PDA

View Full Version : "Rulesets"?!

_L_
09-21-2008, 01:03 PM
First, I'd like to thank you for all of your questions and feedback regarding recent developments (http://shardstorm.com/). Now, to address your primary concerns:

* It's a single-step command that simply changes quest rules while affecting the quest file in no other way whatsoever. The dialog box itself comprises 80% of the code for the whole feature.

* I understand the potential for confusion, so the dialog text makes it quite clear that rulesets are not quest rules, and that it's possible to change individual rules after selecting a ruleset.

* I do think it's important! ZC has long passed the point where quest rules were merely minor deviations from NES behaviour, and this feature acknowledges that they can and do affect core parts of the game engine.

* "Can you disable the box?" I might provide that option, if a significant proportion of you open ZQuest before loading an in-progress quest file.

That is all.

Sephiroth
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
* "Can you disable the box?" I might provide that option, if a significant proportion of you open ZQuest before loading an in-progress quest file.

How else are we supposed to load up a QST file without opening ZQuest first?

Are we getting a brand new editor or something, and we're phasing out ZQuest?

SpykStorm
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
If you use Z-Launcher, then there is an option to load the last opened quest when launching ZQuest.

pkmnfrk
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
If you use Z-Launcher, then there is an option to load the last opened quest when launching ZQuest.

Which is actually an option in ZQuest itself.

First, I'd like to thank you for all of your questions and feedback regarding recent developments (http://shardstorm.com/). Now, to address your primary concerns:

* It's a single-step command that simply changes quest rules while affecting the quest file in no other way whatsoever. The dialog box itself comprises 80% of the code for the whole feature.

* I understand the potential for confusion, so the dialog text makes it quite clear that rulesets are not quest rules, and that it's possible to change individual rules after selecting a ruleset.

* I do think it's important! ZC has long passed the point where quest rules were merely minor deviations from NES behaviour, and this feature acknowledges that they can and do affect core parts of the game engine.

That is all.

I like this idea. I hate the step of "manually trudge through 8 hundred pages of rules, reading each one so you don't forget something and have to go back later to turn it on, but it doesn't matter since you'll still have to anyway". If we get the option to turn it off, though, I would like for us to be able to choose a default.

Truthfully, I'd rather be able to have custom templates. However, I can understand why that wouldn't happen by 2.5.

_L_
09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
How else are we supposed to load up a QST file without opening ZQuest first?

Well, maybe double-clicking the quest file would work?

Or you could drag it onto the ZQuest icon! I do that all the time!

Shoelace
09-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Yeah, I think it was a great idea _L_. Newcomers will find that so much easier to understand. Thumbs way up on that one.

ShadowTiger
09-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Interesting. That works on Windows too? I've never even thought to do that.

Sephiroth
09-22-2008, 08:35 PM

Nope, it wants me to find an application that will open QST files.

Edit: Oh wait, new error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Hmm? I use this. However I don't overwrite previous versions when a new build comes out.

Nicholas Steel
09-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Nope, it wants me to find an application that will open QST files.

Edit: Oh wait, new error:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."
Uh, duh? tell it to open it with zquest ;)

jman2050
09-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm so glad we decided to get _L_ on this project :x