PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me the appeal of LBP?

Cloral
08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. I was reading the story at Kotaku about the pre-order bonus sack guys, and noticed that just about everyone was going completely orgasmic over the prospect. This made me realize just how much I don't care about this game. So, as the title states, can someone explain to me just what it is that is exciting so many people about this game?

edit: LBP = Little Big Planet, by the way.

Breaker
08-06-2008, 07:05 PM
It looks like it'd be fun for a few hours then collect dust, which is a common characteristic of a lot of new titles coming out lately. Fancy graphics and very little gameplay. When the cost of games is $59.99, I expect atleast 30+ hours of content. These days I'm lucky if I get half that.

edit; there are a few exceptional titles that have been released amidst the garbage though... civ4rev, blue dragon, lost odyssey, etc. im actually quite pleased with the Xbox360 in the current "console war". i have a wii that collects dust and considered purchasing a PS3, but it would probably do the same. the current library of games and media center capabilities triumps all others. i use it so much that i've actually considered cancelling my cable subscription. especially considering the news that we'll be able to stream netflix movies onto it in the fall.

wow, i've definitely become a 360 fanboy. *shrugs*

The_Amaster
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I want it really just as like a physics/ideas drafting board, messing around with stuff and seeing what happens. Plus I just find creation games a lot of fun.

Mind you I don't have a PS3, and no-one I know does, so...

EDIT: Breaker, when you say civ4rev, do you mean a Civ 4 expansion, or Civilization Revolution?
Only I'm interested in Civ Rev and I wanted to talk to someone who's played it.

Breaker
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
im talking about civ rev for the xbox 360. amber and i both fight over who gets to play when we're home from work. it's a very easy game to pick up and play, and i love how games last only 2-4 hours at a time. when you bump up the difficulty it becomes extremely challenging too. i only wish that you could play it coop locally. not many games do that anymore on "next gen" consoles.

edit; another game we play to death is Culdcept Saga. if you've never heard of it and love boardgames like D&D and Monopoly then you're missing out.

The_Amaster
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, as soon as I move out of my parents and can get a 360, Culdcept Saga is one I was planning to buy. Civ Rev, I'll probably get for DS, for portability.

MottZilla
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
wow, i've definitely become a 360 fanboy. *shrugs*

I don't think you are a fanboy when your positive opinion of the 360 is based on actual good content and not love for the Microsoft or Xbox brand name. I certainly don't praise Microsoft for their name. But I do think the Xbox 360 is the best console on the market at the moment. I too would just have a Wii or PS3 collecting dust.

I have no idea what the fuss over LBP is about. It looks like a neat little customizable platformer. But that's not going to have much lasting power in my opinion.

Warlock
08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
LBP = a game on PS3 that doesn't look like it will suck (well to other people anyways, I personally think the concept is dumb). Whereas, most other PS3 games.... suck (or are cross platform) :P I think that's where the hype is coming from.

AlexMax
08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
If you want a game you can play for hours and hours, give skate. (http://www.ea.com/skate/) a try. It's a realistic skateboarding game that actually relies on player skill to make good tricks instead of doing 10,000 foot grinds up the side of an oil rig with a single button press. There's a career mode, online play, movie recording (with the ability to share movies with other people) and of course you can freeskate the entire (contiguous) city looking for lines. Best of all, Skate 2 is on the horizon, which means that you can pick 1 up for cheap and also look forward to all the awesome shit they're going to add to #2, like footplants, better downhill courses, the ability to walk around, the ability to move objects to trick off of them, expanded movie recording and stuff like that.

If you're unconvinced, the downloadable demo covers the small skate park you start out in, and it only limits your career progrsesion (you only get to do a few 'events' and you can't exit the skate park), not your bag of tricks.