PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security Detects Terrorist Threats by Reading Your Mind

Prrkitty
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,426485,00.html

Quote1:It has a series of sensors and imagers that read your body temperature, heart rate and respiration for unconscious tells invisible to the naked eye — signals terrorists and criminals may display in advance of an attack.

But this is no polygraph test. Subjects do not get hooked up or strapped down for a careful reading; those sensors do all the work without any actual physical contact. It's like an X-ray for bad intentions.

Quote2: DHS is now planning an even wider array of screening technology, including an eye scanner next year and pheromone-reading technology by 2010.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Very interesting article. They're reading body language... and now that they've let the "cat outa the bag"... terrorists can start finding ways around this.

And the next inventions, eye scanner and pheromone reading, sound promising as well but with the pheromone reading you'd think that perfumes could/would skew the results.

rock_nog
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Well okay, this officially scares me. I mean, is anyone else here concerned about the Orwellian possibilities here?

The_Amaster
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
...what if you're a nervous flyer? What if you're respiration and prespiration are high because you don't like planes?

Or other common causes of nervousness?

Revfan9
09-23-2008, 07:11 PM
...what if you're a nervous flyer? What if you're respiration and prespiration are high because you don't like planes?

Or other common causes of nervousness?

The same thing that's happening more and more these days: Arrest first, ask questions after they've been in Guantanamo for 3 years. All in the name of preserving America, of course.

Pryme8
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
wow that is super dumb technology... how many people are terrified to fly? They walk in the entrance of the airport and are fine, but get the the security gate realizing this is the portal into the unknown and will surly have a flux in their readings making them suspect in the eyes of this system...

not to mention what about the guy who lost track of time wandering around the airport or talking to relatives and now has to run to his plane... also Im pretty sure his/her reading will have drastically changed.

Aegix Drakan
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I love Big Brother. :D

...Wait...NO I DON'T! :mad:

There is NO WAY that this thing will actually be able to determine who is RIGHTFULLY nervous, and who isn't! Hell, most of the terror nuts they WANT to catch would NOT be nervous. Why should they be? They fanatically believe that they are in the right, and will die for their cause.

...Honestly...as useful as this could possibly be... >_>

...Hell, why not just install the telescreens NOW? Save time and money!

Russ
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
If it actually works, wonderful! I just hope it works.

Nicholas Steel
09-23-2008, 11:15 PM
So here's how it works. When the sensors identify that something is off, they transmit warning data to analysts, who decide whether to flag passengers for further questioning.This is the only dodge info I see in the whole article, if it wasn't for this then I would have said that it is probably just so they know who to monittor on security camera's and stuff more reliably and that they would question you immediatly after using the machine.