PDA

View Full Version : MY 360 Sounds Like a Time Bomb on Speed

Yoshiman
08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
So yeah, a few days ago, while playing Soul Calibur IV, my 360 started making this weird, rapid ticking noise, and it's been doing it ever since. It doesn't happen right away, but it usually starts around 10-15 minutes into a game. The sound comes from the right side of the console, and seems like it might be a fan. Right before Tales of Vesperia comes out, too.

Is this an early sign of an inevitable RRoD, and should I be calling for a coffin?

MottZilla
08-25-2008, 12:41 AM
No. That sounds mechanical. The RROD (disease wise) is related to heat and poor solder joints. What you describe sounds like a failing fan, or if you are hearing wrong, maybe a failing disc drive. If you are sure it's the fan, turn the system off and blow compressed air through it. Maybe dust has built up in the fans. Otherwise, just because it sounds bad, doesn't mean it is bad. Wait for an actual problem.

Breaker
08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
did you buy your 360 recently? i hope you kept your receipt. go return it for an exchange.

Yoshiman
08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
No. That sounds mechanical. The RROD (disease wise) is related to heat and poor solder joints. What you describe sounds like a failing fan, or if you are hearing wrong, maybe a failing disc drive. If you are sure it's the fan, turn the system off and blow compressed air through it. Maybe dust has built up in the fans. Otherwise, just because it sounds bad, doesn't mean it is bad. Wait for an actual problem.
I did buy a can of compressed air today and sprayed out the 360 (among other things). The sound did get quieter, but it's still there. I'll probably have to spray it out again.

did you buy your 360 recently? i hope you kept your receipt. go return it for an exchange.
Nah, I've had the system for a year, so even if I find the receipt, it's probably past the return date.

Breaker
08-25-2008, 11:36 PM
the RRoD does have a 3 year warranty. unfortunately everything else in the 360 stops at 1 year. it's pretty shitty when you think about it.

there are ways to force a RRoD and turn your system in for a new/refurbished one, but I'm not going to tell you how to do it.

use google and get your system fixed. or don't. *shrugs*