PDA

View Full Version : So, how would I play this? [Emulation/Grey-area pirating]

AtmaWeapon
08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Normally I'd say this falls outside of AGN policy, but seeing as a couple of weeks ago several upstanding members of AGN were openly discussing sending a giant package of ROMs to Anthony I figure this will fly.

I found the Mother 3 Fan Translation (http://mother3.fobby.net/) recently. I'm a big EarthBound fan and I'd love to play this to make up for the disappointing lack of a US release for this game. BUT, it's going to require patching a ROM and playing the patched ROM. I'd love to play it on a GBA or the DS rather than an emulator on the PC, but I'm not sure what it would take to make that work.

I'd also like to go the "grey area legal" route and actually purchase the game before doing this, but I can't seem to find a way to import the game. I'd like information about this as well.

MottZilla
08-16-2008, 01:11 PM
You can buy it here: http://www.japangamestock.com/buy_video_games.php?cPath=84&products_id=12121

To play on a real system you need a GBA Flash Cartridge or Slot-B Device that plays both DS and GBA. I have such a device to recommend. It's the M3 Adapter. www.m3adapter.com

Remember, if it doesn't plug into the GBA cartridge port, it won't play GBA games. If you only want to play GBA, then you should just buy the M3Adapter and a suitable memory card to store files for it. If you want DS support (DS ROMs, not support to play GBA on DS), you'll need to get a PassMe 3. Their site lists dealers.

Nicholas Steel
08-17-2008, 01:49 AM
"grey area legal"
The "grey" area you speak of, is neither legal, nor illegal.

Revfan9
08-17-2008, 02:18 AM
How would it be pirating? It's perfectly legal to buy your own copy of the game, dump the cartridge data onto your PC, patch it, then put it on a flash cart and play it (Or play it on an Emulator on your PC, that's precisely what allows console emulation to be legal). Downloading the patch is legal as well since the patch itself only contains the changes made, not the original data itself.

MottZilla
08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
The legality is not the topic at hand. The rules here are not to link people copyrighted content downloads, i.e. ROM files. You can ask about anything you want, modchips, exploits, etc. But you may not ask or post links to places to get copyrighted stuff. Telling people or asking about devices that could be used for piracy is fine, even in the context of asking straight out about pirating help.

Darth Marsden
08-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Until the rumoured DS re-release of the trilogy emerges, I suspect the Flash Cartridge is the way to go. I've got one for the GBA, and it works pretty well, though I haven't used it in years. MottZilla's already given you links.

Breaker
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Normally I'd say this falls outside of AGN policy, but seeing as a couple of weeks ago several upstanding members of AGN were openly discussing sending a giant package of ROMs to Anthony I figure this will fly.

the only thing that isn't allowed is the posting or linking to illegal content. talking about it isn't illegal. we're not censoring you guys.

edit: mottzilla alreadn't detailed it out for ya. consider this just clarifying then.

Nicholas Steel
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
It's perfectly legal to buy your own copy of the game, dump the cartridge data onto your PC
He did not dump it from 'his' cartridge though :) anyways, it doesn't matter.