PDA

View Full Version : SotW 18 (tie between LostInHyru1e and mighty_darknut)

Pineconn
08-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Note to SotW staff: the SotW account doesn't have the ability to make polls. Also, if you create the thread without the poll (under your own user name, of course), you and only you can add the poll to the thread. It's under "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread.

LostInHyru1e

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/zelda179-2.jpg

"Link's on acid again."

russadwan

http://www.freewebs.com/russad/SotWEB.gif

A preview of the Mother of all tilesets. :D

mighty_darknut

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/sd_sotw18.png

Vote for Mr. Elly Fant; he'll set your people free!!

Sorry it's a little late.

Linkus
08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Going to have to go with MD on this one. The palette is pleasing, despite that most of the tiles we've seen before, and portrays a room style geared towards LttP.

Russ: Huh, it's kinda funny, but Mother 2's detail clashes with Mother 3's cleanliness. Both are simple but yet they still clash whed used together, except for for most of the sprites. Also, the design isn't that great.

Also, for the sake of us all:

Using Pure's default palette is no longer acceptable, or it should be. It just doesn't have flavor anymore, as it looks like everything is phony, flat, and dead. Secondly, it just doesn't fit the Mother series, do don't use it! Here's my reason why~

The grayscale for stone structures is too bland. It just goes from white to gray and then black, not a faint blue, red or anything. It's just unrealistic and adds nothing to the ambiance.
The browns are too muted. It bogs down the screen, making whatever uses it look slightly dead. Once again it does nothing for the ambiance. If it were more orange or something, it'd look more lively. This actually goes towards a lot of the other color gradients as well.
The gradients themselves. They're too low-contrast when it comes to the tiles, making the black borders too evident. Also, a lot of the tiles rarely use the fourth gradient, and instead use the black. A higher contrast would sharpen the environment, add depth, and make it look more lively. (Even if you're not going for a lively look, it does help to remeber this.)LostInHyrule - Course, you pass a the palette thing, but now the screen loooks too busy. You'd have a hard time figuring out where you need to go.

bobrocks95
08-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Going to have to go with MD on this one. The palette is pleasing, despite that most of the tiles we've seen before, and portrays a room style geared towards LttP.

Russ: Huh, it's kinda funny, but Mother 2's detail clashes with Mother 3's cleanliness. Both are simple but yet they still clash whed used together, except for for most of the sprites. Also, the design isn't that great.

Also, for the sake of us all:

Using Pure's default palette is no longer acceptable, or it should be. It just doesn't have flavor anymore, as it looks like everything is phony, flat, and dead. Secondly, it just doesn't fit the Mother series, do don't use it! Here's my reason why~

The grayscale for stone structures is too bland. It just goes from white to gray and then black, not a faint blue, red or anything. It's just unrealistic and adds nothing to the ambiance.
The browns are too muted. It bogs down the screen, making whatever uses it look slightly dead. Once again it does nothing for the ambiance. If it were more orange or something, it'd look more lively. This actually goes towards a lot of the other color gradients as well.
The gradients themselves. They're too low-contrast when it comes to the tiles, making the black borders too evident. Also, a lot of the tiles rarely use the fourth gradient, and instead use the black. A higher contrast would sharpen the environment, add depth, and make it look more lively. (Even if you're not going for a lively look, it does help to remeber this.)LostInHyrule - Course, you pass a the palette thing, but now the screen loooks too busy. You'd have a hard time figuring out where you need to go.

Well, first off I agree that EB and Mother 3 definitely DO NOT mix well, and secondly I'm pretty sure that Russ is using a custom palette that I heard took him some effort to make. Sorry that it hasn't turned out well. Lastly, LostInHyrule's shot is supposed to make it hard to figure out where to go. Link is on acid after all.

LostInHyru1e
08-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Nulled.

Russ- I like the tileset and the tiles seem to be used correctly, but there's just not enough detail in the screen. You should rip/draw some more detail tiles for the tileset, it looks a bit too plain like that. Not a bad screen, just a little under-detailed.

MightyDarknut- Nothing really special, just a basic Pure dungeon with a decent palette and a decent design. Nothing special, but not bad.

Joe123
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Note to SotW staff: the SotW account doesn't have the ability to make polls. Also, if you create the thread without the poll (under your own user name, of course), you and only you can add the poll to the thread. It's under "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread.

Ah, apologies.
I thought you'd be able to add a poll because you have moderator priveleges (I think?)
I'm trying to get the sotw post count up to 50 so that it has a larger inbox.

Pineconn
08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Nope, only the post's creator (with 100+ posts, I think) can make a poll within a thread. I have no power there.

Now, for the screenshots... Oy. I had to vote for LostInHyrule. The other two aren't too hot in my opinion. Russ's is plain and green, and MD's is symmetrical and pretty standard.

Russ
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Lost: Reminds me of DoR's "shrooming" palette. Good palette, awsome screen design.
MD: It's an nice shot, but too symetrical for SotW.

As for the comments on mine, the palette is not permanent. It's from DoR, and I'm just using it to rip in the tiles until I get around to making a custom palette. And, I know the screen lacks detail. Submissions were needed to start SotW, so I threw a bunch of tiles I had ripped together and submitted it.

Pineconn
09-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Ugh. Tie.

Russ
09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed MD's symetrical shot would beat mine. But nonetheless, do you have enough submissions for the next SotW?

SotW
09-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm afraid we only have one entry for this week =(
I might fill in a second though if we don't get any more in the next few hours.

~Joe123