PDA

View Full Version : question on layers

Jenny
08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
ok, so i'm using the latest version of zc with the DoR tileset. it looks like the trees use layers because of the black background on them. my question is, are layers working right in this version? when I use the old way of doing it, they always end up on the main layer no matter which layer i use.

is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? thanks.

Pineconn
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Hm. Layers shooould work. Check these steps just to make sure you are doing it correctly. Make a screen off to the side (or on an entirely new map) with the tiles that you want to be on the layer. On the main screen, go Screen -> Layers (or press F12). Recall this basic chart about layers:

<Highest>
Layer 6
Layer 5
Flying enemies
Layer 4
Layer 3
All other enemies and Link
Layer 2
Layer 1
Combos on the main screen (this is often called "layer 0")
<Lowest>

In other words, layers 1 and 2 are under all enemies and Link, but will appear over top your main screen's combos. Layers 3-6 will cover up Link and all enemies. Layers 5 and 6 will cover up not only those, but also flying enemies. In this case, you would want the tree layer to be on layer 3, 4, 5, or 6. If you specifically don't want flying enemies to fly under the tree layers for aesthetic reasons, put these tiles on layer 5 or 6. Simple as that.

The solidity of tiles on layers 3-6 is always disregarded. However, the solidity of tiles on layer 1 or 2 is indeed respected. (That makes sense, right?)

Also, note that transparent colors will not appear on layers (hence the term "transparent"). This is important to utilize. Hopefully you already knew this. ;)

Ahh. It feels so good to help people out again. I should do this more often.

Jenny
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
ok thanks, I see what the problem was. i forgot to make a new map for the tiles. (here we go with 2 whole maps - 1 for layers and 1 for the real map lol)

Pineconn
08-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Eh, yeah. You'll start accumulating lots of "layer maps" or other unplayable maps if you build a big quest. If you are building a dungeon, you could use the screen on the same map, but 8 screens to the right, as each screen's layer screen. So you could use screen 08 as the layer screen for screen 00, and screen 3E as the layer screen for screen 36. (Then again, I don't know why I'm giving out this advice since I always make duplicate maps. ;))

Do whatever seems to work out the best for your quest-making needs.