'New' DS [Archive] - Armageddon Games Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 'New' DS

Kairyu
10-02-2008, 11:33 AM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915504p1.html
Personally, the closest thing to a highlight for me in that article was the mention of a new Wii Tales game, and I'm not even a huge Tales fan. Still, it mentions Nintendo's plans for a 'new' DS model and a few upcoming games. Oh, and that Nintendo still doesn't understand what people mean when they say they want to be able to use an external hard drive for the Wii.

thnx Mr. Iwata, big help there.

EDIT: ohshi, watched video. Some of those actually looked fun. Also Punch-Out.

Cloral
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, its about time they release a new Punch-Out. After the boxing game on Wii Sports, it seemed to be an obvious thing to do.

Daputti
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh, and that Nintendo still doesn't understand what people mean when they say they want to be able to use an external hard drive for the Wii.

Your brains have an update rate of 0. Go search for "Wii holographic memory".

Mr. 207
10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I really hate the idea of the new DS. It takes away the GBA slot, which I'm not a fan of. It features TWO cameras? Why do we need two cameras? Shit, I don't even need one camera on my hand held gaming device, I sure as hell don't need two.

Radium
10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
You need two cameras for two screens. And it'd be sweet to be able to see your friends face, and what they're looking at at the same time! :D

However, I have heard that the Nintendo DSi battery life (http://www.wiiplaygames.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-ds-i-battery-life/) isn't that great compared to the "old" DS Lite. That's probably due to the cameras, sd slot, etc.

MottZilla
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
The big pooper is that they killed the GBA slot. And the funny thing is that several DS games used the slot. I think that sucks.

The camera is neat even if its only 640x480. Also the built-in SD slot and playing music (even if it is AAC and not MP3) is also nice. Bigger LCDs and Brighter LCDs are nice. Slightly decreased battery life isn't a big deal, especially if it's actually the same if you say Brightness 3 on DS Lite is the same as DSi's Brightness 2 or something.

So it's a mixed bag. I want one though. Why? Cause it will be hacked and you'll be able to play DS games off the built-in SD slot. ;) Also I would like to and would use it as a portable music player even if music needs to be converted to AAC. Plus I still have the fat DS anyway.

About the Wii, they already announced that in Spring 09' a system update will allow storing things on the SD card to expand storage. Meaning that presumably WiiWare and Virtual Console downloads will be playable off the SD card.

Radium
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
The camera is neat even if its only 640x480.

Well, I think the focus for this camera is going to be video that plays back on the DS screens themselves which only have a resolution of 256 x 192.

rock_nog
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
My question is, what's taking Nintendo so damn long on the storage? I mean, okay, so they finally have a solution, which is to use SD cards. My question is, why the hell haven't they gotten around to this sooner? Especially with Wiiware really starting to take off, it makes no damn sense to me. Looking back, it just seems to me this is another one of those things that just should've been there at launch.

It's my one major complaint about the Wii - everything seems like it's a work in progress. They're just always adding new features and stuff that I can't comprehend why they weren't available from Day 1 - and hardware, too. Now we're finally getting voice chat, we're finally getting 1:1 motion sensing, etc., and all I can think is, what the hell took so long for you guys to figure this stuff out? And of course, don't forget things like Internet connectivity - you build a system capable of connecting to the Internet, so what was the hold up in actually making use of that capability?

Ultimately, what it boils down to is this - I understand the Wii is underpowered in comparison to other systems, but I just can't figure out why Nintendo seems to have such trouble making full use of what the Wii IS capable of.

Modus Ponens
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I'll bet you can use the two cameras to produce stereoscopic video and images. Each camera sends to a different screen, and then you hold the unit sideways and cross your eyes so the two screens "line up", et violÃ*, 3-D imagery!

Radium
10-02-2008, 05:26 PM
why the hell haven't they gotten around to this sooner?

They probably have been testing everything to the extreme to prevent their platform from becoming a pirates dream. The ability to use SD cards to store games could allow the Wii to play ROMs or homebrew games with a major glitch. That kind of hole could be disastrous for them.

That's my best guess as to why it's taking so long for them to allow SD card storage for wiiware and virtual console games.

The_Amaster
10-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Eh, I'll pick up one of the new DS's, but I'm also definitly keeping my old Lite, just in case. I'll use the two in tandem.

Cloral
10-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I'll bet you can use the two cameras to produce stereoscopic video and images. Each camera sends to a different screen, and then you hold the unit sideways and cross your eyes so the two screens "line up", et violÃ*, 3-D imagery!

One of the cameras is on the inside of the hinge and points back up at you. So if you cross your eyes, you might see your cross-eyed face on a horse's body.

Pryme8
10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Im a PSP man myself...

Modus Ponens
10-02-2008, 09:09 PM
One of the cameras is on the inside of the hinge and points back up at you. So if you cross your eyes, you might see your cross-eyed face on a horse's body.

Well, then, there you go. Son of a bitch, they really should have taken my idea.

Aegix Drakan
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok, the camera bit is cool, seeing as how I don't have a camera always on me, and I don't have a cell phone.

But...meh, whatever. I just got my DS lite about a year ago, and I don't want to get a new one just as an update, or something. I'm happy with my lite at the moment.

And I agree with the Wii thing. Why is it taking them so long to figure all this stuff out? When they announced the 1:1 motion thing, I went "wait...so that was never IN the wii? I thought that was what it was SUPPOSED to be doing!!"

vegeta1215
10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
About the Wii, they already announced that in Spring 09' a system update will allow storing things on the SD card to expand storage. Meaning that presumably WiiWare and Virtual Console downloads will be playable off the SD card.

I called it :D

I don't think they've been specific about whether games will be able to be played right from the SD card, but if they cannot be played right from the card (as opposed to copied onto the internal memory first) then it's going to be for nothing.

As for the DSi - I like my DS phat. The DS Lite feels to fragile in my hands, and the DSi doesn't sound much different. The internal memory in the DSi to buy/download/play games sounds nice, but it's not a seller for me. The only thing I'd really like to see is WPA support. WEP is ancient and worthless. Still, I haven't played an DS Wifi games in over a year. I'm more excited for all the Wii games that have been announced. There are way too many I want to play. (but Mario and Luigi 3 will be sweet for DS)

The_Amaster
10-02-2008, 09:55 PM
PIKMIN IS A PORT? AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
*goes off and destroys Tokyo*

Well, having seen it, I'm rethinking it maybe. It's not as much of an upgrade as I'd like, seeing as most of the non-camera functions I already get with my M3 cart.

Kairyu
10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Your brains have an update rate of 0. Go search for "Wii holographic memory".

Although the application makes no reference to the Wii, or to a games console, Nintendo’s inclusion has been enough to spark speculation that holographic storage is being considered as a way to bring greater storage capacity to the console.

However, it’s also worth noting that holographic storage is still extremely expensive, in its current forms, and building it into the Wii will definitely push the console’s cost well beyond £180 (€230/$355).
OH DEAR. I MISSED SOME FANBOY SPECULATION. I'M SUCH AN IDIOT. MY BAD.

So it's a mixed bag. I want one though. Why? Cause it will be hacked and you'll be able to play DS games off the built-in SD slot. ;)
You can do that now with a flash card. I'm not sure yet if that'll be easier/cheaper than whatever method people find to hack the new DS, though, so you might have an excellent point.

Yes, this was referenced in the article, and the source of my comment about external hard drives. While certainly an improvement, it's not the same, and the delay until '09S is just frustrating.

It's my one major complaint about the Wii - everything seems like it's a work in progress. They're just always adding new features and stuff that I can't comprehend why they weren't available from Day 1 - and hardware, too. Now we're finally getting voice chat, we're finally getting 1:1 motion sensing, etc., and all I can think is, what the hell took so long for you guys to figure this stuff out? And of course, don't forget things like Internet connectivity - you build a system capable of connecting to the Internet, so what was the hold up in actually making use of that capability?
Actually, I can think of several acceptable reasons, like managing networks and servers and stuff. The 1:1 motion sensing is annoying, though, I also feel like that should have been in since day 1.

As Cloral said, that seems like it'd be kind of hard, since one camera is on the outside of the top cover, and the other is on the inside of it. Short of bending space/time, I don't see how you could do it.

They probably have been testing everything to the extreme to prevent their platform from becoming a pirates dream. The ability to use SD cards to store games could allow the Wii to play ROMs or homebrew games with a major glitch. That kind of hole could be disastrous for them.

That's my best guess as to why it's taking so long for them to allow SD card storage for wiiware and virtual console games.
Considering how dead simple and relatively safe the Twilight Hack, which only requires the user to have what is easily one of the most popular games for the system, an internet connection, and an SD card is, I'm not entirely sure.

AtmaWeapon
10-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty underwhelmed. I fancy myself as a collector of Game Boys, so I will have to buy this, but in the end it's just a DS. I have no use for the camera. Mott and I were talking today and it seems to me that the clearest reason for this device is so that Nintendo can sell you GBA games without having to make carts or print boxes/manuals. Think about it; they phase out the GBA slot and quit supporting it; what's the story for how you'll play a GBA game in 3-5 years? My guess is you'll buy it from the Nintendo store and put it on your SD card.

It's corporate genius.

Rijuhn
10-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Did anyone see the video for the Wii and DS on Nintendo.co.jp?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/mov/wii.html?n10

I saw both teaser videos and I gotta say that I'm excited. From what I saw I can say that I'm going to definately be busy the rest of this year and 2009. I'm seeing more games coming up that are really able to take what made the SNES generation of games so great and put them into the Wii and especially the DS games.

Daputti
10-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Ok, I agree, Nintendo is going to use holographic memory just to store their ideas... >_>
But I shall point out that the DSi was speculated too.

Anyways, the day it's released is gonna be a happy day for hackers.
SD card equals homebrew. We just hope it will support SDHC, since
it's pretty much the standard nowadays... and practically we wouldn't
need hard drives or anything for the Wii if they could just release a
software update to allow the Wii to read SDHC cards (they go up to 32GB).

Russ
10-03-2008, 02:03 PM
No way am I getting the DSi. I actually use the GBA slot just as much as I use the DS slot. Why would they do something as incredibly stupuid as removing it?

MottZilla
10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
People speculate one reason for removing it (besides saving a buck or something for the port itself) is that they could then take GBA titles, remake them as DS downloadable titles. Basically a scam to make you buy the same games again. Nintendo loves this idea.

They say this DSi isn't due out till April 09'. Seems like bad timing to say hey look at this! Before the holiday season is what I mean.

Daputti
10-03-2008, 03:30 PM
People speculate one reason for removing it (besides saving a buck or something for the port itself) is that they could then take GBA titles, remake them as DS downloadable titles. Basically a scam to make you buy the same games again. Nintendo loves this idea.

They say this DSi isn't due out till April 09'. Seems like bad timing to say hey look at this! Before the holiday season is what I mean.
True, but why would Nintendo re-release 2D titles for a handheld
with much more power in general, two screens, and, the most
importantly, a touch screen. They couldn't use these features.
You can always get some DS Homebrew to the SD card though
*cough*GBAmulator*cough*

My guess is you'll buy it from the Nintendo store and put it on your SD card.

This will happen. But I don't really see anything wrong in there.
I mean, we're gonna get a bunch of other stuff too... I hope...

Russ
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
It's just not worth it. Almost everything the DSi does can be done with a normal DS, the internet card, and an M3 DS. In fact, that combonation will do more than what the DSi can do. You'll just have to live without the DS camera.

Kairyu
10-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok, I agree, Nintendo is going to use holographic memory just to store their ideas... >_>
I'm not saying they didn't patent it for any reason, I'm saying we don't have any reason at all to think it has anything to do with the Wii.

But I shall point out that the DSi was speculated too.
I'll admit that this is true. Not only did people speculate that Nintendo would, eventually, produce either a new handheld or an update to their current handheld system, it was also speculated to have improved Wi-Fi and a larger screen resolution (not just physically larger screens). Then again, weren't there a few people speculating that the Phantom was coming out a few years back?

Anyways, the day it's released is gonna be a happy day for hackers.
SD card equals homebrew. We just hope it will support SDHC, since
it's pretty much the standard nowadays... and practically we wouldn't
need hard drives or anything for the Wii if they could just release a
software update to allow the Wii to read SDHC cards (they go up to 32GB).
They better be able to read SDHC cards, since my CycloDS is already capable of letting me do that anyway.

No way am I getting the DSi. I actually use the GBA slot just as much as I use the DS slot. Why would they do something as incredibly stupuid as removing it?
I'm pretty sure you're in a significant minority, then. Most people don't.

MottZilla
10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
True, but why would Nintendo re-release 2D titles for a handheld
with much more power in general, two screens, and, the most
importantly, a touch screen. They couldn't use these features.
You can always get some DS Homebrew to the SD card though
*cough*GBAmulator*cough*

No, you can't. The Nintendo DS can't "emulate" GBA. NDS has a GBA native mode, however with the bus the GBA ROM/Cartridge sits on no longer there, you aren't going to be playing GBA games. GBA games take a massive 32MB of space. The DS has a tiny 4MB or so of RAM.

Next I don't think russadwan is in the minority at all. Lots of people still play GBA games and do use their DS to play them.

The_Amaster
10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Mott is right on both points.
The first kinda bugs, me, as I'm suprised that GBA games require so much RAM.
I still use my GBA slot all the time though.
I mean, on long car trips, I'm far more likely to play one of the numerous GBA RPGs I have, rather than my currently more action-orinted DS library.(Mainly because there are like 3 good, classic, RPGs for the DS, and two of them are Final Fantasy Remakes)

Russ
10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure you're in a significant minority, then. Most people don't.
Go read the topic at Pure ZC. Every single reaction was "It doesn't play GBA games! What a rip-off!" :)

Let's face it: GBA had one of the best collections of games ever. Nintendo did a stupid, stupid thing by preventing the DSi from playing them.

vegeta1215
10-03-2008, 08:32 PM
PIKMIN IS A PORT? AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
*goes off and destroys Tokyo*

Yes, they are porting Pikmin and Pikmin 2 to the Wii, but they're also making a brand new Pikmin game: http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915864p1.html

erm2003
10-04-2008, 12:51 AM
What about Guitar Hero: On Tour? The attachment goes into the GBA slot. So even though the reports are saying it's compatible with all DS games, that's not completely true based on the way GH:OT is set up. As of now it sounds like this game will only work on the first two generations of the DS.

aces2022
10-04-2008, 02:08 AM
The true fact of the matter is they should just redesign a new handheld. They use too much effort with keeping with the same platform. From an ecnomic standpoint the ideas to make you buy this system are variable and appeal to most people in some way or another, especially hackers. This is the kind of thing you want from a new system. If they were to release a new one it would be ahead of the new PSP, whenever that is to be. I think this is another one of those graphic things where they want to keep the price cheaper because their step to the next graphic enhancement is farther than they want to reach (right now). But I geuss that still keeps it cheap and easy for the developers. I think we given the advantage to them to long. They need to step up.

Revfan9
10-04-2008, 12:09 PM
All the better reason to pirate, I see...

MottZilla
10-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Mott is right on both points.
The first kinda bugs, me, as I'm suprised that GBA games require so much RAM.

GBA games have up to 32MB of ROM. My point was that emulating them, requires atleast 32MB of RAM to load the ROM into, plus the actual RAM for emulating everything.

Nintendo already said the DSi was designed for the japanese market. Which to me that makes sense. There are also rumors that the DS Lite will continue on in production for atleast another year.

Kairyu
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Go read the topic at Pure ZC. Every single reaction was "It doesn't play GBA games! What a rip-off!" :)

Let's face it: GBA had one of the best collections of games ever. Nintendo did a stupid, stupid thing by preventing the DSi from playing them.
Pure ZC (and AGN for that matter) do not represent Nintendo's target demographics. They're (generally diehard) fanboys.

I'm not knocking the GBA's library, it had quite a few gems. That doesn't change the fact that it's been 'old news' for too long now. The SNES easily had one of the greatest lineups in the industry, but only the crazy people like us still have one. The rest just use an emulator, assuming they even bother at all. Tragic, yes, but true nevertheless.

rock_nog
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Ah heck - personally, if my little sister hadn't destroyed my GBA SP, I'd still be using it to play my GBA games, not my DS. Frankly, I'm just not a fan of the DS key layout as it applies to GBA games.

Nicholas Steel
10-04-2008, 11:02 PM
No, you can't. The Nintendo DS can't "emulate" GBA. NDS has a GBA native mode, however with the bus the GBA ROM/Cartridge sits on no longer there, you aren't going to be playing GBA games. GBA games take a massive 32MB of space. The DS has a tiny 4MB or so of RAM.

Next I don't think russadwan is in the minority at all. Lots of people still play GBA games and do use their DS to play them.
define RAM. DS games take 64mb of space (possibly some games, more)....

The_Amaster
10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Frankly, I'm just not a fan of the DS key layout as it applies to GBA games.
...how is it different? You've got a d-pad on the left, your buttons on the right, R and L on the shoulders, and a screen in between.

Unless you mean as compared to the SP layout?
Although personally both the GBC and the SP made my hands cramp.

MottZilla
10-05-2008, 12:02 AM
define RAM. DS games take 64mb of space (possibly some games, more)....

RAM is writable memory. But DS game cards contain Mask ROMs. They are not writable. Also, the DS Cards are not like GBA cartridges. The ROM is accessed differently. Thus you can't just stick a GBA ROM where the DS ROM goes.

rock_nog
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm talking about the weird angle the A and B buttons are at on the DS. Just doesn't feel natural. If only they would let you remap the keys so I could use Y for B and B for A, so that I wouldn't have to awkwardly position my thumb.

AlexMax
10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I fail to see what exactly is so exciting about this. I have a first-gen DS with most of the AAA titles for the system and I think I've played Snake on my iPod 3G more than I've bothered with anything on the DS in the past year.

What about Guitar Hero: On Tour?

The answer is that Activision is not likely to ever port Guitar Hero to the DS again and will likely scare off whoever else tries something 'clever' with Nintendo's devices because Nintendo will probably just shift the spec out from under them again.

Anthus
10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
You won't see me buying a New DSi. They sound like shit, and I'll tell you why. No GBA compatibility, and a shorter battery. For what, a camera with an SD card? Woo-hoo. Now, update the actual guts of the system past post N64 quality graphics, then I'll get one ;]

Even the downloadable shit doesn't make it worth it.

aces2022
10-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Just for the record no matter how much shorter the battery life turns out to be compared to what we have, it will still most likely be much greater than the PSP.

Din
10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
The DS seems to be turning into an I-Phone rather then a gaming system. If there are cameras, you can bet that there will be software for it to take movies and pictures. I just hope Nintendo makes games rather then software easily found on a phone. Plus, the GBA slot gave so many advantages to new DS games. You insert a GBA game, you get an unlockable. I think I may keep my old DS handy.

MottZilla
10-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Just for the record no matter how much shorter the battery life turns out to be compared to what we have, it will still most likely be much greater than the PSP.

Huh? My PSP's battery life is fine. Do you really need that much battery life in a portable game system? How long do you plan to spend with it on and away from power access? No need to be hating on the PSP.