PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's contribution to the Olympics

Beldaran
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Hilarious. (http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting)

Pineconn
08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Haha, that's epic. Nice find.

The_Amaster
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Wouldn't have happened if it was a Mac :D

Beldaran
08-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Wouldn't have happened if it was a Mac :D

You're right, because Mac's can't run 95% of software.

Trevelyan_06
08-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, if it was a Chinese technician that made the mistake, it's guaranteed he won't be making it again. China was super anal about getting everything just right.

The_Amaster
08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
...depending on what you read into it, that thought has a slightly sinister bent...

MasterSwordUltima
08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
So how about that subliminal advertising?

Dann Woolf
08-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, if it was a Chinese technician that made the mistake, it's guaranteed he won't be making it again. China was super anal about getting everything just right.

Knowing how batshit crazy the Chinese are, that technician is probably dead by now.

...this is gonna sound stupid, but what were they trying to project before it BSOD'd? Advertisements?

Aegix Drakan
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
ROFL!

That's pretty damn funny. :P I never thought I'd find seeing a BSOD funny, but I guess I just did.

nice find.

Trevelyan_06
08-12-2008, 06:41 PM
...depending on what you read into it, that thought has a slightly sinister bent...

Exactly my point. With the way the Chinese are that tech is probably either fired at best, or dead at worst.

AtmaWeapon
08-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I bet his superiors wouldn't have noticed it either, had LUNIX nerds who haven't used Windows since 1995 make sure to plaster every blue screen they find all over the internet.

Public BSOD has been worse than AYB since pretty much 1999. It's like posting a picture of a burnt out light bulb: it's an equipment failure. Is it funny to look at a flashing red light? Then why is a BSOD funny?

Connect the dots: BSOD is almost always a hardware failure. There was a lot of bleeding-edge projection tech at the ceremonies. These days, it takes years before a company actually accidentally writes a good driver. Odds are it's some poor chinese rent-a-coder that's going to pay for this, not the guy unfortunate enough to have to push the button that the rent-a-coder forgot about.

*edit* Also super racism in this thread. "I bet with the way those Chinese are, they've already made him eat his dog and fed his testicles to his children amirite?"

Beldaran
08-12-2008, 07:13 PM
*edit* Also super racism in this thread. "I bet with the way those Chinese are, they've already made him eat his dog and fed his testicles to his children amirite?"

It isn't racism, it's "culturalism". The Chinese culture is known factually to be particularly brutal and inconsiderate of individuals.

It is perfectly acceptable to be prejudiced towards the current culture in China, as it is oppressive, brutal, and morally inferior.

Cloral
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
It's a political statement, not a racial one. Are you arguing AW that the current leadership in China doesn't suppress people, or make people 'disappear'?

Aegix Drakan
08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
It isn't racism, it's "culturalism". The Chinese culture is known factually to be particularly brutal and inconsiderate of individuals.

Exactly. This one time a train operator was a minute late, and his superiors drove him to suicide.

It's not like we're saying "they do this because they are Chinese" We are saying "they do this because their country's government and culture are pretty dman intolerant at the present (and past) time."

Speaking of which, I keep seeing Graffiti on the sidewalks of Montreal with the word "Tibet (olympic rings image here)" drawn in red.

...I dunno what to think of it. But still, I really don't think china should be hosting the olympic with that blatant human rights abuse still going on.

Dann Woolf
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM

It's not racism if it's true.

The Chinese ARE batshit fucking loco, everyone and their grandmother knows that.

Sam Atoms
08-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Public BSOD has been worse than AYB since pretty much 1999. It's like posting a picture of a burnt out light bulb: it's an equipment failure. Is it funny to look at a flashing red light? Then why is a BSOD funny?

Because Microsoft has been so widely reviled as an Evil Empire for so many years, that people get a kick out of seeing them stub a toe.

aces2022
08-19-2008, 05:48 AM
I always wondered why they chose to make that screen blue. I know that sounds stupid but if it was any other color it wouldn't sound like such an insult to Microsoft. Besides seeing people with more money than us mess up is always awesome. It reminds me this isn't a dream.

AtmaWeapon
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
How exactly is it Microsoft's fault that a hardware driver failed (what causes a blue screen)? It's like the people who want to sue Smith & Wesson because their guns are used to kill people. You make fun of the person at fault, not the provider of the platform. In this case, odds are it's a very immature proprietary driver made by some kind of Asian company and programmed by outsourced American or Indian code monkeys.

The only valid answer to my first question is, "Gee, if it was a video driver perhaps it's a good indication of why making the video subsystem part of the kernel was a stupid tradeoff, no matter how much performance it gives." I'd take that one.

I can stick a screwdriver in my USB port and blue screen any version of Windows. Linux doesn't like it either. Maybe we should start asking the OS vendors to handle the edge cases where hardware doesn't follow it's contract? They're psychic after all, right?

Aegix Drakan
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
They're psychic after all, right?

Well, if they aren't, Microsoft certainly has enough money to hire someone who is. ;)

bigjoe
08-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Itd be cool if instead, they played a youtube poop up there. That would have been funnier.

Aegix Drakan
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Or a rick roll. lol

Dann Woolf
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I always wondered why they chose to make that screen blue. I know that sounds stupid but if it was any other color it wouldn't sound like such an insult to Microsoft. Besides seeing people with more money than us mess up is always awesome. It reminds me this isn't a dream.

Because blue ain't a happy color. Blues music, blue balls, BSOD, all three are related to sadness.

Plus if I remember correctly there also used to be a red screen of death.