PDA

View Full Version : ZC Slowdown

Brasel
09-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone else having this issue? Or is it just my computer:

ZC and ZQuest run fine on my computer for the most part no matter what resolution or size I run them in, until my computer either goes into a screen saver or hibernates. Whether or not ZC is running at the time doesn't seem to make a difference. When ZC is up and the green rain screen saver starts to run and I let it go for just a little bit, the program starts to respond very sluggishly, although playable for the most part. If my computer goes into standby or hibernates either with a ZC program running or not, it goes to run so slow that I can't really play a quest, but I can continue making ZC, though the animated combos just play very very slowly. The only way I've been able to fix this is to restart. I'm running Windows XP on a fairly quick machine. 2 gigs of RAM, 128 mb video card, and a 2.0 gig athlon turion64x2. I wonder if it has to do with my OS seeing as its an HP released with Vista, and I downgraded and used a lot of third party drivers, though everything else runs great. The only issue I have with the computer since downgrading is with ZC, which is one of the reasons I downgraded to begin with.

I haven't tested this on another machine yet, but I plan to tomorrow when I get to work. I can't confirm that this happens on my Linux either, as I wiped that partition a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten around to reinstalling it yet. I wasn't sure if this was a bug or not, because I'm still not convinced that its not my computer, so I decided I'd ask to see if anyone else is experiencing it first.

Nicholas Steel
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I guess the devs can incororate A silent keystroke every 30 seconds or so? (IE: auto press A key that is not used in any keyboard so as to prevent either the screen saver or hibernation from functioning while ZC is running.)

This is done in various emulators and stuff too.

Elmensajero
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, you can actually disable the screensaver. In ZClassic, goto Misc -> Screen Saver -> Run After = Never. Also, the operating system's hibernation/screensaver settings can usually be changed as well. As for me experiencing any of these issues, personally I haven't, although when I put my laptop on standby some stuff does act a little strange sometimes afterward, although not all the time.

Brasel
09-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Oh I know I can stop the screen saver from going off, I just prefer not to if I can help it.