PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Mac is dead

rock_nog
08-09-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/09/bernie.mac/index.html

Holy crap, another great actor/comedian taken before his time.

Beldaran
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Wow. I had heard earlier in the week that he had pneumonia, but they had upgraded his condition to "stable". That's just awful that he died.

Breaker
08-09-2008, 12:54 PM
"great" is stretching it a bit.

Brasel
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm sorry he died, as a premature death is always a bad thing, but man, I know for a fact his death will be played up and be all over the media for weeks, yet people like CPL Manual Lopez III don't receive any kind of recognition beyond their home towns for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Sorry, just bitter.

XMuppetSB
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
It sucks to hear about the death of Bernie Mac!:(
He was only 50 when he died today! That's a fairly early age to die at...:(
The article says that he had a lung disease, which was in remission since 2005, according to AP.:(

Modus Ponens
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm with Tony on this one. I didn't like him very much, but he's still a person, right? But yeah, things would be different if every soldier who got killed got a news story about him.

Beldaran
08-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, I thought Bernie Mac was funny. It's besides the point, of course.

His death is more real to me because I've seen him on TV and I'm familiar with him. While I am grateful to Manual Lopez for his service, I've never seen him, heard him talk, or gotten any kind of sense of who he is.

So for me, Manual Lopez is a name on a screen. Bernie Mac is a face, a voice, a sense of humor, and a media experience. It is psychologically understandable that his death would seem more tangible.

Brasel
08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Sigh, I see your point. I don't like it, but I can agree with you.

Beldaran
08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Sigh, I see your point. I don't like it, but I can agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, of course. Manual Lopez is a hero in my eyes. Bernie Mac is just a funny guy. As you know, I'm just saying that I have a stronger sense of surprise at hearing Bernie Mac is dead.

I obviously don't pray, so I don't thank god for people like Manual Lopez. However, even though I'm really embarrassed and sickened at some of the things my country does, I still have a little American flag on my desk and I still think about all the past and current men and women who afford me the freedom to have opinions and be a dick on the internet.

Prrkitty
08-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Tony, may God keep ALL of you safe while you all are there. And please pass my sympathy to Manual Lopez's family and friends.

We've lost another public personality ahead of his/her time. May God bless his family, friends and everyone involved.

ZTC
08-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I was surprised when a buddy sent me a text about it. Yet another person gone before their time...

Brasel
08-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Well, Lopez was a buddy of mine I lost during the last deployment out here. My whole thing about it is that the media and of course half the people in Hollywood really don't give a shit when they hear about a soldier die, but once someone who has really only entertained people during his lifetime dies, its a huge deal. Bernie Mac made some movies that I really enjoyed, but he's in no way any type of hero in my eyes. Thats why I get a little bitter about things when it happens.

Trevelyan_06
08-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Well, Lopez was a buddy of mine I lost during the last deployment out here. My whole thing about it is that the media and of course half the people in Hollywood really don't give a shit when they hear about a soldier die, but once someone who has really only entertained people during his lifetime dies, its a huge deal. Bernie Mac made some movies that I really enjoyed, but he's in no way any type of hero in my eyes. Thats why I get a little bitter about things when it happens.

Thusly what makes soldiers heroes. They go out and do a job not because it will get them fame or fortune but merely because it has to be done. One of the most unfair parts of a combat soldier's life is the fact that despite the fact he does insane things on a daily basis, it's part of his job description. As such, the general public starts to take these things for granted.

Breaker
08-10-2008, 01:19 PM

don't start generalizing. there are plenty of people that care very much about your friend and fellow soldiers. so much they want to withdraw our armed forces entirely so not one single soldier will die on foreign land.

bernie mac was a celebrity, seen on TV by millions once a week. your friend was not. that was the only difference. hence, he gets massive media attention when he dies. it doesn't make either of their deaths any less significant.