two of you... so don't be afraid to go after it.

Trevelyan_06
10-05-2008, 01:25 AM
It's good to get opinions... but honestly hon do what feels best for you and Tara. :)

It would be an opportunity that you might not be able to get if you get out. But... is it *that* important to yours and Tara's life together?

At this point, unless you can get what you want IN WRITING and GUARANTEED... I'd say get out and start your civilian life now.

I'm a military brat and knew enough about military life that I didn't want to be a military wife... the absences would have been the hardest part (deal breaker) for me.

Only you (and Tara) know whats best for the two of you... so don't be afraid to go after it.

This is exactly what I think on it too Prr. I just have one question..Who the fuck is tara? :tongue: I wouldn't give you hell if I didn't like you Prr.

Prrkitty
10-05-2008, 03:26 PM
This is exactly what I think on it too Prr. I just have one question..Who the fuck is tara? :tongue: I wouldn't give you hell if I didn't like you Prr.

Bad me! Tera!! Oh and youngun... BITE ME!! <lol>

Tony, you and your family stay in my prayers. I'm sure the road you're supposed to travel will be shown to you very soon :) Blessings hon...

Brasel
10-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't think I'm willing to be apart from the wife while she finishes up school. She's been getting drug around behind my career for a couple years now...I think its my turn to wait around on hers. :) I still haven't made a final decision, but man...I'm ready to be rid of the greens.

Din
10-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Honestly, I love Italy. However, if there's anything that needs to be finished where you are, then finish it before you go. Also, make sure you aren't in danger, such as Iraq, primary targets, too rough a job, etc. If you feel its right, then by all means go for it! :)

Lilith
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
---

Trevelyan_06
10-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't think I'm willing to be apart from the wife while she finishes up school. She's been getting drug around behind my career for a couple years now...I think its my turn to wait around on hers. :) I still haven't made a final decision, but man...I'm ready to be rid of the greens.

I think you should not go to Italy and instead help me in my evil plans. When you come home we'll take over St. Louis, then give you a bit of a rest. After about six months, or when we get tired of ruling St. Louis, or even worse if we drink up all the beer in St. Louis, we'll expand. I say we take over the various cities in order of the ones with the best breweries first.

However, because this plan will entail beer drinking we may have to take a detour to conquer a city with a snack factory in it. Perhaps a potato chip or peanut factory, I'll let you decide on that one.

Prrkitty
10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
How about Walla Walla, Washington for the onions? They make exquisite onions rings :)

edit: OH! and I forgot... Portland, Oregon for the micro breweries :)

Glitch
10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I support the troops 100% but fuck the united states military in their double talking ass.

Brasel
10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
How about Walla Walla, Washington for the onions? They make exquisite onions rings :)

edit: OH! and I forgot... Portland, Oregon for the micro breweries :)

I'm not so fond of onions or onion rings. I will have to say that we'll take over um...Hersey Pennsylvania for the chocolate bars, cause thats the only thing I can think of right now.

Trevelyan_06
10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not so fond of onions or onion rings. I will have to say that we'll take over um...Hersey Pennsylvania for the chocolate bars, cause thats the only thing I can think of right now.

Hmm, chocolate is nice, but I'm thinking we'd want to do that to give it to our wives. I mean, beer and chocolate? I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Prrkitty
10-08-2008, 03:10 PM
But... I like onion rings and not so much the beer. The chocolate makes my hot flashes worse. And I *really* wanna go with you two :)

Trevelyan_06
10-08-2008, 03:37 PM
But... I like onion rings and not so much the beer. The chocolate makes my hot flashes worse. And I *really* wanna go with you two :)

You shall be in charge of our Research and Development sector. Our massive consumption of both beer and fried products is going to require major breakthroughs in things like antacids, heartburn medicine, and unfortunatly diarehha medicine.

However, you will also have much more prestigous things to develop as well. Better beer delivery systems are going to need to be invented. I for one enjoy draft beers, and thing there is room for a mobile keg machine that hooks into a cigarette lighter on a car for camping/tailgating. More importantly though is cyro-genic storage for beer. Certain beers are seasonal only, but sometimes you'd like to enjoy them at different times of the year. With the cryo-genics you'll invent this will become a reality.

Also, someone is going to have to be the driver.

rock_nog
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
You might consider consulting with my sister - for years she has been working on a portable deep-frying system that could be installed in automobiles, in order to combat the problem of soggy, undercooked fast food french fries and also to make possible the goal of having corn dogs on road trips.

Trevelyan_06
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
You might consider consulting with my sister - for years she has been working on a portable deep-frying system that could be installed in automobiles, in order to combat the problem of soggy, undercooked fast food french fries and also to make possible the goal of having corn dogs on road trips.

It's an cool idea, but I'm going to have to say that the potential for hot grease spewed everywhere probably outweighs any potential advantages. Further, I can't imagine the mess if you spilt even the cold grease inside your car.

rock_nog
10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
That's a definite concern, and one of the primary factors holding back development of the technology. However, I believe the grease factor can be counterbalanced with an airlock-type seal on the container. You open the outer lid, and place the food into a basket in the outer storage chamber. Then, only when the outer lid is securely closed and sealed, the inner chamber door opens and the basket is slowly lowered into the actual deep-fryer. Obviously, there's still the risk of some sort of malfunction, but all new technology carries with it a certain degree of risk.

Trevelyan_06
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Obviously, there's still the risk of some sort of malfunction, but all new technology carries with it a certain degree of risk.

True, we can't hope to have breakthroughs in the critical area of fried food preparing without taking a few risks.

Prrkitty
10-08-2008, 09:10 PM
OK... I'll drive and rockbabe can be the cook ;)

I'd say use IV for a delivery system for the beer... but then you'd loose the ability to taste it as it goes down. So I'll keep thinkin :)

Pryme8
10-08-2008, 10:04 PM
at least they will have good food?

Dechipher
10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Here's what you have to think about:

1. Do I want to live in Naples, Italy? Hypothetically, Yes.
2. Do I want to remain in the military? No.
3. Is remaining in the military the only way to live in Naples, Italy? No.

So why do it? If you REALLY want to live in Naples, go for it man. But do it on your terms, so if you actually think it kind of sucks, you can leave in 6 months. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for your girl man. Get out while you can, and then live wherever you want to. A guy with your skills will be able to support himself and his family without worrying if he's going to get relocated or blown up.

Just my thought. Ultimately, my advice is do what will make you both happiest.

Pryme8
10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
we need strong soldiers like him though! hes gonna be the one out there making sure some idiot does not get himself blown up (if he is in combat).

NCO's ARE IMPORTANT!

Breaker
10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I say screw the army. You've done your duty and stood up for this country more than what most civilians have done. You deserve to come home and enjoy the rest of your life.

except that depending on our own situations and the circumstances surrounding them, being in the army, especially stationed someplace nice, might be a better deal than "coming home and enjoying the rest of our lives". Maybe life at home isn't so great, and I'm speaking of being in America right now, not his home life. If he gets to take his girl to Italy with him and they are offering money and travelling opportunities, it may be a good deal. He may even consider going career military if it turns out well.

There will always be a clause that they can reposition him elsewhere, or toss his ass back in Iraq, but considering the current political atmosphere and the very real chance that Obama may be our next president with promises of gradual troop withdrawal from Iraq, taking the deal might be a good idea. He can always quit the army when this next TOD is over if it turns sour.

I can't predict the future, so this is a choice that you're just going to have to make for yourself. You know more about being in the army than all of us combined, so deep down you should be able to figure out what best works for you and your lifestyle.

Edit: One thing to take into account, unless you have a degree, and even then there's no promises, the job market absolutely sucks. If you think you can quit the army and come home and start an awesome new career, you might want to throw that "pro" into your "con" list.

Icey
10-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Edit: One thing to take into account, unless you have a degree, and even then there's no promises, the job market absolutely sucks. If you think you can quit the army and come home and start an awesome new career, you might want to throw that "pro" into your "con" list.

Breaker makes a good point - there isn't a lot of hiring going on right now. My roommate has been looking for a job for four months...

Brasel
10-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Breaker usually makes good points. :P

Yeah, I've been weighing as many possibilities as I can. My dad is a human resource director of a major company in St. Louis. He's telling me unemployment isn't that bad back home in the St. Louis area right now. I don't know if it just hasn't hit us yet or whats going on, but its his job to know hiring trends and things and he keeps telling me that I shouldn't worry too much about the job market right now. But that just may be a concerned father wanting his son home.

Trevelyan_06
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Breaker usually makes good points. :P

Yeah, I've been weighing as many possibilities as I can. My dad is a human resource director of a major company in St. Louis. He's telling me unemployment isn't that bad back home in the St. Louis area right now. I don't know if it just hasn't hit us yet or whats going on, but its his job to know hiring trends and things and he keeps telling me that I shouldn't worry too much about the job market right now. But that just may be a concerned father wanting his son home.

I haven't see unemployment too rampant here in the area either Tony. Granted your dad has more a feel for this, but I'm not seeing a bunch of people on the side of the street begging or anything like that. I also see places hiring for everything from fast food to office workers. I don't think you'll have to hard a time getting a job here in the area.

aces2022
10-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Ohio runs on mainly manufacturing we are having a really hard time transfroming into something more prosperous. I think the only reason we're not so bad at the time is because we used to have just about literally everything in the country manufactured here at some point. some of the huge companies are still here. All I know is that if I had the chance to go back to a normal life where I have my freedom, I would definately do it.

Brasel
10-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, doesn't matter now seeing as they couldn't lock it in for me. Yeah, no cool opportunity. I'm getting out.

Prrkitty
10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
It's probably for the best hon. Sooner you start civilian life... the sooner you settle in and get things going.