PDA

View Full Version : A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year old).

Prrkitty
09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
This wasn't appropriate for the jokes thread... so I put this in it's own.
---------------------------------------

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for th e old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why".

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life... like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The Six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

Beldaran
09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

Comfort does not imply truth.

Sorry, can't help myself. =)

The dog died because his DNA was not provoked by evolution to carry his existence beyond an acceptably long period of sexual virility. You will die for the exact same reason.

Russ
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Wow. Nice find Prrkity. It was very touching. Although Beldaran's attempts at starting another religious arguement somewhat ruined the moment.

Modus Ponens
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Religious argument? Who said anything about religion?

Archibaldo
09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
More things dogs have taught us:

The garbage is an all you can eat buffet.

It's not impolite to sniff each other's butts.

Shoes are a tasty, wholesome snack.

Food always tastes better the second time it goes down.

Poop where ever you damn well please.

Gloomietta
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
More things dogs have taught us:

The garbage is an all you can eat buffet.

It's not impolite to sniff each other's butts.

Shoes are a tasty, wholesome snack.

Food always tastes better the second time it goes down.

Poop where ever you damn well please.

Always try to smell as bad as possible.

If something is loud and anoying join in.

Nicholas Steel
10-01-2008, 04:01 AM
your whole post ST looks like some terrible spam i get in my junk box every so often, why you sharing it around here and retaining it's horrible formating (it makes you scroll for no reason)

Daputti
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
The dog died because his DNA was not provoked by evolution to carry his existence beyond an acceptably long period of sexual virility. You will die for the exact same reason.
...Did you understand it at all? ;)

Archibaldo
10-01-2008, 09:20 AM
your whole post ST looks like some terrible spam i get in my junk box every so often, why you sharing it around here and retaining it's horrible formating (it makes you scroll for no reason)

Who are you talking to?

Cloral
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Some of you have no tact. We have a nice post, and you have to come in here and try and ruin it. Shame on you.

Beldaran
10-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Some of you have no tact. We have a nice post, and you have to come in here and try and ruin it. Shame on you.

Are you new to AGN?

Prrkitty
10-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Bel... I'm asking nicely... take it to some other thread in GB or religion. Please and thank you.

Brasel
10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I found it an entirely refreshing. Thanks for sharing Prr.

Brasel
10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I found it an entirely refreshing. Thanks for sharing Prr.

Beldaran
10-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Bel... I'm asking nicely... take it to some other thread in GB or religion. Please and thank you.

What I said was simply my response to the story. I did not start a debate. I did not criticize anyone, and I did not go off topic. If you don't enjoy hearing my responses to posts, then by all means put me on your ignore list.

I will not, however, be changing my personality or ideas to suit the tastes of the group.

Cloral
10-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Are you new to AGN?

What I said was simply my response to the story.

What I said was simply my response to your post. I trust you will understand.

Beldaran
10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Well like I said, if reading my posts causes you such anguish, you're welcome to use the ignore feature.

ShadowTiger
10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Thank you for yet another lovely tale, Prr. Makes you sit and think for a moment. *Pushes away bowl of random meats I found in the fridge* Heheh.

This post has me concerned for more than the obvious reasons.

AtmaWeapon
10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
What if the dog died because he was trying to save a baby and a tree fell on him mister what's DNA got to do with that huh?

Beldaran
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
What if the dog died because he was trying to save a baby and a tree fell on him mister what's DNA got to do with that huh?

Well, DNA is the root cause of all behavior, so the answer to your question is, of course, everything.

aces2022
10-02-2008, 02:39 AM
I have a three legged German Sheppard back at home. He's kind of like a Bro. He always knows what I'm talking about too, no matter what it is. I miss him. This reminded me alot of him thanks Prr.

Cloral
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Well like I said, if reading my posts causes you such anguish, you're welcome to use the ignore feature.

It didn't cause me any anguish. It just kinda ruined the tone of the thread. You know, you can be yourself, but at the same time you have to learn about a thing called tact. Sometimes it's better to be quiet.

Daputti
10-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, DNA is the root cause of all behavior, so the answer to your question is, of course, everything.

Okay, if somebody shot with a cannon by random, and the ball would hit
the dog, that would be the DNA's fault. Of course, cannonballs hate every
kind of DNA. :D

Besides, how much would you expect for a 6-year old to know about DNA?

Beldaran
10-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Sometimes it's better to be quiet.

And "Discussion" forums are not that time/place.

If I wanted to be quiet, I'd go do my homework. I read a story someone posted. I posted a reaction based on the content of the story. It's not a big deal. If you disagree with my interpretation, then argue back. If you don't want to hear my interpretation, put me on ignore and follow your own sage advice, quoted above.

Trevelyan_06
10-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Bel is it necessary to give a reply to something merely to cause a reaction to it? You say that what you are doing is merely debate. It is not. Prr's post was meant to tell a nice little story. If you don't like it, then you don't have to post in here. She wasn't asking for you to debate her. If she wanted that, she would have put it in the debated forums, much as you could have done.

Going around attempting to turn every post into a debate of religion, politics, etc is not good forum manners. Sure we could all just put you on ignore, but the point is that we shouldn't have to. As Cloral says it wouldn't kill you to have a little tact and not go about looking to turn every post into a huge debate. To do so isn't good debating, it's just being a pain in the ass.

Now to be on topic here, I like your story there Prr, but it leaves out the most important purposes of a dog. That of vacuum cleaner, food tester, and waste disposal unit.

Beldaran
10-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I didn't start a huge debate. I just pointed out that the story is kind of stupid and why. You guys feel the need to debate me, otherwise you wouldn't be reacting like this.

As far as tact, I didn't realize that indicating that a story sucks is tactless. In that case, I'm surprised so many of you love Lilith, Breaker, Glitch, and Goat. Because we all know what paragons of tact and politeness they are. :rolleyes:

bigjoe
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't start a huge debate. I just pointed out that the story is kind of stupid and why. You guys feel the need to debate me, otherwise you wouldn't be reacting like this.

As far as tact, I didn't realize that indicating that a story sucks is tactless. In that case, I'm surprised so many of you love Lilith, Breaker, Glitch, and Goat. Because we all know what paragons of tact and politeness they are. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why are you constantly dicking with people? Its okay to a certain extent.but emphatic derisiveness is only acceptable for so long. Is there a hint of positivity in you?

And tell me, oh perfect specimen of evolution, what exactly makes your genetics more likely to survive than hers?

I do not accuse you of debating. I accuse you of being an inconceivable ass.

Beldaran
10-02-2008, 06:14 PM
And tell me, oh perfect specimen of evolution, what exactly makes your genetics more likely to survive than hers?

I do not accuse you of debating. I accuse you of being an inconceivable ass.

What are you talking about? When did I claim to be genetically superior to anyone?

Learn to read dude. :tongue:

Archibaldo
10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Who cares why the dog died. The whole point of the story is what the little 6 year old said. He doesn't know anything about DNA. That's what made the story so emotional.

If a six year old kid said he believed in Santa, would you tell him that Santa isn't real? You could, but if you did, you'd be kind of a douche bag.

Beldaran
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
If a six year old kid said he believed in Santa, would you tell him that Santa isn't real?

Yes. Only a douche bag would lie to kids and warp their view of reality.

Archibaldo
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Touché.

Gloomietta
10-03-2008, 01:14 PM

but only a jerk would shatter a childs dreams.

ShadowTiger
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
And of the forty year olds who sit by their chimney with a glass of milk and a plate of cookies on that snowy holiday near the end of the year?

Prrkitty
10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Now to be on topic here, I like your story there Prr, but it leaves out the most important purposes of a dog. That of vacuum cleaner, food tester, and waste disposal unit.

ROFLOL! You just described Teddy to a "T"... :) I've been having a hard time teaching him NOT to vacuum up every string or bit of fluff or anything else on the floor that he thinks is food. And yes I know he gets enough of his own food. :)

Beldaran
10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
but only a jerk would shatter a childs dreams.

I'd rather be an honest jerk than a popular liar.

Daarkseid
10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Goat. Because we all know what paragons of tact and politeness they are. :rolleyes:

If Goat were to murder Obama(and I'm a huge fag for Obama) tomorrow, be acquitted and come back here to brag about it while making liberal use of the word "nigger", I'd be the first to green rep his posts because thats how awesome he is.

You do not get to make any sort of association with him or make any statements that could be implied as an association by third parties. If you decide to make asshole comments in a thread, you can expect to be called out for it. If Goat were to do the same, he would be applauded and showered with praise. Women should want to have his children.

This is because you are not as awesome as he is, not even close. None of us are.

Beldaran
10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
See? Even Daarkseid would rather be an honest jerk than a popular liar.

SUCCESSOR
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
You say that what you are doing is merely debate. It is not. Prr's post was meant to tell a nice little story. If you don't like it, then you don't have to post in here.

The type of story she posted is like a million other stories that have floated around emails since Jesus jizzed them out in like 20 AD or so. The stories attempt to make you feel good by making things seem important that are entirely insignificant. False-happiness. Like a valium, it doesn't treat the problem just makes it so you can pretend there isn't one.

So you are all mad at Beld for pointing out bullshit in a nickle and dime sap story.

And the Santa thing fits this situation well. People get mad at me all the time for not wanting to fuck with my kid's mind by saying some fat sloth that works once a year, lives of cookies and milk, owns one of the largest child slave labor factories in the world, and breaks into your home is watching over her.

Beldaran
10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, that story was like one of those retarded e-mails that my obnoxiously emotional aunt sends to all 6,000,000 people on her contact list.

Gloomietta
10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Its not that santa is a great idea or anything im just saying that if a kid belives in santa already you wouldn't be like santas not real your parents are lying to you blah blah blah his/her world would come crashing down, might as well take the chair out from under the poor kid or steal his last bite of ice cream.
As for the post its cute and touching but it sounds like one of those myspace bulletiens that are like if you aren't touched by this and dont repost this in 10 minutes your dog will die!

Beldaran
10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Its not that santa is a great idea or anything im just saying that if a kid belives in santa already you wouldn't be like santas not real your parents are lying to you blah blah blah his/her world would come crashing down, might as well take the chair out from under the poor kid or steal his last bite of ice cream.

Oh, it's not that bad. You don't give kids enough credit. I've explained to kids that there is no Santa and they just said "Really? Yeah I guess that makes sense."