PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld and Gates

Masamune
09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/?CMXID=2120.536BDE86-4F43-4F76-8F97-EC70EB3BE670&WT.srch=1

http://penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080915.jpg

I remember seeing the shoe one on TV a bit ago. I don't see what's being advertised though. Microsoft in general?

Beldaran
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I saw it on TV too. I got a huge boner and bought 12 copies of Vista.

... not.

Cloral
09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
The point of the ad was exactly this - people go online and discuss it. So please, no more responses to this thread.

Beldaran
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I actually understand the ad perfectly.

Jerry Seinfeld is famous for creating a show about nothing that was a huge hit. So they used him to create a commercial about nothing, knowing that it would still serve the ultimate purpose of advertising which is to spread product awareness.

And it works! I remember those ads very clearly. Know why? Because they are weird and don't have a point. They are different than all the other commercials so I remember them.

Vista still blows though.

Linkus
09-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Microsoft kinda turned the tables on them. Seinfeld asks if computers will ever be "like cake, moist and chewy" to Gates, only hinting with a yes.

...Unfortunately, they aren't up-to-date with Internet memes, are they? You know which one I'm talking about--yes, I'll go ahead and say it:

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

And it'll probably be true as well; I don't think Windows can easily rebound after the pain that is Vista, but instead force it on the users much like they are now. It' could be the early 70's all over again, when it comes to choosing an OS...

Beldaran
09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
It' could be the early 70's all over again, when it comes to choosing an OS...

The early 70's? Seriously? What computers were on the market in the early seventies? The Altair?

That's a pretty bad exaggeration.

The_Amaster
09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
*raises hand to hit Linkus upside the head, than lowers it again*
Yeah, I think you found one of the few times where you can say that and it actually applies.
(Not that I'm against other Portal references. See Hadron Collider thread)

And yeah, that commercial was kinda...pointless. They like eating...and so somehow Vista is a good fit for them?

*sigh*A few years ago I would have said that now that Microsoft is screwing up so bad, everyone should switch to Apple, but after the monstrosity has been these last few generations, I can't even side with anyone anymore. We need the PowerMacs back.*sigh* I'm depressed now.

Beldaran
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
And yeah, that commercial was kinda...pointless.

Jerry Seinfeld is famous for creating a show about nothing that was a huge hit. So they used him to create a commercial about nothing, knowing that it would still serve the ultimate purpose of advertising which is to spread product awareness.

And it works! I remember those ads very clearly. Know why? Because they are weird and don't have a point. They are different than all the other commercials so I remember them.

I'm typing here since the forums require me to type something other than a quote, which is stupid.

Cloral
09-16-2008, 01:14 PM
The only good thing I can say about these ads is they are less annoying than those apple ads with John Hodgeman and that snarky asshole. In highschool I hated Apple because I knew someone who was a Mac Nazi and God, was he an idiot. Since then I had been becoming more accepting of Apple. I even saw why they made sense for some people. But then those ads came around and destroyed all the good will Apple had built up. Their new slogan should be, "Apple - we lie to you because our target audience doesn't know the difference."

Beldaran
09-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, I agree. Every time I meet a mac fanatic, they are someone who doesn't know jack about computers.

I'm tired of scrawny, emo bitches lecturing me on exactly why Apple is technically superior when they don't know ANYTHING about how computers work. There is a mechanical engineering major at my school who goes on these stupid Apple rants and I just want to kick him in the nuts for being so annoying.

My favorite quote of his: "Apple is so much better. It's basically the only operating system that actually works. Windows never works for me, ever. And Linux is just plain stupid. I can't find anything on a Linux computer. It's so horribly designed. What company made that crap anyway?"

rock_nog
09-16-2008, 02:43 PM
See, this is why my old screenname, "macweirdo42," was ill-thought-out. I find that people often interpret the "mac" as me being a mac fan, and personally I'm not such a fan. Personally, I miss the feel of a good old-fashioned DOS prompt, myself.

The_Amaster
09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
The only reason I like Macs is because they were blinding fast. The new Macs and all Windows are all sluggish, whereas on my PowerMac G3 I could be running IE, Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator, four quite RAM intensive programs, and have it respond instantly.

But I'm not going to debate this here, because I know it's poinless...

"Apple is so much better. It's basically the only operating system that actually works. Windows never works for me, ever. And Linux is just plain stupid. I can't find anything on a Linux computer. It's so horribly designed. What company made that crap anyway?"
...wow. That's kinda sad. I mean, even I admit that Windows works, I just like OS9 better than anything MS's ever put out.
And he asked what company makes Linux...?

Daarkseid
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
But then those ads came around and destroyed all the good will Apple had built up.

I love those ads because of the obvious references of the two characters: PC is supposed to be Bill Gates and Mac is Steve Jobs.

It makes sense actually because Bill Gates comes off as a huge douche and Steve Jobs capacity for being an arrogant asshole is almost legendary.

Masamune
09-17-2008, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU