PDA

View Full Version : SotW 17 (winner is LostInHyru1e)

The_Amaster
08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
This weeks featured shots come from...

_L_
http://l.j-factor.com/zeldaclassic/neofirst031.png
"Anybody home?"

Amaster42
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/amaster42/zelda030-1.jpg
Hmmm, how to get past here...

LostInHyru1e
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/zelda167-2.jpg
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... Super Classic!

DarkFlameWolf
08-18-2008, 12:57 PM
L: too many styles and too many colors clash so badly it hurts. No vote here.

Amaster: Better, but I guess I'm an 'ol fashioned gal and I like my dungeon screens with a sense of 'closure'. So the open-ended feeling doesn't do it for me. Good design however, no vote here.

LIH: I like what you are doing with Classic to simulate mountain elevations. Voted.

Russ
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
_L_: Very good, nothign wrong here.
Amaster: It's good, but symetry doesn't go very well with SotW.
LostInHyru1e: I love classic! And this, this is beyond classic! It's amazing! *Votes*

Alex-Link
08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
_L_: I agree with DarkFlameWolf; too many colors, it just looks weird.

Amaster 42: Too gloomy and pale, I don't like it :/

LostInHyrule: Wow, this one looks amazing, proving the Classic tileset CAN look good *vote*

PizzaMan
08-18-2008, 08:36 PM
_L_: I like the pillars but the rest of the screen doesn't match.
Amaster 42:It's all right but a little to dark.
LostInHyrule:I've never seen Classic look so good.*vote*

Shazza Dani
08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
_L_: I'm not a fan of the dungeon/overword mixture. The perspective gets really wonky and it's not attractive.

Amaster42: (I love your avatar!) The screen doesn't do anything for me though. I don't like the palette, and like DFW said, the openness isn't my cup o' tea.

LostInHyru1e: Not much to complain about. Aside from certain parts where there's very little walk room at the edges of the screen, it all looks pretty good. *votes*

Sam Atoms
08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Whenever I'm about to enter a screenshot, I should ask SotW to let me know if LostinHyru1e is going to be entering that same week, so I can hold back my submission for the week after. :evil:

Aegix Drakan
08-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I like Amaster's.

_L_
08-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the criticism, guys! I've also noticed that those columns tend to jar with the surrounding landscape. I suppose I might as well remove them, or replace them with a smaller, darker stone thing.

Now, anyway...

LostInHyru1e: It's pretty good, but those dark boulders clash with the bright colours of everything else. Maybe give them the gray tint of the rock walls?
Amaster42: The problem is that your palette is dreary. Even the crystal in the centre looks like it's filled with mud.

LostInHyru1e
08-22-2008, 05:07 PM
_L_ - Looks good. The colors seem to mesh well(with the exception of the pillars), and the design is solid. I like indoor/outdoor dungeons a lot.

AMaster- well designed for Gameplay. A little plain, as far as detail goes, but not a bad shot.

Whenever I'm about to enter a screenshot, I should ask SotW to let me know if LostinHyru1e is going to be entering that same week, so I can hold back my submission for the week after. :evil:

You've made my day. :D

The_Amaster
08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
*sigh* Yeah, one of the problems with making each dungeon feel really unique visually is that that then really limits your pallete and decoration choices.

_L_: Good, but crowded. A fine gameplay shot, but as eye candy it's a tad confusing.

LostInHyru1e: Very nice as always. Very...natural for classic, not very many straight lines or edges.