PDA

View Full Version : Is Tales of Vesperia worth getting?

Cloral
08-26-2008, 08:53 PM
See thread title.

DarkDragoonX
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, I'm planning on picking it up... I've quite enjoyed the Tales series in the past. Whether you'll like it depends on a few things, though:

1. If it's anything like the other Tales games, it will be LONG... we're talking 60+ hours here without doing any sidequests.

2. Obviously, it's very much an anime-style RPG, so if anime and the associated cliches that come along with it set your teeth on edge, stay away.

3. The game uses a real-time combat system. Basic combos chained into special moves, rather like a hybrid RPG/fighting game.

If none of those points bother you, it's definitely worth picking up.

Archibaldo
08-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I tried to pick it up today. I went to Wal-Mart. Wasn't there. Then I went to HMV, not there either. Unfortunately I spent too much time loitering in both stores by the time I got to EB Games to check for it, they were closed (5 o'clock on a tuesday, wat up wit dat?) and so I drove to another EB, also closed. So I ended up borrowing Lost Odyssey from my friend. So I'll probably wait until I finish that before I get it.

Yoshiman
08-27-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm willing to bet that if you've played any other Tales game and liked it, you'll probably like ToV. Keep in mind though, the Tales series is a definite love or hate kind of thing.

I've only played the demo, but from what it is, it feels very similar to past games. The only thing I noticed is that it seems slightly harder than Symphonia and Abyss. And apparently Rita is a very broken character. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfYb53_ieds)

Cloral
08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Well I did like Phantasia, Symphonia, and even Abyss, so yes I am more or less a fan of the series.

vegeta1215
08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
If I ever get a 360, I'd like to pick it up. I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube, and this game looks great and sounds like it has even higher production values. Plus I'm a sucker for anime style games.

Sure the Wii is getting a Tales of Symphonia sequel/sidequest, but I don't like the look of it. (it's not cell shaded) Plus I don't think any VAs are returning to reprise their roles. I might still try it though, but I feel like it might be boring to revisit the same places again too.

AtmaWeapon
08-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Isn't this some kind of prequel/sequel to ToS? I want it real bad, but my lack of an XBox 360 is making that tough.

DarkDragoonX
08-27-2008, 11:05 PM
No. Symphonia is a prequel to Phantasia, and is getting a Wii sequel, but Vesperia, like most other Tales games, is a standalone adventure set in it's own world.

On another note, I got it today and it's freaking awesome.

Cloral
08-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Good to hear. I'll probably get it at the end of next week when I come back from my vacation at Park City then.

Matteo
08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the story-line from Vesperia is somewhat linked to Symphonia

Archibaldo
09-01-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm about 10 hours into the game and so far the plot isn't as great as Symphonia. There's been one twist. If you can call it that, considering it was very weak. I haven't seen anything related to Symphonia yet.

DarkDragoonX
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
It's not related in any way at all to Symphonia. I don't know why some people keep insisting it is.

Also, the plot is so much better it isn't even funny. Frankly, the plot was the single WORST aspect of Symphonia. Tons of plot twists does not make a good story. Vesperia is actually really low on the "twists," yet manages to have one of the most interesting, thought-provoking stories in the series (of course, in a series as lighthearted as the Tales games, that's not saying too much).

The characters are much better, as well, or at least the main character is (the supporting cast is pretty much par for the course). Seriously, Lloyd was one of the most one-dimensional characters ever.

Archibaldo
09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
The twists are what made it interesting. So far at 20 hours into the game there's still nothing really makes you think about the story.

DarkDragoonX
09-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Well, let's see... Yuri is a nice, likable guy. Everybody likes him. He has a strong sense of justice. He's also a murderer. There is no hedging the fact that he kills more than one person in cold blood, when he feels that justice hasn't been served.

In contrast, his friend Flynn works inside the law. He does his best to see justice served, but only within the bounds of the law. If something terrible happens to somebody because the law prevents him from acting... well, it sucks, but he won't stop it.

A big question raised in the game is whether or not it's okay to do something terrible for a greater good. If a wrong can make a right.

Symphonia, on the other hand, is basically just a giant flashing neon sign that says "bigotry is bad! Don't do it!" All the "plot twists" are garbage like "Oh noes, the bad guy is my daddy!" It may be action-packed, and fun in it's own right, but it's shallow as hell. Like the cheesy action movie of RPG stories.

Vesperia's story is far better crafted, and far more intelligent by comparison. If you're 20 hours into the game and aren't thinking, you aren't paying enough attention.

Archibaldo
09-05-2008, 05:35 PM
If any of you are nearing the end of the game or at least further than I. I need some help.

-=SPOILER=-