View Full Version : Google Chrome

Radium
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
*hits refresh on http://www.google.com/chrome over and over and over*

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

Read the Comic: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

rock_nog
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm oddly excited. Why am I excited about a web browser? Seriously, they need to hurry up and release this - I need some sort of distraction while I wait for Spore.

Russ
09-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Looks neat. The first link doesn't work, but from what I read in the comic, it looks neat.

Radium
09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Google Chrome will be out at 12PM Pacific. The first link should work at that time.

Russ
09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Good. I can't wait!

Shazza Dani
09-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Looks interesting. I'll have to try this.

Radium
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
OMG it's amazing. I will never use firefox or IE again! :D w0000t!

http://www.google.com/chrome/ it's out now

rock_nog
09-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow, this is a really nice browser. I'm especially impressed because there are some sites I visit that choke up or don't load correctly in Firefox, but they work fine in Google Chrome.

erm2003
09-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I am using it too. So far it's nice but it does have a couple site bugs for me (can't check work e-mail easily on this) and I have noticed my vertical scrolling with my touchpad will let me go down but not back up a page. Odd, but pretty fixable I hope.

Modus Ponens
09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm liking it a lot, too. It's quick and nimble when it needs to be; it can float through the air and climb up trees.

AtmaWeapon
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm using it right now and I really like some of the stuff it does, but it's a long way from prime time.

Stuff it does right:
Sandboxes its processes. Thank God.
Tab = process means when stupid plugins (I'm looking at you, QuickTime!) fail I only lose the tab.
Address bar is just about perfect.
Start page with history-based speed dial is perfect.
FAST
Tabs at the top means Fitz's law works in my favor and it's easier to find the right tab with the mouse.
Best feature I needed 5-10 years ago: incognito window.

Stuff it does wrong/is missing:
I keep my bookmarks in sets and like to open them all at once. Getting to the bookmarks is too hard. There's plenty of room for a button up there.
I can't get a URL list out of the address bar. I have to go to the history for sites I've visited recently. The searching of history is great, but doesn't help me when I can't remember the stupid URL in the first place.
No extension support at the moment means it's missing NoScript, a vital part of my online experience.
I don't think the "recently closed tabs" thing is thorough enough, but I haven't exercised it much yet. Like with the bookmarks, having to open a new tab to get to this is too much interaction.It's not bad for a beta. I like a lot of its features and it's my new browser to play Kingdom of Loathing due to its speed. However, ultimately I'm stuck between Firefox/Opera for what I'd actually like to use due to the lack of good "turn off stupid web page features" functionality. I'm willing to bet in about a year Chrome's going to be giving Opera serious competition. If Google does extensibility right (or makes Firefox extensions work with Chrome), Mozilla might be wrestling with a tornado here.

*edit* New thing it does wrong: when I close the last tab, it closes Chrome. Boo!

rock_nog
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Heh, that's my only real complaint - closing the last tab closes the browser. Just seems completely out of place.

But goddamn, it is really fast, which blows me away - compared to any other browser I've used, I've never noticed that much of a boost in speed. I mean, I do like the interface, but it's the "under the hood" aspect that really impresses me.

EDIT: Oh, another point, a minor one, but it's something I think is great. The way it handles remembering passwords - I absolutely hate how most browsers have some pop-up as soon as you enter a password asking if it would like you to remember the password. Not that I mind being asked - it's just, if it's someplace I haven't been to in awhile, and I'm not sure whether or not I got the password right, I don't want to click "yes" and have it remember the wrong password. Thankfully, Chrome puts that question off to the side, and loads the page up before even asking you, so you can see whether or not you remembered it correctly and didn't make any typos.

Russ
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Dang. I'm getting a download error. :( Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with IE until I figure out why it won't download.

phattonez
09-02-2008, 10:12 PM
The speed is so nice. Everything seems solid so I'm impressed so far.

Zaphod Q. IX
09-03-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm playing around with it now, since I had just enough time to download it and go to two sites before work. :(

Looks good so far, especially for a beta. I like some of the cool features.

Zaphod Q. IX
09-03-2008, 03:27 AM
...a beta...
http://i33.tinypic.com/anot1u.jpg
The broken images aren't images. :eyebrow:

Also, I just tried the in-line shortcut of highlighting text on these boards and hitting CTRL-B and it toggled the bookmark toolbar within Chrome.
Interesting...

Shazza Dani
09-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Opera treats the "view post" link as a broken image too. I think there's something wonky about this forum's coding.

The_Amaster
09-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Whelp, I'm currently gonna use it as much as possible to see if I like it (which I do so far), but I'm keeping Firefox on standby.

Nicholas Steel
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
% signs don't render properly when making posts on some phpbb forums, aside from this, I don't see many "problems" which aren't because of dodge site coding.

EDIT: you can resize the text boxes when posting :O

Russ
09-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Opera treats the "view post" link as a broken image too. I think there's something wonky about this forum's coding.
It doesn't work with IE either. Hm. :confused:

Cloral
09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Those 'view post' links seem to work fine in firefox. Weird...

Lilith
09-03-2008, 05:08 PM
---

Nicholas Steel
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
the "New Posts" link appears fine for me o_o (chrome)

MasterSwordUltima
09-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Installing it as I type. Will edit post as soon as its done.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot faster, but then again I only just tried it on AGN. The interface is welcoming, but I miss my cool add-ons for Firefox, like the 3D cube effect when switching tabs. I like how it did add all of my bookmarks and settings though. :)

phattonez
09-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Is anyone else having a problem with scrolling in chrome?

Nicholas Steel
09-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I only had issues with scrolling in acrobat reader within chrome... aside from that, nope.

Revfan9
09-11-2008, 04:38 AM
*respond to topic title*

For me, the perfect software is software that you never even notice. Google Chrome's UI does an amazing job of this, much better than Firefox or any other browser for that matter.

But its not my main browser yet. Why? Well first off, look at its privacy policy. Second, it doesn't have a Linux version yet (I have a Windows partition on the Desktop still for whenever I need it, but I may boot into it once a week, maybe less). And third, its still a bit immature and bugs are still numerous, not to mention that it has absolutely no Adblocking extension or NoScript (My two favorite Firefox plug-ins, I literally can't live without them).

Fix these 3 problems, and I'll gladly abandon Firefox for it.

erm2003
09-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Is anyone else having a problem with scrolling in chrome?

Yep. Mentioned back in post #9. I find that most annoying but I am sure they will fix it up when they have an update. That and a few other important site issues are the only things that have me hesitant to use the program at this point.

Nicholas Steel
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/

Uninstall chrome and unzip one from here, these are nightly builds.

Revfan9
09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I think its important to note: The above browser is Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome. Chrome and Chromium are NOT the same thing... (Chromium is considerably less developed than Chrome is, for obvious reasons that Google really doesn't want to promote Open Source)

phattonez
10-18-2008, 10:10 PM
So is anyone still using this? I got tired of all of the bugs, the crashing, but most of all the scrolling. I'm back with Firefox and everything works perfectly (although I miss some of the conveniences of Chrome).

rock_nog
10-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm still using Chrome - guess I just got used to it. My main complaint is no ad-blocking feature.

And Revfan, just what in the hell are you talking about? Google Chrome itself is open source - why would Google not want to promote open source when its own product is open source?

Archibaldo
10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
The only issue I have with chrome, is that some times right after I connect to the internet, the browser will just close. But it's rare enough that it's not a major issue.

Nicholas Steel
10-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Revfan, Chromium is the code name for the raw SVN code of Chrome, not a separate product. Chrome does not get exclusive updates. Chrome is Open Source Software and Chromium is its source code.