PDA

View Full Version : legos are insane

Breaker
08-01-2008, 02:35 AM
I've been looking for a little hobby to keep me busy and entertained when I'm home from work. Amber and I started reminencing how much fun it was when we were kids playing with Legos.. specifically the Star Wars sets.

I did a quick google search and was surprised to find they're still just as much fun and even more impressive than ever before.. did I mention how @#$^ing expensive they are??

http://i33.tinypic.com/2hqryfr.jpg

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=416374;category_id=323;pcid 1=;pcid2=

This is the LEGO Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon. 3 feet long and over 5 thousand pieces for $399.99. :|

of course the only ones I'd be interested in making are hard to find and cost a rediculous amount of money. I'm not sure I can justify an expense like that on a set of legos.

I'm specifically looking for the Lego Slave 1.

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=6209

It's sold out everywhere and I'm skeptical about some of the ebay listings for it. "all the pieces should be included, sry for the poor picture my camera is broken"

have any of you invested in any sets like these and built it to completion?

Shazza Dani
08-01-2008, 06:39 AM
"Includes Boba Fett, Han Solo in carbonite, Bespin Guard, Dengar and IG-88."

IG-88! Awesome!

I used to buy a lot of Legos, but I never had any of those huge $100+ sets. I had a few Star Wars sets, but I was more into the medievil ones.

ShadowTiger
08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Same, generally. I loved the medieval stuff. I used to build little trap dungeons on my desk and drawer when I was a lot younger. It was architecturally interesting, but damn if I couldn't reach into any of the secret passages to get my guys' various limbs out of the traps and back onto their models...

The_Amaster
08-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Nah, I never spent more than a hundred bucks on one set. Still, if I ever had the money to throw around I'd definitly get one of those.

mrz84
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Used to love getting the space/castle/pirate sets. They have taken those toe hell and back now though with so many different things I can't keep up with them anymore. I still have most of my old legos that I just use for random stuff now. :kitty:

slothman
08-01-2008, 02:43 PM
To justify that much money just think that some people spend $1000's of dollars in motorcycles or big screen TVs.
$400 is a drop in the bucket.

Brasel
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm actually really excited to pick my legos back up again when I get out of the army and own a house. I have a ton of classic castle legos and such and I want to get into some crazy castle building stuff as a hobby. I would really hate to spend an assload of money on it, but I know I will, but I'll be happy with it I'm sure. I have to buy all kinds of assorted pieces and random stuff to create what I'm hoping to create. I honestly don't like the idea of spending that much money on one set. I don't really like building the sets lego puts out. I'd rather build something original that I can call my own.

vegeta1215
08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
I loved playing with Legos when I was little. I had a lot of the themed sets like pirates, medieval knights, and space troops. I was such a big Zelda dork when I was little that I even made Zelda characters with Lego pieces, and a castle with a Triforce and everything :D I've never built anything that big though.

They have lots of cool sets nowadays, but damn they're expensive!

Shazza Dani
08-01-2008, 07:54 PM
To justify that much money just think that some people spend $1000's of dollars in motorcycles or big screen TVs.
$400 is a drop in the bucket.

Yeah, $400 isn't too much if Legos are a big hobby for you. I'm sure a lot of people here shell out hundreds of dollars for their hobbies, like, say, video games...

ZTC
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Whenever I go to garage sales, I always look for legos. I had a nice find a few years back which had several partial sets for about $20. It included some of the newer space sets, Ultimate TIE Inteceptor, Boba Fett's Slave I, the Millinum Falcon, and a bunch of other stuff in two large boxes. Now all I need are the build guides and the extra pieces necessary to finish these sets.
I knew they were expensive, but $400? Crikey...

Breaker
08-02-2008, 12:42 AM
through my searching last night i found a few sites that have uploaded the build guides as PDFs. im sure you can find them by doing a google search.

Aegix Drakan
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
:P I used to LOVE legos too. I even made a huuuuge backstory for most of the cooler lego guys.

I had 2 universes: My room, and the basement. in my room, 90% of the legos were monsters (random legos pieces put together in a way that looked like they were monsters. The story involved monster wars and fighting "shinra", then a dark wizard, and ended with a blast of "ultima" which turned the world into a desert) , and the basement which was mainly lego people (various stories, ranging from everyday life, to epic journeys). ...and the stories I made were so crappy... XD A good chunk of the characters were taken from FF7, and other games I played back then. Hell, I even have a "Ness" who looks NOTHING like Ness!

This one time I even made this whole world with various other "worlds" in it (with just 2 different sets), just so my friend and I could do a whole RPG thing through it. I had this city place, which had an ice cream joint, a rocket, and a bunch of guys from "Shinra" running it (but they had become good guys after a lot of different stories). Then I had a medieval segment, with this really crappy castle made of random parts, and with a working drawbridge and trapdoor to drop people into the dungeons. And lastly, a desert segment with some wacky platfomring thingy (the jungle segment was ONE TINY ROOM, so it's not worth yapping about).

:P What amazes me is that the WHOLE thing actually WORKED. It had a cohesive path to follow, with boss fights, hidden items, shops, and shortcuts all around. Plus, I had minimal other sets. My best firend was TONS of cool sets (Castles, underwater, jungle...I was a bit envious back then)

...since then I have since given up almost entirely on legos. All I really have are a few random characters (like the above-mentioned Ness) and this one space ship I modified from a larger one, which I'm pretty proud of. All the rest has gone to my little brother, who has some how gone from really crappy lego builder to grand master lego builder. Seriously, he's even better than I was! (although he doesn't make themed, or fantasy places). His main story is a war going on in a town, and the bad guys are actually secretly ruling th place. And it's not hard to see why...You have Darth Vader walking down the street (past tanks) to the local pub, which is full of guys with guns. XD

...:P I've actually thougt of doing one last adventure with him, but I just can't find the time, or inspiration.

...HOLY CRAP, that' a long post... 0_o sorry about the wall O text, but I couldn't help the Nostalgia...

Dann Woolf
08-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Psscht, real men build the Millennium Falcon with the basic bricks.

vegeta1215
08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
legoes are insane...indeed they are: http://kotaku.com/5035342/a-moving-donkey-kong-diorama-made-of-lego

MasterSwordUltima
08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
http://www.bricklink.com/ - the eBay of Lego.

http://www.minifigcustoms.com/ - Probably the coolest thing that has ever happened to Lego. I only ever made an Auron though. One of the better examples of how incredibly creative the Lego community is.

Breaker
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I bought myself a few of the star wars sets and started putting them together last night.. Legos have evolved quite a bit since I was a little kid. my parents could never afford to buy the fancy sets like these so I'm spoiling myself. I got ahold of an X-Wing replica for 39.99 at ToysRUs that's apparently rare and going for $80+ on ebay. I didn't realize how many people collected these things. I might hold on to this one and just ebay it at a later date to pay off the other sets I bought.

Aegix Drakan
08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
legoes are insane...indeed they are: http://kotaku.com/5035342/a-moving-donkey-kong-diorama-made-of-lego

0_o Holy crap. That is just pure win right there.

Funky Bear approves!
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/absoldragon/HappyBear.gif

MasterSwordUltima
08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
At my local airsoft field, theres a group of players who have P90's, and they each paint it and deck it out in some kid-like theme, for instance Hello Kitty P90, Rubber Ducky P90.

Because of this thread, I think I'm going to make a Lego P90.