PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility Cloak

The Desperado
08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/08/11/invisibility.cloak.ap/index.html

I want one. Locker room here I come.:D

The_Amaster
08-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh yeah, I read about this when it was in development last year.

Yeah, it looks pretty sweet. I can think of quite a few uses...:mischief:

Din
08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I remember when they just reflected the light off of a cylinder to "shroud" it. This looks like yet another era.

Russ
08-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I want one. It's amazing what scientists are doing. Fantasy is becoming reality.

Dann Woolf
08-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Why do I have the feeling that this will never be available to the public?

MottZilla
08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Well duh. Even if it were, you could imagine it would probably cost more than you'll make in your entire lifetime. Plus as soon as the military gets ahold of it, they will develop countermeasures. Ofcourse that already exists, water, paint, dust, etc. Remember just because you are invisible doesn't mean you suddenly aren't solid either.

Dann Woolf
08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Every single damn time.

Every time something really awesome that previously only existed in Sci-Fi films becomes a reality, the Man goes and shits all over it.

It's almost like they don't want humanity to become more technologically advanced.

Glenn the Grand
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
It's almost like they don't want humanity to become more technologically advanced.

All throughout history, those with power have feared the invention of new technology. Sometimes a single invention is all it takes to completely shake up the playing field. In the medieval days, European kings were quick to outlaw the Crossbow, for it was a tool that anyone could conceal and use with ease. It's bolts could punch through shield and plate mail like tin cans.

Even more striking was the gun. The most fearsome and muscular warriors were reduced to sitting ducks. The gun shaped our nation, and has the dubious honor of enabling the slavery and subjugation of Africa and the American Indians. The invention of the gun will have repercussions on the genetic diversion of the human race for millenia to come.

The best way to stay in power is to keep the playing field static. This is why governments love gun-control laws. Our government has a clear track record of systematically outlawing anything which might increase the physical power of an individual. Invisibility cloaks would easily fall into this category.

MasterSwordUltima
08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
LMFAO. Glenn the Grand. This topic is officially no longer about invisibility cloaks.

Dann Woolf
08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
All throughout history, those with power have feared the invention of new technology. Sometimes a single invention is all it takes to completely shake up the playing field. In the medieval days, European kings were quick to outlaw the Crossbow, for it was a tool that anyone could conceal and use with ease. It's bolts could punch through shield and plate mail like tin cans.

Even more striking was the gun. The most fearsome and muscular warriors were reduced to sitting ducks. The gun shaped our nation, and has the dubious honor of enabling the slavery and subjugation of Africa and the American Indians. The invention of the gun will have repercussions on the genetic diversion of the human race for millenia to come.

The best way to stay in power is to keep the playing field static. This is why governments love gun-control laws. Our government has a clear track record of systematically outlawing anything which might increase the physical power of an individual. Invisibility cloaks would easily fall into this category.

We'll see how quickly they change their tune once extraterrestrial life decides it wants to invade Earth, won't we?