PDA

View Full Version : Good classic-style quests

DarkFlameWolf
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Not necessarily have to BE in the classic style tileset, but classic as in dungeons 1-8 then 9, beat game, style.
To get an idea of the type of quests I'm looking for, I thouroughly enjoyed:
Revenge, Revenge 2, Link's Birthday DX, Zelda: Ages, Child's Quest, etc.
If there are any quests similar to these, I'd love to play them.

nashvillan
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I know what you mean. I remember a quest years ago that sortof fit that mold. I think it was called "Greatest Adventure".
It started out simple enough, travelling through the overworld going through levels 1-7. But once you completed 7, you were introduced to another overworld which you had to explore to obtain the required items to get into level 8. What I really liked about it was the background music was all rock n roll hits. It also featured a "leave your money or life" screen without the option to leave life. It was a good use of this because it required you have "X" number of dollars to explore certain rooms or even enter certain dungeons. It also keeps you from exploring most of the quest being maxed out in coin. It was in the classic tileset, some of the icon artwork needs a facelift on it, but it was very enjoyable (well, except for the level which used 'sex and candy' as their bgm).

Brasel
08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Hell Awaits by Manson Seed if its still available for Download.

Shazza Dani
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Hell Awaits by Manson Seed if its still available for Download.

I looked up that quest, and this screenshot made me weary of playing it:

http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/screenshots/hella01ss03.gif

Looking at the map in the corner... I wouldn't want to play a quest that's totally linear like that.

Brasel
08-29-2008, 04:47 PM
It was really cool when it came out...years and years ago. My quest, Another Adventure, and this one were up for Quest of the Week back when Cyclone managed the Quest Database. Hell Awaits won out, and I played it and decided that it deserved to win. That was such a long time ago, wow. Seven years? Something like that.

DarkFlameWolf
08-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't judge a map by its cover. If you played level 7 or 8 in the 2nd quest in my quest Origin, you'll see that it isn't linear regardless if the dungeon layout is one big spiral.

geejopeepo
10-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I basically only play games in the classic tileset. How about A Link To the Heavens by pineconn? That was fantastic. Or the unofficial third quest? That was a real treat. I also really enjoyed James Quest 1. What an amazing game!

Pineconn
10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I basically only play games in the classic tileset. How about A Link To the Heavens by pineconn?

Thank you, but LttH was built with Pure. :p

Anthus
10-07-2008, 01:03 AM
SwanSong fits the nine dungeon mold quite well. I like it a lot. I like Search for Elise a lot more, and it is a nine dungeon quest, it is also huge. I assume you wanted something smaller and simpler?

Din
10-07-2008, 01:10 AM
If those don't work, try End of Time by Pineconn. It has a classic tileset, classic feel, with great dungeons and gameplay.

King Aquamentus
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I know what you mean. I remember a quest years ago that sortof fit that mold. I think it was called "Greatest Adventure".
It started out simple enough, travelling through the overworld going through levels 1-7. But once you completed 7, you were introduced to another overworld which you had to explore to obtain the required items to get into level 8. What I really liked about it was the background music was all rock n roll hits. It also featured a "leave your money or life" screen without the option to leave life. It was a good use of this because it required you have "X" number of dollars to explore certain rooms or even enter certain dungeons. It also keeps you from exploring most of the quest being maxed out in coin. It was in the classic tileset, some of the icon artwork needs a facelift on it, but it was very enjoyable (well, except for the level which used 'sex and candy' as their bgm).

Nashvillain, that's The Longest Journey, by pLeitorian. This is a quest I'm constantly talking about and telling people to play. He made a sequel to this which was famous for being ZC's first real remake of Zelda 2, but I prefer his first title more. "Jumpin Jack Flash" fits the flowy lava feel of the caverns (even if rafting over Lava doesn't make a whole lot of sense.)

Sam Atoms
10-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I would recommend this (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=129), and this (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=14) as well.

DigiPro31279
10-21-2008, 01:31 AM
go with unofficial 4th if you haven't played it yet. though it was my first quest made 4 yrs ago