PDA

View Full Version : My overworld design.

Daputti
10-02-2008, 11:09 AM
So a few days ago I started building my quest and now I'm progressing
in the overworld and I'm not really sure about this design. I thought
that this portion of the overworld will look like this...

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=overworld2102008sd2.png

*b*
10-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Not bad. Far too much grass overall, which looks good on the map but, in game, it would probably look terrible. Another thing is the cliffs between the grass and beach are far too straight. Looks like a box with trees on it. I'm not usually one to comment on straight walls like that, but that's just overkill right there

_L_
10-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Why's there a bull's skull and a cactus in the middle of a grove?

Daputti
10-03-2008, 06:34 AM
OK, thanks. I removed that skull and the cactus, I don't know how they got there.

Not bad. Far too much grass overall, which looks good on the map but, in game, it would probably look terrible. Another thing is the cliffs between the grass and beach are far too straight. Looks like a box with trees on it. I'm not usually one to comment on straight walls like that, but that's just overkill right there

I did a bit of investigating and I found out that there are no combos in the DoR set that
would have a sand bottom and a grassy top. Darn. Also removed a bit of the grass, but
I don't think it would have looked that terrible.

TwilightKnight
10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
It's actually very good, all I'm missing here is:
-Use of the SD3 grass details, use them, they will lift up your graphics a lot, make sure there are no normal grass tiles.
-Less use of SD3 sand details, it makes your sand look to dark, replace some of them with a normal sand tile.
-Objects in the tall grass, rocks, or whatever, just edit them to make the bottom part look like they're in the grass.
-Some borders being less boxy, like the cliff from Grass->Sand and the sea border.
-More trees in the forest brush.

That's all, I'm quite pleased by the design.

The_Amaster
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
...am I the only person not seeing an image? I tried it on my Mac and my PC, nothing.

Modus Ponens
10-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I think it's a clever "Emperor has no clothes" joke. Amaster42 wins one internet.

Russ
10-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I can't see it either. Is it a joke, or is there some picture I just can't see?

Elmensajero
10-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, if ya'll tried quoting his original post, you would see this url (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=overworld2102008sd2.png), except in image tags. (But yes, it does not appear in the actual post on my computer either.)

Anyways, I like it, but as noted before, just try to make the edges less straight.

Daputti
10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
There are no diagonal mountain combos with a sand bottom and a
sandy background. The background is green, and it doesn't really
look good.