PDA

View Full Version : LIVE + Credit Card = Bad

Cloral
08-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Did you know if you buy a year of Xbox LIVE with a credit card, when that year is over they will automatically sign you up for another? It's true. What's also true is they give you no possible way to opt out of this. If you don't want it, you have to call them, wait an hour for a operator to pick up, and cancel that way.

So yeah, paying for LIVE with a credit card is a horrendously bad idea. Now I have to make a phone call and wait on the line for an hour so I can yell at a representative to get my account canceled. I'm posting this here so that anyone else who paid with a credit card doesn't get blindsided by it like I did, seeing as how they don't bother to tell you when you buy the year of service that they will do this.

Archibaldo
08-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Yeah, that will also continue to give you service even if your credit card is maxed out. Back in April I maxed out my credit card and I figured if my card couldn't be charged my membership would get canceled. Well about 2 months later I bought a year subscription at EB games and when I tried to put in the code it said there was still a credit card attached to my account so I called them up and it turns out they gave me 2 months of live and put the charge on hold until my credit card could be charged. Then when I paid off my credit card they ran the charge and thus I had to pay for 2 months of Live I didn't know I had. Yeah it sucks. But I got 13 months from a code so I won't have to deal with them using my credit card.

MasterSwordUltima
08-09-2008, 11:56 AM
So I just got finished playing Metal Gear Online on my PS3 FOR FREE.

*runs*

Breaker
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
it's also an incredible waste of money to pay with a credit card... you can get 13 months of xbox live for $32 on buy.com and similiar websites.

Matteo
08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Its not hard to call up someone and cancel a membership you know...

MottZilla
08-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Except when you're calling India to do it.

Rijuhn
08-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Except when you're calling India to do it.

Unless you're Indian...in India.

Fortis Nova
08-11-2008, 03:28 AM

I take it you're not familair with AOL then.

Cloral
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
It's not just AOL. For some stupid reason, every single service-based company has somehow come to the conclusion that it is good business practice to make it as hard as possible to cancel a subscription. For instance, when I moved I could no longer get my old ISP at my new address. Yet despite the fact that I had to cancel, it took me over an hour on the phone to actually do so.

Nicholas Steel
08-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Cloral, your experience with Xbox Live is a well known fact or it has been thoroughly discussed ages ago.

Cloral
08-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Well then I wish someone would've included me in that conversation, so I could've avoided that mistake.

phattonez
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I had to deal with the same thing for WoW (a subscription that I gave to my cousin as a present that he wanted). From there, I found out that it's much easier to talk to the bank or credit card company to hold those charges. Once Microsoft stops getting its money, they'll keep contacting you, but you don't have to worry because there's nothing that they can do.