PDA

View Full Version : Big Tektite boss

Saffith
08-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey. Turns out I still exist.
So, I've been away from ZC for far too long. I'm finally trying to get back into it, starting with this.

Script (http://saffith.homestead.com/files/zcscripts/BigTektite.z)
Demo quest (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8V1T4TTM)
Demo quest (alternate location) (http://depositfiles.com/files/ifmog7sa3)
Requires build 846 or above

A giant tektite boss. Well, it doesn't actually have to be giant; 1x1 will work fine.
First it goes through a series of "jumping frenzies," during which it jumps around as much as it can. It will either move randomly or try to hit Link. After a few of those, it'll perform a super jump attack in which it jumps off the top of the screen, follows Link around for a while (with just its shadow visible), and tries to fall straight down on him. The super jump does extra damage, and it can stun Link if he's on the ground, but it also leaves the tektite stunned for a while. It can also be made to fire projectiles when jumping or landing.

It's made to be as customizable as possible. Between arguments and named constants, you can tweak almost every aspect of its behavior. The demo quest shows off seven increasingly difficult configurations. You shouldn't have much trouble with them with the given equipment. Well, except for the last one, which is just really cheap. The cheat code's 1234.

I'll update it as I think of new features and as ZScript supports them. Let me know of any bugs or suggestions.

(Update: Added options to recover from stun when hit and link jump height and distance)
(Update: New jumping algorithm, adjustable projectile point offset, minor bugfixes)

Majora
09-28-2008, 07:10 PM
(I don't think it's gravedigging yet, in a few days it will xD)

On to the point: The script doesn't work. I imported/compiled (which it did with no problems) it, set up all the D Variables, combos, and the puppet enemy in a room, the shadow FFC too, used 32 and linked it to FFC 1. Like I said already, it won't work. Maybe I did something wrong (and I wouldn't be surprised), but I checked and everything is identical to the test quest (minus the D variables on the FFC and I think some variables in the script itself, which weren't like, IMPORTANT variables, but the ones that could be safely edited.) The shadow FFC just stays in the upper-left of the screen, and no tekite ever appears. >_<

Saffith
09-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Hm... I think it would only do that if D0 is set wrong or the enemy isn't appearing. Well, as long as the script and tile are set, of course. If those are set right, it ought to at least appear...

Majora
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Just checked, everything's set up right... no tekitite >_<

Saffith
09-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Try replacing the enemy with an octorok or something. If the FFC part is set up correctly, it'll definitely do something. You could also try throwing in a Trace() or two to see how far it's getting.

Majora
10-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, I put a normal Octorok in, and all that happens is that he falls from the ceiling, moves in erratic fashion (i.e. just moving at random in a way where you can tell the script is doing something), and that's about it. No FFCs show up.

Saffith
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Just the tiles, then. Make sure that the FFC's tile width and height are set correctly, and the combo width and height are both 16. If that's not it, try setting it to use a random tile, like a wall or something, and be sure it appears and changes.

Majora
10-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I assigned the FFC some garbage (non-sensical) combos, and no dice. The D0 variable is set to 22 (octorok) which appears, but the FFC stays in the middle of the screen (where I placed it), the shadow FFC (FFC 1 is Linked to 32) doesn't move either. The Octorok still moves about though.

Saffith
10-05-2008, 07:26 PM
The D0 variable is set to 22 (octorok) which appears,
Oh! That's the problem. Don't set it to the type of enemy, but to its position in the list, between 1 and 10.

Majora
10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
LET'S TEST DIS BISH OUT!

It WORKS.

Except he jumps kinda low and he doesn't move fast enough (i.e. his jumps look really fake because he moves through the "air" so slowly)... and when he jumps he makes a different sound that I expected which is probably my fault so I'll fix it.

EDIT: he doesn't flash either, which I also suspect is my fault, and his GO BOOM is wrong, but I'll look into it.

Saffith
10-06-2008, 01:44 AM
I think I'll add an option to link jump distance and height. That should alleviate the odd movement problem. But play around with the options a bit, and see if you can't get it to where you like it.

Edit: All right, that's done. Not sure about the flashing... Are you using 8-bit color? I think that might stop it from working. Otherwise, as long as the constant is set, I don't see what could go wrong there.