PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing problems.

Trevelyan_06
09-11-2008, 02:31 PM
So, as we all know, water is suppose to go down your drains, not come up them. That, unfortunate, is exactly what happened to me on Monday. The wife had just pulled the drain plug on the kitchen sink, and I happened to flush the toilet while that water was slowly draining out. I happened to look over at the bathtub and notice that water was coming up from the drain.

This falls under the category of "bad things". I knew that most likely this was a problem with a blockage in the main sewer line. So, I went ahead and called a plumber because it was easier and shouldn't have been to expensive. And it wouldn't if he had just had to snake the lines. Unfortunately, this house does NOT have a clean out point anywhere to be found, and when the tried to go down the toilet drain, the damned snake would hit the t-pipe where the vent meets the main and go up the vent.

The solution? Behind the kitchen stove is an access panel for the bathroom. The main vent was located here. So, the hole was enlarged and a clean out added there. The pipes snaked, a camera put down them and everything re-seated and closed up. The pipes are working now and the camera showed them to be in rather good shape actually. The moral of this little story is to take care of your houses plumbing unless you want some rather expensive repair bills.

rock_nog
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Christ, had something almost exactly like that happen to me a couple of years ago. On the plus side, it was in an apartment so my roommates and I didn't have to pay a plumber. On the down side, our landlord decided he would fix it himself, and ended up breaking a tool off trying to snake the toilet, which led to him tearing up the carpet in my room to get access to the little hatchway dealy so he could get the tool back.

Prrkitty
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Sorry you had the issue hon... but glad it was fixed fairly easily and fairly inexpensively. :)
It *really* sucks when you live in a trailer and the septic tank in the ground outside decides to quit working and backs up into EVERY orifice of your trailer...

Just shudders at the memory... 'nuff said

The_Amaster
09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Yeah, always sucks when that happens. I've got a story though :D

We just moved in right? My mom decides she wants to take a bath, so she fills the tub, spends a half hour or so in ,and then unplugs the drain.
After about 30 seconds my dad's voice echoes up from the living room: "Stop! What are you doing?!"
"Emptying the tub. Why?"
"Well stop!"
"Why"
"It's raining in the living room!"

...turns out that there was a section of pipe missing under the tub, so the water was flowing down and then emptying into the ceiling! I kid you not. We still have no idea how this happened.

Anyone who's ever seen "The Money Pit" would understand why we were so scared.

Aegix Drakan
09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
@ amaster: Oh gosh... That's not pretty...but still...raining in the living room...rofl. Your dad sounds like a funny guy. :rolleyes:

Brasel
09-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Maybe I shouldn't buy a house.

Trevelyan_06
09-12-2008, 03:38 AM
Maybe I shouldn't buy a house.

Don't let stories like this discourage you from getting one man. Yeah it sucks balls to have things like this happen, but it's equally if not more awesome to fix up the house like YOU want, not some landlord. It's also very nice to know that the things you are doing are adding the value of your home and that the payments you are making are not only building you equity instead of just going down the drain, they're also tax deductible.

Honestly, everything the plumber did I could have done on my own given enough time. I just didn't trust myself enough to do it as I was afraid I'd epically fuck something up and sewage pipes are not easily replaced. The big thing was getting the clean out drain installed. I really would have struggled with that even had I know you could do that which I did not. Now, that it's in though, I can plumb the drains whenever they need it and in fact am going to do it once a year as a precaution.

If you're worried about stuff like this you can always get a home warranty. You pay a monthly or yearly fee and then it works just like a new car warranty. Any repairs or damages like this are covered by the warranty. I haven't looked into them a lot but I'm pretty sure there is a deductible, but you can set that as well as the other options to your liking.

Brasel
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Don't let stories like this discourage you from getting one man. Yeah it sucks balls to have things like this happen, but it's equally if not more awesome to fix up the house like YOU want, not some landlord. It's also very nice to know that the things you are doing are adding the value of your home and that the payments you are making are not only building you equity instead of just going down the drain, they're also tax deductible.

Honestly, everything the plumber did I could have done on my own given enough time. I just didn't trust myself enough to do it as I was afraid I'd epically fuck something up and sewage pipes are not easily replaced. The big thing was getting the clean out drain installed. I really would have struggled with that even had I know you could do that which I did not. Now, that it's in though, I can plumb the drains whenever they need it and in fact am going to do it once a year as a precaution.

If you're worried about stuff like this you can always get a home warranty. You pay a monthly or yearly fee and then it works just like a new car warranty. Any repairs or damages like this are covered by the warranty. I haven't looked into them a lot but I'm pretty sure there is a deductible, but you can set that as well as the other options to your liking.

And this is one of the reasons why I keep you around. ;)

aces2022
09-12-2008, 11:10 PM
It's a lot worse when the tree roots start growing into the pipes. They clog them and then break them. Its a messy week or two. We had just bought the house so the previous owner had to pay for it. How much did it cost you?

Trevelyan_06
09-13-2008, 02:07 AM
It wound up costing 2K. The plumber had to come out twice, which added to the price. The first time was a dud because of the whole snake going up the vent thing. The installation of the pipe, cutting of the wall, and the camera all added more though. I could have gotten away without the camera because it didn't show any problems, however, I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't gotten it done. So, I'm glad that I did that.

Modus Ponens
09-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Every time I see the title of this thread I think it's going to be about penile dysfunction.