PDA

View Full Version : Fable 2 - 12 hours long....

Breaker
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/fable-2-main-quest-will-be-around-12-hours-long/

wow, this just made my decision whether to buy Fable 2 or Fallout 3 much easier...

ill purchase fable 2 when it gets a Platinum Hits release and costs $9.99. no way is a $59.99 game worth only 12 hours of gameplay.

The_Amaster
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
That...that seems wrong somehow.
12 hours, I mean, 12 hours? For a title like this? Are they idiots?

Beldaran
08-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Peter Molyneaux is an idiot. I am tired of him flapping his arms and crowing about how he's making a megagame that will redefine existence and cause the earth to spin the other direction and have full blown turing complete AI with holographic realistic star trek graphics, and then deliver a 12 hour demo that features some cobbled together morality dynamics.

Yes I am talking about Fable 1 and now apparently Fable 2 as well.

Breaker
08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
fable 1 was a very enjoyable little action/adventure RPG, but nowhere near what was promised and described. im sure the sequel will be fun too. the only problem i have is the $59.99 pricetag for "next gen" games that you can knock out in a day. i remember a long time ago it used to take me several weeks if not months to beat a good RPG. these days the emphasis is all on graphics and everybody's forgotten about gameplay and content.

fortunately there are still a few good publishers left that put out quality titles... mass effect, fall out, oblivion, lost odyssey, blue dragon, etc all have 30-40+ hours of quality gameplay, and definitely worth the pricetag.

ShadowTiger
08-08-2008, 04:48 PM
@ ^ - Hell yes. It's amazing how much gameplay games these days sacrifice just to make things look pretty. My sister rants on and on about it whenever we enter a GameStop. Her and my dad (Gamers.) would take any point and click adventure game above one of the modern games any day. If not for those Episodic Sam & Max games, they probably would be doing some actual work these days! :p

I remember playing Baldur's Gate for no less than six months. Not even on and off. Every weekend, I was making some sort of advancement; exploring a new area; advancing the characters' levels. Saving and loading. Over and over again, just to see everything.

These days, even if I do that, the game only lasts me less than 20 hours. Heavy Metal FAKK 2, I managed to finish in about ten hours, after religiously searching for each and every secret. (Though it was my third playthrough of the game, to be fair.)

I did play Fable. Just a bit of it though, I guess. I was mostly hanging around the early areas to get money for things. It was okay. Won't get Fable 2. No. Not when Fallout 3 will be occupying all of my time, assuming it'll run on my PC.

FirstWizZedd45
08-08-2008, 06:52 PM
For those of you who have actually played Fable, you know that there are lots of other things to do than just the main quest. The article doesn't say that the game itself is only 12 hours long, just the main quest. It even states that the disappointing 12 hours of gameplay does not include all the gambling, side quests, going off and killing every living person, buying out your own town and the hours upon hours of other things you can do with the game. Yes, that is a short main quest and very disappointing, but it will still be well worth the money!

SUCCESSOR
08-08-2008, 07:11 PM
It usually takes me about two to three times the core hours of game play to "finish" an RPG. So 12 hours is more like 24 to 36 hours and about one to two months of gameplay in my schedule. That is still good if it's just the core game. If there is a plethora of sidequests, minigames, and exploration to do it would make the game very desirable to me. Assuming the main storyline is great. Cause if the story isn't great the game is just a 12 hour chore with gimmicks.

And think about it. Games like Final Fantasy have almost all their extras lined up in the main direction of the game never really adding too much extra game play to the core.

The_Amaster
08-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, this is why I buy all my games used, unless I'm assured of absolutly awesome replayability/length (read: Brawl)

If anyone remembers an old game called Kid Chameleon on the Genesis, now that was bang for your buck. It's not even an RPG, it's a platformer, and to this day I haven't beaten it, it has that many frickin' levels. Nowadays I'm lucky if I get 15-20 hours from a game before it starts becoming about "multiplayer" and "bonuses" and crap.

AtmaWeapon
08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
My opinion of Peter Molyneaux is that he's like the little Will Wright that couldn't. I believe the quote I used in the past (that someone put in their signature maybe?) was that every night, Peter Molyneax stares at the poster of Will Wright he has over his bed and masturbates himself to sleep while crying and asking himself why his games don't do as well.

Will Wright promises the moon then tends to deliver 95% of the moon a few years late. Peter Molyneaux promises the solar system then tends to deliver a mini-golf course a little late.

I agree, as well; at $59.99 for a 12-hour game I could easily get the same amount of entertainment by watching 6 movies or spend a few more hours reading good books. Heck, in 12 hours I could learn another programming language for about the same price.

DarkDragoonX
08-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I remember playing Baldur's Gate for no less than six months. Not even on and off. Every weekend, I was making some sort of advancement; exploring a new area; advancing the characters' levels. Saving and loading. Over and over again, just to see everything.

No kidding. The first play through of the whole Baldur's Gate saga, from the original through Throne of Baal, is easily a 200-300 hour experience. It's just mind blowing. And then you can play through AGAIN to take the evil/good path, use different party members, etc, etc. The sheer size of the series is utterly jaw-dropping.

AlexMax
08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
wow, this just made my decision whether to buy Fable 2 or Fallout 3 much easier...

If the rumors I'm hearing about Fallout 3 being a more violent Oblivion are true then I'd hold on to my money unless you're getting the PC version.

Beldaran
08-09-2008, 11:55 PM
If the rumors I'm hearing about Fallout 3 being a more violent Oblivion are true then I'd hold on to my money unless you're getting the PC version.

This doesn't make any sense.

Oblivion is awesome. Violence is awesome. Oblivion with more violence plus guns and explosions can only be more awesome.

Breaker
08-09-2008, 11:59 PM
uhh.. i loved oblivion. i also love my big screen plasma tv and xbox 360. fallout 3 is going to be awesome. im not sure what you were trying to say either, AM. i rarely play computer games anymore at all.

ShadowTiger
08-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes, I am at least mostly convinced that Fallout 3 will be quite the experience. It does sound as if Fallout 3 will be more like a violent Oblivion with a few interesting new features, (It actually really does, now that I think about it.) after comparing how much has changed between Fallout 2 and 3 in terms of gameplay and engine, and comparing that to what Oblivion can offer. Then you compare Oblivion to STALKER, which will be the closest experience to what Fallout 3 will be, from what I'm seeing, and yes, Fallout 3 will be a lot like all of those, but will definitely be sufficiently different to warrant its purchase.

That was a whole lot of mindless comparison just to say "Get it." In terms of the rubble and such being so bland, the Fallout series usually varies its external experiences via more things than just rubble. I myself am someone who prefers variety, and I didn't notice anything bland about Fallout's areas, because I was adequately distracted by what was going on in the game, rather than what was on the ground. (Save for the occasional green puddle, which only added even more of a distraction to that effect. :) It added setting and plot at the same time.)

... Oh wait, this topic was about Fable. :p I think it's kinda cool that people would rather talk about Fallout. ^^, XD

AtmaWeapon
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
If the rumors I'm hearing about Fallout 3 being a more violent Oblivion are true then I'd hold on to my money unless you're getting the PC version.This is kind of like saying, "If the rumors I'm hearing about The Dark Night being a more intense and psychological Batman Begins, you might want to hold on to your money." Exactly what part of "improved version of very well-received game" is the part I should be worried about?

Or is it just your job to hate every game by default for some pretentious kind of "I'm a better nerd than you" complex? "Oh you just heard about <indie band/anime/author>? Yeah I was into that last year; it's so old now. I'd tell you what I'm following now but then it'd become mainstream and watered down."

Archibaldo
08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
uhh.. i loved oblivion. i also love my big screen plasma tv and xbox 360. fallout 3 is going to be awesome. im not sure what you were trying to say either, AM. i rarely play computer games anymore at all.

I thought you weren't supposed to use plasma TVs for video games? Since video games have a lot of still images that can burn into the TV.

DarkDragoonX
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
This is kind of like saying, "If the rumors I'm hearing about The Dark Night being a more intense and psychological Batman Begins, you might want to hold on to your money." Exactly what part of "improved version of very well-received game" is the part I should be worried about?

Actually, for once I'm in agreement with AlexMax. Without a mod to remove the level-scaling of Oblivion (obviously only available for the PC version), the game was utter garbage. If Fallout 3 suffers from some of the same retarded game design choices Bethesda made with Oblivion, then the only hope is to get the PC version and use mods to remove the crap.

Seriously, Oblivion isn't even worth playing if you aren't using OOO.

Breaker
08-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to use plasma TVs for video games? Since video games have a lot of still images that can burn into the TV.

do you even own a next-gen system? most games these days do not have any still images. there are a few, but still, it would take days for it on the screen for burn-in to set in. i've had a 360 and my TV for almost a year now and it still looks like it did the day i pulled it out of the box.

Actually, for once I'm in agreement with AlexMax. Without a mod to remove the level-scaling of Oblivion (obviously only available for the PC version), the game was utter garbage. If Fallout 3 suffers from some of the same retarded game design choices Bethesda made with Oblivion, then the only hope is to get the PC version and use mods to remove the crap.

Seriously, Oblivion isn't even worth playing if you aren't using OOO.

Please show me a link that says Fallout 3 is following Oblivion's level system. I'd love to see it.

MottZilla
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
The worries of TV burn-in are from the days of games with very simple graphics that often do not change ever or have fixed status bars that stay on screen almost the whole time. It can still happen sure, but it's alot less likely. Though I have seen some NASTY burn-in on some Star Wars Episode 1 Racer Arcade projection monitors. It seems the game would sometimes freeze/lockup and no one would reset it leaving it to burn in the frozen image on the very expensive monitor. Not very smart. But the point is, it takes a situation like this to do it. And the 360 forinstance will automatically dim the screen if you stop pressing controls. While burn-in may happen still, the intensity would be less. And perhaps with it being dimmed it might take longer to suffer burn-in but I'm not sure.

And finally, what does it matter? You can buy a new TV.

Skulkraken
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Here's a link to some info about the limited level-scaling in Fallout 3:

http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/desslock-explains-level-scaling-on-fallout-3/

Basically, each area will have its own encounter level, which decides the level and gear of creatures and gets locked in the first time you visit it. New areas can and will get their encounter levels scaled up if you get stronger before entering them. However, they never scale down, so running into a Deathclaw at level 1 will still result in pain.

...And I don't really care about the next Fable, no matter what insane promises Molyneaux makes about it. The guy should stop wasting so much time with that and just let his games do the talking.

Breaker
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
That is completely different than Oblivion where the entire game was scaled to your level. You could literally beat the game before hitting level 5. I admit that was very flawed. The new system in Fallout sounds very reasonable.

Skulkraken
08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Agreed, though I still won't be getting Fallout 3 either, since I lack a computer capable of running it right now.

Warlock
08-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't know what's wrong with Molyneaux. He *used* to be great. I mean, Dungeon Keeper, Populous (try Populous: Beginnings for a pretty awesome 3d RTS, probably the first real one), etc. Around Black & White, he just completely started to suck. He promises all this crap, then never delivers. So I've stopped caring about what he does, it's always crap.