PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Tileset

Smokes_Quantity
08-14-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm just wondering, which tileset do you guys prefer and which tileset do you think is the "best"?

Also I've be trying to find a decent tileset with houses and a decent cliff pattern but I just can't seem to find one. Any ideas on were to possibly get one?

-Smokes

_L_
08-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Try the Comprehensive Game Boy Tileset (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets) but using only grayscale palettes. You can't really do much wrong with it.

Smokes_Quantity
08-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Cool, I guess I must of skipped past that one. I think I'm currently using one of the Pure Tilesets. I noticed it doesn't have the basic dungeons and cave built in it though.

EDIT: I guess most don't. Why is this? Oh how do I switch it to grayscale? I'm a little confused on this one.

Revfan9
08-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Every quest maker has their own individual preferences about what they want/need from a tileset. The likelyhood of finding a tileset that already exists that is "perfect" for you is so incredibly small that it may as well not exist.

That said, the best tileset will always be the one that you make yourself. If you aren't willing to put forth the effort to make your own, then don't expect to have a perfect tileset.

Smokes_Quantity
08-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow, well thats pretty much true. I guess I can try and make one. It can't be too hard can it?

Russ
08-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Here are some of my favorites, in order of preference.

DoR: http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=48

NewDoR (harder to use, but better looking): http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=69

PTUX (the newest official Pure set): http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=42

As for making a tileset, I am making one right now, and trust me when I say, it is a lot of work.

Smokes_Quantity
08-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I use PTUX as of right now. I finally decided I like it. Kinda confusing at times, but I love it. The only problem I have had is with the cave tileset. When I enter it ingame its like grey with blue outlines. Yet in the editor its fine.

I've added a few things, and hell yea its hard.

Revfan9
08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow, well thats pretty much true. I guess I can try and make one. It can't be too hard can it?

The process has a pretty tall learning cliff (Not a curve, a cliff). But once you get past that initial climb, it's really, really easy after that. It's all really just a matter of learning good design measures (how to make custom palettes, how to organize your combos and tiles well) and technical ones (how to rip new stuff into your tileset without it looking like crap).

If you attempt it, and you need help on anything, just ask. I love helping people (though I'm not very good at helping them).

Also: If you're going to take an existing tileset and modify to your needs, I would certainly NOT suggest you use PTUX or DoR as your base. Here are a few reasons why:

1. The palette sucks. Period. Both of them are so inflexible in their palettes its next to impossible to do anything substantial to it without breaking it. And if you wanna change the structure, have fun recoloring 200 pages of tiles...

2. There's already so much in these tilesets that it's next to impossible to make any major changes without having to do much more work than you should have to. You say you want to have a new Grass under everything in PTUX? Have fun with months of repetitive work...

3. There are far, far better options to use as a tileset base. I don't find PTUX or DOR to be very well organized (at least, not for me. Every quest maker has a different mindset as to where the most logical place to put stuff is.) so if you want to re-organize everything, there's already so much shit in there that it'll take you months to get it done. Hell, Classic is even better to use for modifications than Pure or DoR is (but Classic is one of the best, if not the best base to use...)

Now, Pure and DoR can be neat little ripping excercises for you. Get a copy of the Original Pure, and practice ripping stuff into its god-awful palette structure. If you can get so good at it that you can make things look nearly flawless in Pure, you can only begin to imagine the scope of what you'll be capable of when you start working with palettes that are far superior...

SpykStorm
08-16-2008, 11:21 PM
For your first quest, I recommend the PTUX set. It has everything you need to create a quest with interiors and cliffs, it's also pretty easy to use.

I wouldn't recommend creating your own until you get familiar to ZC.

Revfan9
08-17-2008, 01:25 AM
On the contrary: Building your first tileset is an excellent way to get to know ZC and how everything works.

Russ
08-17-2008, 02:54 AM
I use PTUX as of right now. I finally decided I like it. Kinda confusing at times, but I love it. The only problem I have had is with the cave tileset. When I enter it ingame its like grey with blue outlines. Yet in the editor its fine.

I've added a few things, and hell yea its hard.
Hey, it just got updated: http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=70

Use that one instead. It's much better.

Revfan9
08-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Ugh, hate Pure Remembrance.

It has all the flaws of Pure and all the flaws of DoR packed into a single tileset, without the upsides of either.

Russ
08-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Ugh, hate Pure Remembrance.

It has all the flaws of Pure and all the flaws of DoR packed into a single tileset, without the upsides of either.
Well, most people would veiw it as the upsides of both packed together, not the other way around. :tongue:

Smokes_Quantity
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
@Revfan9

Sounds intimidating, to be quite honest. The only thing I have ever ripped are sprites and things from the PTUX tileset. Kinda easy, yet it still has that learning curve. I have had a few problems with the tileset. As I explained in another topic of mine, the cave walls like to turn black and blue. Do you know why this is? Thanks for offering your help, it'll come in handy :)

@russadwan

Freaking sweet! Can't wait to try these. I'm trying to make just a simple game. With a few maps and 2 dungeons. Maybe I can make a larger version but for now I'm just getting use to ZC and this will help out alot..

EDIT: How Do I get the Pink Backgrounds out of the Pure Rememberence? Those are irratating me.

Pielord
08-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I use new DoR so I suggest that but pure or a custom tileset is fine to. Also you can get rid of the pink backgrounds by changing the first color in the palette to black or something. Don't know about caves, sorry.

Revfan9
08-17-2008, 10:23 PM
@Revfan9

Sounds intimidating, to be quite honest. The only thing I have ever ripped are sprites and things from the PTUX tileset. Kinda easy, yet it still has that learning curve. I have had a few problems with the tileset. As I explained in another topic of mine, the cave walls like to turn black and blue. Do you know why this is? Thanks for offering your help, it'll come in handy :)

@russadwan

Freaking sweet! Can't wait to try these. I'm trying to make just a simple game. With a few maps and 2 dungeons. Maybe I can make a larger version but for now I'm just getting use to ZC and this will help out alot..

EDIT: How Do I get the Pink Backgrounds out of the Pure Rememberence? Those are irratating me.

Using f4 to change the palette only changes how it looks to you in the editor: it doesn't affect the palette in the actual quest. To change the palette, edit the palette for the cave Dmap.

To get rid of the pink backgrounds, go to quest, graphics, palettes, main, and edit each Cset to get rid of the pink color yourself.

The problem with Pure and DoR both is that they try too hard to be a set for everyone, and what happens in the end is that you get something that's nearly unusable for anything serious. That's they're basic problem. Pure Remembrance only makes this problem much, much worse by spreading its butter even thinner.

Smokes_Quantity
08-18-2008, 04:44 AM
@Pielord
Yea, the only thing I don't like about DoR is the cliffs. From the screens they don't look very appealing.

@Revfan9
Alright cool, I'll try that. Oh the thing about the cave is it looks fine in the editor, but in game it looks goofy as hell. I can get pics later if you like?

Alright, I can try that in the morning and see if that works.

Yea. It's almost getting to many tiles. But when I looked at it quickly earlier it looked more organized. Maybe its just me, I'll have to see it again.